Stranger Things, OMFG

Folsom

Stranger Things, OMFG
« on: 20 Jul 2016, 04:56 am »
It's on Netflix and it's mind blowing good. Nothing touches it, including GOT. It out classes movies and TV shows for so many years.

I'm sure something is as good more recently than the one movie I can name that immediately comes to mind as an absolute masterpiece. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. (I know it's an odd one to compare, but it fell in synce, as a movie, like most dream of)

I haven't finished the season but... I pray it keeps on track because this show is so good it made me do a little dance to the end of an episode. It's legendary in my mind.

JohnR

Re: Stranger Things, OMFG
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2016, 08:31 am »
Can we see a video of your dance?

:green:

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2016, 05:44 pm »
Planes, Trains and Automobiles??  :roll:

Maybe the X-Files!

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2016, 06:01 pm »
I rank the X-Files in the unwatchable category.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2016, 06:47 pm »
Planes, Trains and Automobiles??  :roll:

That's what I was thinking. Calling "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" a masterpiece is tantamount to saying Bose makes the best speakers.  :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2016, 08:05 pm »
I rank the X-Files in the unwatchable category.

Regardless, I mean it in terms of genre.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2016, 08:28 pm »
We all know that. I even posted that it's unusual. I was trying to point out something that transcends genres into masterpiece.

stlrman

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2016, 08:40 pm »
Thanks Folsom! On the list of series to watch!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2016, 09:20 pm »
Will check it out, thanks!  :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2016, 12:52 am »
I hope it gets better...I've only seen the first 3 episodes and it's ok so far. I think Wynona Ryder is playing herself in this one. The I used to be cute but now I'm kinda crazy and weird role.

newzooreview

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2016, 01:35 am »
I finished it, but only as an act of perseverance. To me it was a failed mix of bad writing, bad acting, and a plot that started out derivative and then unraveled completely. The ending was a complete mess.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2016, 02:18 am »
Weird, I'd call it a Masterpiece. I finished it too. I liked it so much I'm afraid a second season could tarnish it. In fact I didn't binge watch it as hard as I usually do because I was sad for it to end, so I actually spaced it out.

Without a doubt there's some predictability, but not as much as I thought there would be. At no time was I upset with that factor. It's part of the nature with any film these days that they can't truly blow you away with twists or unique plots. It was almost like watching something that I was familiar with, but it wasn't the same as if so many little things movies have used finally got used the right way. I couldn't get enough even while I was watching it.

And part of it played on things like Goonies or Super 8, except this time I actually liked it. It was really nice to watch a kid focused movie that didn't make me want to vomit. The only other one I can name off hand was the foreign version of  "Let The Right One In".

All the characters are extremely believable. It's so refreshing that they don't talk as much as in a lot of other series and movies that ruin the mood with that or over played camera shots. I thought the camera work in this was extremely tasteful, so much so you don't really even notice it but there are scenes that are wonderful to look at.

The pace of it didn't drag on me like everything else does these days that's in a series. I didn't feel "cliff hangers" and the coming and going of the same mini episode plots, each episode. But I was eager to watch more each time.

Thank God it didn't have a bunch of A list, B list, or any particularly known actors looking like they always do (Winona Ryder is the only truly famous one it). I'm so thankful it wasn't just a bunch of pretty people with perfect makeup and whatnot the whole time.

The only said thing is I may have to wait years before something so good comes along again.

restrav

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2016, 02:33 am »
Watching the second episode. It is so cliche it us boring.  My wife likes crappy b movies.  So she kinda likes it.  It does not stand out in any way.

MttBsh

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2016, 02:46 pm »
Gotta love how one man's "mind blowing masterpiece" is another man's unwatchable mess.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2016, 03:18 pm »
Gotta love how one man's "mind blowing masterpiece" is another man's unwatchable mess.

That's actually a sign of quality, I think.  I like when artists go for a specific vision and stick to it, without trying to please a broad audience.  So you get a subset of people that really click with the material, and a larger swath of people that do not.  My prime example of that is Hannibal, which was flat out amazing, but most people were pretty meh about it.  Sounds like it's the same for Stranger Things and the OP. 

sts9fan

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jul 2016, 03:33 pm »
Watched two episodes yeterday.  Very well made and creepy.  I do think it trys to recreate the cliche 80s moments too much.  Just be yourself IN THE STYLE. 
I will for sure finish the season.   

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 21 Jul 2016, 03:40 pm »
Watched two episodes yeterday.  Very well made and creepy.  I do think it trys to recreate the cliche 80s moments too much.  Just be yourself IN THE STYLE. 
I will for sure finish the season.   

+1, I think it's intentional, done in the style of a mid-80's movie like The Goonies, ET, etc...

I'll hold judgement for now though, I like it but hard to say where the plot is going at this point.

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2016, 05:01 pm »
What's crazy is I didn't like the Goonies, and I hated ET. Again, it's like they took elements but this time it's good.

Also I think Tyson hit the nail dead on. It's pretty much impossible to make something that someone falls in love with, and everyone will adore. But it does have a high score on rotten tomatoes.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2016, 08:51 pm »
Just finished. Overall I thought it was pretty good, by the episode "the acrobat and the flea" I was hooked.

So when can we start discussing things? I got questions...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2016, 09:04 pm »
I've seen the first 3 episodes so far and I'd add "Poltergeist" to the mash-up of 80's movies the show draws from... it should be interesting to see where it goes from here.