New design, example of our one off thinking

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
New design, example of our one off thinking
« on: 10 Feb 2015, 04:25 am »
We build a lot of one-off stuff, things that aren't a part of our 'official' lineup.  Or we customize existing designs to fit specific spaces and needs, build matching center channels, subwoofers, etc.  This is an example of a completely new design made to fit a very unique need.

The customer has a very nice room, lots of real wood and built in bookshelves.  Also has real Rosewood flooring, and doesn't want speakers on stands in this room.  The solution is a speaker that will give full-range performance when placed on the sizeable built-in shelving.  And he also wanted it to match with the décor of the room. 

The cabinet is all stacked Birch Ply, our typical brick s***-house construction.  Front is of course the RAAL 70-20 and Accuton C158, but the trick is the 8" subwoofer mounted side-firing.  To power it there's a Hypex amp on the rear with full DSP capability.  Binding posts for the passive woofer/tweeter network, and full active for the woofer.  With the full DSP control of the woofer, we'll have the necessary power to dial-in the bass for a very difficult built in bookshelf placement. 

These will be delivered soon to Atlanta, where I will be setting them up and tuning them myself, all for no extra charge to the customer. 

This one-off is being discussed where many others aren't, because I think it may be interest to others for similar placement, or for an ultimate desktop monitor. 

« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2015, 05:43 am by Vapor Audio »

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
Re: New design, example of our one off thinking
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2015, 06:39 pm »
Bad A$$ I want some!

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2015, 07:11 pm »
WOW - well done Ryan, this one may need to be added to the lineup and not as a desktop but as a monitor/stand mount.

seadogs1

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2015, 10:30 pm »
Very VERY NICE Ryan. Only thing it needs is the RAAL 140-15B Tweeter. If I ever have to downsize because of my wife's condition these would be it.
Ryan, do you know the following: Freq response, sensitivity, rec. power, and of course the price? Thanks and keep up the GREAR work!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:26 am »
I think it's a neat design too, and could be a part of the official lineup.  I see a lot of people asking for a high performance desktop monitor, but not sure they'd be willing to float the bill for parts and construction of this level.  There's nearly $2000 in our cost of parts alone, so you can imagine what the final price would need to be. 

If I were doing these as a freestanding speaker I'd probably make the cabinet a bit bigger, these were designed to fit a given footprint.  Being away from walls and not having boundary compensation to help augment the bottom octave, the woofer could use more airspace for a ported cabinet.  Otherwise counting on DSP to give extension in a small sealed box, they could run out of gas and be limited on power handling.  With the DSP you can reasonably extend bass into the low-mid 20's, and since the bass is active it doesn't drag the overall sensitivity down - you end up with about 88-89db sensitive speaker which is respectable.