$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

wushuliu

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #2380 on: 7 Feb 2011, 08:06 pm »
Class D amps have no business in any real hi-fi system. Might as well run a corded drill while you are listening.  :duh:

cityjim

I don't know, same could be said for blanket statements... :wink:

simoon

« Reply #2381 on: 8 Feb 2011, 07:12 pm »
Class D amps have no business in any real hi-fi system. Might as well run a corded drill while you are listening.  :duh:

cityjim

Wasn't the same thing once said about solid state amps some years ago?

Seems to me there now a heck of a lot of high quality SS amps available, no?

Might that not also be true of class D?

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #2382 on: 8 Feb 2011, 10:04 pm »
Interesting post cityjim, care to share your personal experience with Class D or other digital amps that lead you to have this opinion?

I have owned many, and find them good for certain applications.

I don't currently run one in my main system, but retain a hybrid digital JVC for a high WAF living room system.
Not all Class D amps are created equal. What manufacturer's have you heard? Do you prefer tubes or SS?
I don't know, same could be said for blanket statements... :wink:
Wasn't the same thing once said about solid state amps some years ago?

Seems to me there now a heck of a lot of high quality SS amps available, no?

Might that not also be true of class D?

Come on guys, don't feed the troll  :nono:  :wink:

rjyap

« Reply #2383 on: 9 Feb 2011, 02:10 pm »
I received the SMPS800R and SMPS500R from connexelectronics and work nicely with the SDS-258. However, I had a below problem. When I turn on the amp without turning on the DAC (with volume control), I had white noise from the speaker even with the volume turn to min. Turning on the DAC and the amp become dead silence. I disconnect the RCA cable from the amp and it is silence too. But once I connect the + of the input without connecting the ground, the noise is back even the RCA end is not connected to the DAC. Christi advice to add a parallel resistor with a value 4.7kohm to 10kohm. Any other ideas to solve this problem?

zoula

« Reply #2384 on: 13 Feb 2011, 11:52 pm »
Hi,

I bought a SDS-254 kit It sound good, but I have a 60Hz hum coming from my speaker.  It is not very loud but loud enough to be disturbing.  I tried to move the tranfo away from the boards with no success...  I just can't find the source of this "hum"

Also, when played loud it some time make some weird noise, almost like a white noise.  I wonder if the amplification board is
desajuste.  I read a lot of reviews of this amp and I am a little bit deceived by the sound.  It sound good but not great....

I post a photo of how I wired everything.   Feel free to comment....

Thank's

J-P

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #2385 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:59 am »

Thank's

J-P

I'd flip the toroid and the PS Board, keeping all AC lines as far from signal as possible.

zoula

« Reply #2386 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:48 pm »
I'd flip the toroid and the PS Board, keeping all AC lines as far from signal as possible.

It's in fact one of the first thing that I tried...  I unscrewed the transfo from the board and stretch it of the board as far as I could with no result. 

On my transfo there is a shield wire should I plug it in to the ground ???

Thank's

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2387 on: 15 Feb 2011, 09:08 pm »
Maybe you should call Tom at classdaudio.

johnhc

« Reply #2388 on: 16 Feb 2011, 03:42 pm »
Hi,

I bought a SDS-254 kit It sound good, but I have a 60Hz hum coming from my speaker.  It is not very loud but loud enough to be disturbing.  I tried to move the tranfo away from the boards with no success...  I just can't find the source of this "hum"

Also, when played loud it some time make some weird noise, almost like a white noise.  I wonder if the amplification board is
desajuste.  I read a lot of reviews of this amp and I am a little bit deceived by the sound.  It sound good but not great....

Thank's

J-P

zoula, I notice that you do not have your board grounded.  Several pictures posted in this thread show a ground wire attached to a standoff screw, labeled Chassis Ground.  If you do talk to CDA, please ask if this is necessary and, if so, how it should be accomplished.  I suspect several here would like to know - I would.  Enjoy, John.

johnhc

« Reply #2389 on: 17 Feb 2011, 01:29 am »
My previous reply got caught up in the quote.  Here it is again:
zoula, I notice that you do not have your board grounded.  Several pictures posted in this thread show a ground wire attached to a standoff screw, labeled Chassis Ground.  If you do talk to CDA, please ask if this is necessary and, if so, how it should be accomplished.  I suspect several here would like to know - I would.  Enjoy, John.

ceausuc

« Reply #2390 on: 17 Feb 2011, 11:04 am »
Does anyone know how these amps compare to the modified Shure Tripath TK2050 boards?

firedog

« Reply #2391 on: 19 Feb 2011, 09:49 am »
Has anybody compared the sound of these to nuforce power amps? Did a search and didn't find anything.

Interested b/c I have someone who wants to sell me used nuforce at a good price.

wushuliu

« Reply #2392 on: 22 Feb 2011, 01:56 am »
Does anyone know how these amps compare to the modified Shure Tripath TK2050 boards?

For starters, modifying a Sure board is a lot of work to get good performance. I speak from experience. You'd be better of either buying a Hifimediy board from ebay or just get a Virtue amp. Second, Tripath have a different sound to the classdaudio. Up to you whether you prefer one or the other. I'd put my money on the classdaudio vs. any Sure board any day.

wushuliu

« Reply #2393 on: 22 Feb 2011, 02:04 am »

Thank's

J-P

Are you using the 2 gain potentiometers for volume control?

johnhc

« Reply #2394 on: 24 Feb 2011, 01:03 am »
I suspect that zoula's problem is that the unbalanced inputs appear to be connected to the + and - inputs, which I think are for balanced inputs.  zoula should try using the + and G inputs.  The information available from CDA is certainly not clear.  Enjoy, John. 

zoula

« Reply #2395 on: 24 Feb 2011, 05:37 pm »
OK....   Thank you all!!!! 

I just find what I was doing wrong.  There is no official documentention about the SDS series, so you need to use the CDA series instructions. 
They are mostly the same to assemble with the exeption of the Potentiometers and the option of using balance input. 

And gess what!!!  Like an amateur I wire the gound to the (-) insted.  I'm just lucky that I did not fried the amp.  It seems ok now..

Tom shoud realy post the new SDS manual so that mistake like this won't happen in the futur.

Again,  Thank's all

J-P

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #2396 on: 24 Feb 2011, 11:00 pm »
Now that you've got it working properly, what's your opinion of the SDS amp?

zoula

« Reply #2397 on: 25 Feb 2011, 01:31 am »
Hi,

I really can't give a final opinion on the sound of the SDS amp.  My preamp is not working properly so I'm now using the amp direct from my Sugden DAC.  For the volume control I use the digital volume control from the Squeezebox device that I use.  To achieve a decent volume I need to use my volume at around 30% witch is not very good...  The Squeezebox trash too much data...   

Also I don't use any buffer before my amp so....

I'm now in the process of building my self a preamp with a kit for this guy
http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/Control_boards/index.html
So it will probably be a integrated amp in it's final form. 

I'll keep in touch and also post some photos and final comments

J-P

ceausuc

« Reply #2398 on: 25 Feb 2011, 09:34 am »
For starters, modifying a Sure board is a lot of work to get good performance. I speak from experience. You'd be better of either buying a Hifimediy board from ebay or just get a Virtue amp. Second, Tripath have a different sound to the classdaudio. Up to you whether you prefer one or the other. I'd put my money on the classdaudio vs. any Sure board any day.

Thank you!
I understand that you have/had a Sure board so could you please compare the Tripath sound to the ClassD sound? How are these different?
Did you also test Virtue amps?

nwboater

« Reply #2399 on: 25 Feb 2011, 06:30 pm »
Thank you!
I understand that you have/had a Sure board so could you please compare the Tripath sound to the ClassD sound? How are these different?
Did you also test Virtue amps?

And have you listened to any of the Hifimediy amps? How do they fit in the mix to you?

Thanks,
Rod