Hello from Maine. Dang, it's cold!

staugbill

Hello from Maine. Dang, it's cold!
« on: 23 Jan 2019, 04:41 pm »
I don't live in St Augustine any more. And, Dang, It's cold here. What was I thinking?

Some years ago I bought some B&K components (Amp is 50WPC, I believe) when I couldn't afford to get McIntosh/Klipsch gear.
Now, Last week I set up the B&K in my workshop (where I rebuild old sailboats). I picked up a pair of Baby Advents to go with the B&K.

The problem... There is very little volume. The Advents must not be very efficient???

Question: What can I get for efficient speakers? Have been looking at small Klipsch R-15 or RB-51.
               Or, should I just invest in a larger power amp?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from Maine. Dang, it's cold!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2019, 04:54 pm »
Welcome Staugbill :thumb:
Imo you should invest in small tube Single Ended amps as Decware SE34 Rachel or order a integrated Inspire FireBottle from Dennis Had at Ebay and use hi efficiency speakers, as Klipsch RF7III or used RF7II or RF83 or RF63, or Tekton two way, stay away from 3 way speakers.

Your best solution for a small tube amp is a full range driver as Audio Nirvana Alnico:
https://commonsenseaudio.com/an15alnicospecs.jpg
Or even cheap Ferrite:
https://commonsenseaudio.com/an10classicspecs.jpg

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2019, 05:02 pm »
Question: What can I get for efficient speakers?
Speaker with low sensitivity, say 95dB dont have fast transient and need a heavy, big, expensive PP amps with lots of transistors at output.

But if you manage to get a SE First Watt or Class D you will spare retube expense.

staugbill

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2019, 05:10 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions FullRangeMan, but, I will leave the speaker construction to experienced professionals and search for something more affordable.

twitch54

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2019, 05:18 pm »
Welcome, what part of Maine ? I've spent a lot of time over the years in the Moosehead Lake region, one of my favorite bodies of water in America.

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2019, 05:19 pm »
Question: What can I get for efficient speakers?
Speaker with low sensitivity, say 95dB

95db is not low sensitivity, just the opposite.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2019, 05:33 pm »
Its not low sensitivity for a 100W SS amp,
but when your amp is a 45 tube (1.5W) or 1626 (0,75W) 95dB is slow and solid rock.

doorman

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2019, 05:49 pm »
Its not low sensitivity for a 100W SS amp,
but when your amp is a 45 tube (1.5W) or 1626 (0,75W) 95dB is slow and solid rock.
Not my experience, maybe visit the Decware website and see what Steve recommends, depends on many factors.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2019, 06:40 pm »
Welcome!  Maybe time to get an amp that heats up things :lol:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2019, 06:49 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC staugbill   :thumb:   

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2019, 07:21 pm »

+1!

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2019, 12:50 am »
bump

twitch54

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2019, 01:28 am »
I suspect Bill is stoking the winter fire in preparation for the upcoming 'Polar Vortex' !!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2019, 05:37 am »
I've run across an effeciency number of 89 dB for your Advents.  If correct,  25 W/channel and up should drive them just fine... unless you are trying to fill a cathedral with 6" woofers.  I run a pair of 91 dB speakers with a 15 W amp and have never come close to needing more power. 
If you are getting "very little volume"  I suspect there is an issue apart from the speaker efficiency. 
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2019, 04:44 pm by S Clark »

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2019, 04:48 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle Staugbill!

Small, sealed speakers usually do have lower than average sensitivity. Of course, "small" by 1970s standards is pretty big by modern standards.

This old Stereophile review of "Smaller Advent Speakers" says the 1972   9" woofer model is about 85dB. Advent specified only 15W minimum recommended power. Your 50W amp should be able to make ~98dB, which is very loud. If not then your input signal voltage to the amp is probably too low, or amp has a prob.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2019, 05:07 pm »
The Smaller Advent is an 8.5" woofer two way, but the Baby Advent was a later model with a 6.5" woofer and higher efficiency.   50 watts should drive it to loud levels.  Something else is likely to be the problem.