m4 turbo satisfied customer

hambonehein

m4 turbo satisfied customer
« on: 30 Jan 2019, 07:18 pm »
A while back, I bought ski boots on the internet.  For something like ski boots where every nuance in the design can be the difference between incredible and incredible pain, it seemed insane to make such a purchase that way.  But I did.  And it actually worked out great!  Luckily... 

Buying speakers over the internet initially seemed just as crazy to me.  But everything I saw and read was so ridiculously compelling that I just couldn't resist.  My reasons for trying it were (in no particular order):  1)  I loved the physical design.  The look was contemporary and clean.  It seemed almost like.  We have a modern home and the design seemed like it fit in great  2)  The reviews were off the chart!  People were going crazy about these speakers - in major publications!  The number of superlatives I saw was unheard of in these types of periodicals.  Usually in stereo and car magazines, you see a lot of qualified language.  Not for the Spatials!  3)  The money back guarantee  4)  I wanted something different.  I refused to buy my speakers from Best Buy!  And the number of high end audio stores has dwindled over the years.  Speakers through the mail?  Why not?  5) the price!  To get speakers that looked like this with the reviews they were getting, with the pedigree and legitimacy in high end audio circles at that price?  It seemed to good to be true.  6)  I actually spoke with Clayton and he sold me with out selling to me.  He answered all my questions and I learned quite a bit from talking to him.  He was very nice and very confident about his product.  He seemed like a stand up guy, the real deal, so I took the plunge...

The first thing I noticed when I set them up was how much different the equalization of my old speakers was from the m4s!  I made a bunch of gross adjustments  and already I was impressed.  I didn't have time right away to run the equalization setup using a microphone from my receiver so I just twiddled with the adjustments to my sub and receiver here and there.  Over the course of a few days I realized that my new speakers were sounding unbelievable!  I looked at the tone settings I had arrived at and they were all near zeros!!

So, now I arrived at the point where my speakers were sounding breathtaking with no automated equalization.  Now, I've been burned in the past when I have settings I love and in my constant pursuit of perfection I screw with them and lose the previous ones for ever.  But I've only done that in the past because I feel like they must be able to sound a little better.  I do NOT feel that way this time!  I really can't imagine my speakers and system sounding much better!  And so I am forgoing the automated setup completely..

Here's what I wrote to Clayton to tell him that I would be keeping my speakers...

"So, I've had the speakers for a few weeks now and I continue to be blown away every time I sit down with them!   I can't think of any other word than astonishing to describe them.  The sense of realism is at times breathtaking!  And as you said, I do believe they continue to sound better and better.

...I've achieved aural nirvana.  One of the most surprising things is that I'm experiencing almost ZERO resonance in my room even WITHOUT equalization!  The bass is so discernable and musical.  You can hear the strings of the bass.  A complete lack of boominess!

And the high end is so crisp and clean.  I can hear the drumstick hitting the cymbals!  I don't know how you do it Clayton but great job! Of course I'll be keeping my speakers!"

So, I really love my speakers as you can tell.  I listen to music so much more now.  The sense of realism is truly freaky!  Let me tell you, with my old speakers (Canton towers) I was using 5.1 channel Dolby Pro Logic to get what I thought was realistic sound.  Now, I'm using 2.1 and it sounds WAY better.  The effortlessness in which these speakers reproduce sound is what I think is the best part of them.  It's like having a sports car that does whatever you want without breaking a sweat.

In conclusion, if you're hesitant at all, don't be.   Buy them.

Percheron

Re: m4 turbo satisfied customer
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2019, 04:28 am »
My thoughts too!  I borrowed a new pair from the local hi-fi store for a week and was also seriously impressed. I just can’t swing the price now, my system would be better served getting a better preamp.  These were low hour units and while I had them the were sounding better by the hour.  Bass was a bit lacking compared to my Klipsch Forte II’s, but I imagine more hours would cure that. Overall, at least in our house, the reviews were spot on.  Congratulations!

James Edward

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2019, 11:00 pm »
Good to see another happy music listener. I bought my M3 Turbo S pair in July after hearing them a few times at shows. The Spatials do music in just the way I like- not too in your face with tipped up treble, and I LOVE the way large woofers add gravity to the sound. Four 6” or 7” woofers just do not pull it off the same way.
As you also stated, the open baffle system works well in my bass-problematic room. No more room-boom.
Yes, less bass than my former speakers, but a rich midrange balances it out.
Did I mention these will play loudly? They sound incredible at higher volumes, and there are many times I enjoy some ‘full contact’ listening.
Enjoying these immensely. Glad you are too.

Whitestix

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2019, 09:15 pm »
I share your love for the M4's, perfectly suited for my living room.   I originally owned the Turbo S versions, and sent them back to Clayton for an upgrade to the Triode Masters.  It was fairly pricey upgrade, but very efficacious as I now now longer feel the need for a subwoofer to extend the lower frequencies.  No worries, I could have lived with the Turbo S speakers very easily without the upgrade.  I have had a over a dozen speakers through my system in the past 10 years and now feel no need to search any further.   I think I like them more every day. 

Alex-San

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2019, 08:39 pm »
My thoughts too!  I borrowed a new pair from the local hi-fi store for a week and was also seriously impressed. I just can’t swing the price now, my system would be better served getting a better preamp.  These were low hour units and while I had them the were sounding better by the hour.  Bass was a bit lacking compared to my Klipsch Forte II’s, but I imagine more hours would cure that. Overall, at least in our house, the reviews were spot on.  Congratulations!

How was the rest of the presentation compared to the Klipsch Fortes? Did they have the same liveliness and micro dynamics?

Thanks!