Mono chassis $49 + shipping

TomS

Re: Mono chassis $49 + shipping
« Reply #80 on: 17 May 2012, 09:58 pm »
Tom,
Would you kindly explain and/or diagram the SPST switch and it's purpose?  Sorry, if I understood it earlier I forgot... :scratch:
It puts the amp into a standby mode. Basically, input signal does not flow to the output. I use it as a pseudo mute to change cables, left/right tests, etc. When you put a big AC connector in the switched IEC the AC rocker is a little hard to get to.

Wiring is just nAMPON wire (black) from the 4-pin input connector to the switch. The other side of the switch goes to ground. Switching to ground enables the amp.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #81 on: 17 May 2012, 10:30 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:35 am by James Romeyn »

mr_bill

« Reply #82 on: 17 May 2012, 11:02 pm »
Mute switch is not necessary - don't want.

We can use our own binding posts?  you are just drilling the holes, not using the Apex in all of the chassis - right?

Thanks for all your work James.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #83 on: 17 May 2012, 11:10 pm »
I'll measure insulator diameter (Apex did not know).

10mm if you want exact or 25/64".  This is what mine were and what the program is made for. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #84 on: 17 May 2012, 11:21 pm »
I will post pics tomorrow of the Apex binding posts with measurements....

HT cOz

« Reply #85 on: 17 May 2012, 11:24 pm »
BTW, last I looked HT CoZ had only one orphan mono chassis so it's this or dust off your drill press.

No worries mate, I will have dual mono's available within a few weeks at roughly your two chassis plus shipping cost.  The trip from the Midwest "their birth location" is pretty quick too.   :thumb:

:rock: :rock:
Robert

TomS

« Reply #86 on: 18 May 2012, 02:12 am »
Thanks Tom. 

I ordered a dozen binding posts from Apex in CA.  Upon arrival I'll measure insulator diameter (Apex did not know).  Apex has "maybe three or four hundred pairs" remaining.  Apex adds 3% for CC, takes phone orders, and adds service fee "a little over the shipping fee."

I'm leaning against the mute switch function.

Tom: what is estimated minimum wait time after unplugging AC mains to plug/unplug the XLR with no damage risk to amp/speakers?

Buyer's note: you require either interconnect with XLR male in-line plug termination (on load side, wired per Ncore amp note/diagram) or female RCA to XLR male adapter.
Normally the relay shuts off in a couple of seconds, but don't take my word on when it's "safe" because I don't know.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #87 on: 18 May 2012, 02:51 am »
deleted
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:36 am by James Romeyn »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #88 on: 18 May 2012, 11:14 am »
James

Here are the pics showing the insulator size on the Apex Jr. Short Binding Posts.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #89 on: 18 May 2012, 04:55 pm »
Jason,
Thanks a ton.  You removed the last hurdle, as long as the other items have opening dimensions online, which I presume to be the "case" (as in "chassis"...no pun intended). 

I hope to have it sorted to forward to TrungT by tonight. 

What amp do you use now whilst other lucky members bask in the glory of your own Ncore mono blocks on tour?  I thought of pushing my/our luck in asking for the screw hole center locations under the base, but then realized you are as "Ncoreless" as am I (I have the amps but not assembled...I'll order connectors to hear them well before the chassis arrive). 

On a completely unrelated note: I can not more highly recommend new-to-me Caffe Ibis Triple Certified Organic whole coffee beans, Ibis Dark Roast.  Smooth, strong, and dreamy caffeine effect.         

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #90 on: 18 May 2012, 04:59 pm »
what amp do you use now whilst other lucky members bask in the glory of your own Ncore mono blocks on tour?  I thought of pushing my/our luck in asking for the screw hole center locations under the base, but then realized you have no amps.   

I have a LOW TIM Leach that I've been using but my new NCores should show up next week.  Hopefully. 

The NC400 & SMPS600 drawings are here http://www.hypex.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=56

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #91 on: 18 May 2012, 05:46 pm »
Recap: 15 Holes Total

Base: Seven (3 amp, 4 ps)
Rear: Eight, L to R from rear: XLR + 2 fasteners, two binding post, IEC + 2 fasteners

Everyone in please post quantity. 

Cost:
Blank chassis black body: $49 silver face or $54 black face
Mike's cutting fee TBD, higher quantity = less per unit
Shipping quantity discount, China to me in N. Utah

I'll post above invoice.
Unit cost = above invoice/quantity.
Buyer prepays unit cost x quantity.
Prepay bank check or +3% Paypal.  (Someone suggested "gift" Paypal saves me 3% but that's inconsistent with accounting practice...if necessary, please see accounting definition of gift).

Late fee due after chassis arrive, me shipping from Utah to you: I'll weigh each chassis on certified scale with your address and email each buyer the shipping fee printed on the shipping label, for commercial Endicia 3rd party USPS Parcel Post.  Same as above: bank check and wait to clear or +3% Paypal to ship same business day received by 15:00 hours MDT, Zulu -6 hours.   

Thanks for everyone's patience. 

As soon as I get the quantity I'll forward to Mike for his quote. 

Me: 6 chassis
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:39 am by James Romeyn »

mr_bill

« Reply #92 on: 18 May 2012, 07:29 pm »
Bill - 2 silver chassis for monoblocks

Thanks Jim for all your work,

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #93 on: 19 May 2012, 04:45 am »
I have six new Apex Jr. short gold plated binding posts for sale for same price I just paid, $4.29/pr.  I ordered 12 pairs expecting to install two pairs per amp, but decided one pair is adequate.

Edit Saturday: Received the Apex Jr. binding posts...I've been doing this for decades...these are similar quality vs. Parts Express posts for twice the cost...best post value I've seen.

« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:52 am by James Romeyn »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #94 on: 19 May 2012, 07:00 pm »
James - I'll take two black cases and two pairs of the Apex Jr. binding posts.

Is there an ordering deadline? An order date? An ETA?

Are the holes for XLR and IEC standard or do we need to know which specific parts the holes will accommodate?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #95 on: 20 May 2012, 05:56 am »

Not pretty but here it is.  Note the rear panel is inside view: invert L to R for outside view, XLR left, IEC right.  I'll forward this link to TrungT.

XLR: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-037  also silver contacts available otherwise identical...gold vs. silver: IMO the gold is a little thicker and smoother, the silver a bit lighter and more detailed, my system is about dead neutral, the amp being digital, I ordered gold.  If it was a tube amp I'd lean silver, but as Sean says on TV show Psyche, "I've heard it both ways..."

IEC: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=090-442  only 10A (certification not specified), but other similar receptacle was rated either 10A or 15A depending on the certification type, so this may be a 15A too.   

See above for Apex Jr. short gold insulated binding posts, which are, IMHO, great value, well above average quality, and sturdy. 

I twisted and tied the amp/PS umbilical and this layout seems to provide the greatest distance between the AC mains input on the top and the input way down on the bottom, the speaker binding posts in the middle.

As you can see, one pair of binding posts.  Open to suggestions for any changes.

Including two fastener holes each for XLR and IEC = 15 sum total.   

TrungT

« Reply #96 on: 20 May 2012, 06:05 am »
You are killing me with metric and standard.
 :wink:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #97 on: 20 May 2012, 06:14 am »
Sure, I'll redo it.  Just say the word.

Do you think Mike is OK with "inside" vs. "outside" panel dimensions? 

TrungT

« Reply #98 on: 20 May 2012, 06:26 am »
Outside dimensions is most use.
If you stick with one measurement system would be great, I don't have to manually convert.
Standard is defaut on CAD though.
The drawing look good though.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #99 on: 20 May 2012, 06:43 am »
Outside dimensions is most use.
If you stick with one measurement system would be great, I don't have to manually convert.
Standard is defaut on CAD though.
The drawing look good though.

Should I redo all in metric or inch decimal? 

I'll redo with outer dimensions and repost tomorrow. 

Compared to TomS', the amp on mine is lower (closer to the closest side panel).  Yes, it's quite close to the the side panel, but it's well secured with three M3 screws, and this placement increases distance to the AC mains wire, which Bruno suggests is a good idea in the instructions.

FYI: I twisted and plastic-tied one amp/PS umbilical cord, connected the amp and PS, and lay both pieces on the graph paper with outline of ID.  I got the XLR specs from the Neutrik website.  I got the IEC specs from Parts Express.  Jason posted binding post caliper and I confirmed the insulator grommet diameter.

I request and suggest buyers confirm my dimensions at the Neutrik and Parts Express websites. 

A 1-lb, kick-butt, affordable, super-efficient, audiophile mono block, that will hopefully last a few decades or more.  Can you beat that?               
« Last Edit: 20 May 2012, 06:38 pm by James Romeyn »