Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136

TomS

Re: Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136
« Reply #80 on: 31 Dec 2020, 12:29 am »
Thanks for all the replies. Does it come with a generic cord or it’s one of the cords they sell as well ? Anyone played with an aftermarket cord ?
It comes with the Puritan cord standard, which they also sell separately.

drummermitchell

« Reply #81 on: 31 Dec 2020, 02:09 am »
Hmm if it’s doing its job why the hell do you need n upgraded cord.
My vac sig mkIIa doesn’t need a upgraded cord or my two Torus PIUs.
Both have been flawless for years 2012 for the Vac and 2006 for both Torus units.
And the Torus instantly smacked down Shunyatas as I had both units to instantly compare.
Seems like BS to me you have to upgrade to a whatever PC to reap more benefits and that’s from the same manufacturer.
Not for me ,I’ll stick with the Torus and that would be what about 14 yrs.
Sorry guys not into the PC thing especially if the conditioner is supposedly that good RED FLAG for me.
Amazing enough the only things I’ve swapped over the yrs were amps,preamps,cables.........Torus(s)have stayed.
I’ll bow out now................."...

Wig

« Reply #82 on: 31 Dec 2020, 04:14 am »
Hmm if it’s doing its job why the hell do you need n upgraded cord.
My vac sig mkIIa doesn’t need a upgraded cord or my two Torus PIUs.
Both have been flawless for years 2012 for the Vac and 2006 for both Torus units.
And the Torus instantly smacked down Shunyatas as I had both units to instantly compare.
Seems like BS to me you have to upgrade to a whatever PC to reap more benefits and that’s from the same manufacturer.
Not for me ,I’ll stick with the Torus and that would be what about 14 yrs.
Sorry guys not into the PC thing especially if the conditioner is supposedly that good RED FLAG for me.
Amazing enough the only things I’ve swapped over the yrs were amps,preamps,cables.........Torus(s)have stayed.
I’ll bow out now................."...

I have own many power conditioners to include Torus and a higher quality PC has always sounded better than the stock cord even though Puritan stock cables are much better that the standard cheap PC that manufacturers provide. My Amps, Pre, CD players/transport and Dac have all benefitted with better quality PCs.

Wig :D

debjit.g

« Reply #83 on: 31 Dec 2020, 04:32 am »
I have own many power conditioners to include Torus and a higher quality PC has always sounded better than the stock cord even though Puritan stock cables are much better that the standard cheap PC that manufacturers provide.

I agree. Power cord makes a difference, sometimes to a large extent but its good to see that Puritan is providing a good quality power cable to go with their power conditioner and not the cheap black ones that almost all manufacturers supply.

My Amps, Pre, CD players/transport and Dac have all benefitted with better quality PCs.

Wig :D

What about the Puritan ? Does it benefit as well ?  :)

Wig

« Reply #84 on: 31 Dec 2020, 05:28 am »
I agree. Power cord makes a difference, sometimes to a large extent but its good to see that Puritan is providing a good quality power cable to go with their power conditioner and not the cheap black ones that almost all manufacturers supply.

Yes, the Puritan will benefit from a good PC; I'm using a DIY Helix PC with Furutech 20A IEC plug and Neotech 12Ga OCC Solid Copper and these beat my previous PC costing up to $4K (Inakustik and Ch Acoustic X20).

See link on how it built and number of music lovers using them:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/duelund-conversion-to-diy-helix-geometry-cabling

Wig :thumb:

« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2021, 07:10 pm by Wig »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #85 on: 31 Dec 2020, 02:15 pm »
Hey Wig, what’s your source for the Nanotech wire?

genjamon

« Reply #86 on: 31 Dec 2020, 04:36 pm »
If aftermarket cords do make a difference on it, I gotta ask - how feasible to swap that 20A inlet on the unit to a Furutech NCF 15A inlet?  Would be way cheaper (<$50 if I recall) than re-terminating all power cords of interest to 20A male connectors, especially when talking about Furutech NCF connectors.  Why not just make it compatible with the majority of cables out there?  I'm not sold on the argument that the extra grip provided by the 20A connection is worth the tradeoffs regarding lack of compatibility with the majority of aftermarket cables out there.

So, would swapping the inlet on the unit muck up its design in any way?

RPM123

« Reply #87 on: 31 Dec 2020, 05:15 pm »

I can only speak for the model 1512 and the cord that was included, but Mike at Audio Archon found that "he could not hear any difference" with other cords. And he carries a number of them.

Cappy

« Reply #88 on: 31 Dec 2020, 05:29 pm »
My PSM 156 arrives on Monday, courtesy of Mike at Archon. 

I also purchased a Pangea 20a to 15a IEC adapter from Audio Advisor.  If the adapter (copper with gold plating) doesn't degrade the sound too much, I'll be able to make a comparision between my Triode Wire Labs 7+ power cord and the stock Puritan Audio Labs cord.

Wig

« Reply #89 on: 31 Dec 2020, 05:34 pm »

Wig

« Reply #90 on: 31 Dec 2020, 05:57 pm »

If aftermarket cords do make a difference on it, I gotta ask - how feasible to swap that 20A inlet on the unit to a Furutech NCF 15A inlet?  Would be way cheaper (<$50 if I recall) than re-terminating all power cords of interest to 20A male connectors, especially when talking about Furutech NCF connectors.  Why not just make it compatible with the majority of cables out there?  I'm not sold on the argument that the extra grip provided by the 20A connection is worth the tradeoffs regarding lack of compatibility with the majority of aftermarket cables out there.

So, would swapping the inlet on the unit muck up its design in any way?

NCF are very good connectors and is what I used when I rewired and got rid of the piggy-back with direct home runs to each outlets on my previous balanced conditioner. The contact area for the 20A inlet is much more substantial than the 15A inlet and would stay with that connector.

Wig

reillyzing

« Reply #91 on: 31 Dec 2020, 06:26 pm »
What kind of improvements, if any, have you noticed while using the 136/156 during non peak hours of electrical interference? That would be after midnight or so, in my case.. Sound is noticeably better much later at night and early morning.. Thanks.

debjit.g

« Reply #92 on: 31 Dec 2020, 06:36 pm »
Yes, the Puritan will benefit from a good PC; I'm using a DIY Helix PC with Furutech 20A IEC plug and Nanotech 12Ga OCC Solid Copper and these beat my previous PC costing up to $4K (Verastarr Statement III, Inakustik and Ch Acoustic X20).

See link on how it built and number of music lovers using them:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/duelund-conversion-to-diy-helix-geometry-cabling

Wig :thumb:

Cool. You possibly meant Neotech instead of Nanotech (well, there is a Nanotech as well but they are hard to source) ? Did you use solid core or stranded ? I am very much familiar with it as I use the 12Ga solid core and combination of Mundrof silver/gold in my DIY linear power supply wiring :)

debjit.g

« Reply #93 on: 31 Dec 2020, 06:38 pm »
It comes with the Puritan cord standard, which they also sell separately.

Thanks. Good to know. I am glad they included a quality cable.

Wig

« Reply #94 on: 31 Dec 2020, 06:38 pm »
Cool. You possibly meant Neotech instead of Nanotech (well, there is a Nanotech as well but they are hard to source) ? Did you use solid core or stranded ? I am very much familiar with it as I use the 12Ga solid core and combination of Mundrof silver/gold in my DIY linear power supply wiring :)

:D Should be Neotech and all OCC Solid Core  :thumb:

Wig

Wig

« Reply #95 on: 31 Dec 2020, 06:42 pm »
What kind of improvements, if any, have you noticed while using the 136/156 during non peak hours of electrical interference? That would be after midnight or so, in my case.. Sound is noticeably better much later at night and early morning.. Thanks.

The 156 is better and your system will sound good anytime of day with these units; my system is dead quiet/zero noise with ear placed on tweeter! I have the 136 and love it but if I had to do it over, would spend the extra for the 156.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFkzZYya6Wc

Wig

debjit.g

« Reply #96 on: 31 Dec 2020, 06:42 pm »
I can only speak for the model 1512 and the cord that was included, but Mike at Audio Archon found that "he could not hear any difference" with other cords. And he carries a number of them.

I think the 1512 is double of 156 in a bigger chassis. I still think the audiophiles within us will want to experiment, just as wig did but if it doesn’t improve it’s even better :D

debjit.g

« Reply #97 on: 31 Dec 2020, 06:47 pm »
Mine arrives next week  :D

However, I am very intrigued with the Ground Master and would like to set it up. @wig and others who are using ground master, it would be very helpful if you could post the part lists and where to source from ?

debjit.g

« Reply #99 on: 31 Dec 2020, 07:03 pm »
Here you go, supplies needed:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Galvan-0-625-in-x-8-ft-Copper-Grounding-Rods/3446270

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Electric-ProConnex-5-8-in-Grounding-Clamp-Conduit-Fitting/1099921

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-50-ft-12-AWG-Stranded-Green-Copper-THHN-Wire-By-the-Roll/1000774456

Wig

Thank you :thumb:

Is it ok for this ground wire to be laid outside (in sun/rain) or do we need a conduit ? Would solid core be a better fit for this ? Also is there anything to prep the ground before pounding the 8’ rod :-)