BIG Axpona pics - and now a video!

bajaed

Re: BIG Axpona pics - and now a video!
« Reply #20 on: 1 May 2015, 03:58 am »
It happens a lot at car and audio shows. Big projects by custom shops are usually complicated and often have delays that are out of control of the builder.

With this being the first set of Perfect Storms built, and the complexities involved, a day to get them dialed in is not bad imo.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #21 on: 1 May 2015, 04:46 am »
Now now, I already admitted that Friday the room sounded a bit rough.  A lot of reasons, but primarily because we had about .5db too much energy from 2khz on up.  Saturday and Sunday were completely different, and as I already said, if you didn't hear the room on those days then you essentially didn't hear it at all. 

As far as taking it to the wire, I used to crew for a pretty major American LeMans team.  This was around 2002, Thursday we're up all night trying to get the new MTI sequential box fitted and just couldn't get alignment right in the Lola chassis.  So Friday morning around 5am one of the teams fabricators heads into Columbus Ohio (from Mid-Ohio raceway) to find a metal shop that can make a bracket "yea big by yea long".  About 10am he's back with a piece of metal in hand, and we have to be on grid for qualifying by noon or we don't get to run the race.  Well, we made it onto the grid by about 15 minutes, then went on to a 2nd in class and 4th overall finish. 

That's life of people who are always pushing, things go to the wire consistently because we make use of all 86,400 seconds in a day.  Remember us blowing the doors off RMAF in 2013?  Well, we got both pair of those speakers together about 30 minutes before we loaded up the car and left for Denver.  One of the speakers, we finished wiring the crossover while setting up the room in Denver. 

We didn't get our Accutons for the Perfect Storm until the Monday before the show, but it was going to the wire anyway.  Going to the last minute doesn't worry me anymore, because we're really really good at what we do.

I told you we should have just packed up the toolkit and headed to Chicago and finished up in the show room . . . it worked before, and it would have worked again because we're really really good at what we do.
 :lol:

jackmonster

« Reply #22 on: 1 May 2015, 05:18 am »
This is for Bladesmith who called me a "troll".  Apparently, he is confused and doesn't know how to read.  I was referring to the Cirrus' which were broken in when I heard them and were awesome at Axpona a few years back.  When I heard the Perfect storms on Friday they sounded horrible and even Pete and Ryan admit they were not at their best. I don't even know what "jacking" a thread means.  Please stay off Audiocircle if you are that ignorant and can't understand a sentence and then have to resort to name calling.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #23 on: 1 May 2015, 04:51 pm »
Thanks to Brian Keane, host of the Midwest Audio Club http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/, for sending me a link to a great video he made during his visit to the show.

The club is mostly, if not all, DIY guys.  They are obviously enthusiastic about the hobby and among them are some top notch designers. 

It's amazing to me how a club like this can absolutely shame some of the professional publications in terms of show coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwWyur03CvI&feature=youtu.be

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 1 May 2015, 05:42 pm »
G N A R L Y

Thank you for sharing Pete.  :thumb:

Eugene2

« Reply #25 on: 2 May 2015, 09:53 am »
I know I'm going to get people mad, but I went on Friday and they sounded Horrible!  Maybe they were not broken yet . Ryan did the same thing last year at Axpona - the Derechos sounded horrible on Friday.  Why doesn't he come with speakers that are already broken in?  You want value- get the Salk Exoticas at less than half the price.

I think your comment would go much better if you left out the totally unnecessary last sentence pushing another companies product.  Generally when people buy Vapor they are gunning for state of the art at that price point not necessarily "value". I heard many rooms on Friday and Saturday that were less than perfect.  As I stated in other show threads many of us discussed the sound of PS on Friday and even Saturday understanding they were a work in progress.  Sunday they more than challenged any of the statement products leaving behind those you mentioned.  Vapor is just courageous enough to bring new stuff to shows not just the same old stuff with different veneer.

Gopher

« Reply #26 on: 4 May 2015, 08:21 pm »
Until one has done a show (or several) they don't really have perspective of just how much planning, preparation and stress goes into trying to meet the deadline AND have mind blowing sound.  We would all have loved for the room to have been sounding its best on Friday and unfortunately many weren't around Saturday and Sunday to hear it, but those who were I believe were quite impressed.

I've spent a good 100 hours of my life in front of Vapor speakers and as a result I've ordered my own pair for home.   :thumb:

Ryan, Pete, Ed, good rodeo guys!  Next time we'll kill it starting Friday.  I can't wait to try to duplicate what we had at AXPONA in my living room with my Uber Auroras.

Best,

Fred

EdRo

« Reply #27 on: 5 May 2015, 12:16 pm »
It was good to meet you, Fred!!! I had a great time at Axpona, and I learned alot! I hope you find your Auroras as awesome as I think you will. Please let me know what you think after you've had a good long listen; I live for customer reflection. The only way to get better at what we do is to make the best product possible and then listen to the response from customers. Rock em hard, amigo!!!   :thumb:

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2015, 12:19 am »
It's this. 

Maceo Parker - Life On Planet Groove (Live) Track - Children's World

I picked this up on vinyl based on this discussion. There's a party lurking in those grooves, nice recommendation!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 14 May 2015, 01:20 am »
I picked this up on vinyl based on this discussion. There's a party lurking in those grooves, nice recommendation!
:thumb:

Eugene2

« Reply #30 on: 20 May 2015, 10:04 pm »
Stereotimes gave a nice mention of PS at AXPONA  http://www.stereotimes.com/post/axpona-2015-dave-thomas

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2015, 05:05 am »
Stereotimes gave a nice mention of PS at AXPONA  http://www.stereotimes.com/post/axpona-2015-dave-thomas

Thanks for sharing that link Eugene.  Always nice to see someone appreciate the results of our hard work.