« Reply #1340 on: 2 May 2010, 01:26 pm »
Hey Nick,
Where did you get the caps, why did you only replace
4 of them, could you do 6?
How about the resistors on the board, are they worth
messing with.
I am getting ready to order another board to run bridged
SDS254's

I was under the impression 40,000uf was more than ample and didnt want to just waste capasitance. I may try adding a couple more lower value.
I dont know anything about the resistors but have heard a larger bridge rectifier is reccomended. Anyone know a source for a fast recovery ixys bridge?

I got the caps from diycable cause digikey was out of stock, they have them now.

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1341 on: 2 May 2010, 07:52 pm »
I was under the impression 40,000uf was more than ample and didnt want to just waste capacitance. I may try adding a couple more lower value.
I dont know anything about the resistors but have heard a larger bridge rectifier is reccomended. Anyone know a source for a fast recovery ixys bridge?

Blair, (Niteshade) has a unique power supply that may interest you.  Give him a shout out.  :thumb:

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1342 on: 2 May 2010, 08:34 pm »
There's a pic of Blair's Class D power supply mod in his gallery.

jtsnead

« Reply #1343 on: 2 May 2010, 08:35 pm »
I will look it up, wonder if he sells it seperatley

Nick77

« Reply #1344 on: 2 May 2010, 09:06 pm »
I found this one but dont know if its drop in or not? Anyone know for sure?
I sent them an email, if I am going to replace I want something better than stock.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/product4793.html

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1345 on: 2 May 2010, 09:07 pm »
I found this one but dont know if its drop in or not? Anyone know for sure?
I sent them an email, if I am going to replace I want something better than stock.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/product4793.html

I remember reading that the Paul Hynes is the "best".

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #1346 on: 2 May 2010, 09:11 pm »
I remember reading that the Paul Hynes is the "best".

Whenever I need to use a well designed regulator for a critical audio application (i.e. not a filament supply) , be it for solid state or tube, I only use Paul Hynes.

Anand.

Nick77

« Reply #1347 on: 2 May 2010, 09:16 pm »
Im looking for a drop in replacemnet bridge rectifier not an entire power supply. Wouldnd Paul just be for the whole supply?

edit: I was under the impression most perfer the IXYS products.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1348 on: 2 May 2010, 09:18 pm »
Im looking for a drop in replacemnet bridge rectifier not an entire power supply. Wouldnd Paul just be for the whole supply?

Nope.  He has them..

http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/page6.html

srb

« Reply #1349 on: 2 May 2010, 09:26 pm »
Nope.  He has them..

I think he is looking for a bridge rectifier, not a regulator.

Steve

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1350 on: 2 May 2010, 09:27 pm »

I think he is looking for a bridge rectifier, not a regulator.

Steve

:cry:  I'd ask him then.

parodielin

« Reply #1351 on: 4 May 2010, 02:50 am »
Wanted to follow up with my experiment.  So I finished my Pass Buffer in a Hammond metal box.  I connected the buffer to Class D amp - to my surprise - it's now "dead silent".  When I used HK 635 as preamp, I can hear small hum when I press my ears against speakers.  Now it's gone. 

Before, I didn't ground the Pass Buffer and the hum noise was horrible.  Now inside a metal box - wow - the combination is awesome!  Never though a preamp would make such a difference. ;)

My experience was that it worked fine in a wood/MDF box.  I did not notice any noise at listening distance.  Until recently, b/c there is a big hum after connecting the unshielded Pass B1, I did a comparison of the "noise" level between HK 635 and Class D, and I found HK 635 is a bit "quieter" than Class D (When my ears are against the speakers).  It's subtle.  But again, some people have been fine with Pass B1 without metal enclosure.  So it could be my environment issue.  But now I'd like to do it the right way - using metal sheet to shield it and ground it through through the ground wire from the power switch module.

jtsnead

« Reply #1352 on: 4 May 2010, 02:58 am »
thats good you figured it out!

I would really like to try when of those buffers, this one or the Dodd
battery one. I f anyone near MD wouldlet me try one send me a PM

I have alot of gain in my system so I turned down the gain on the
SDS254 amp to allow for greater volume control range

mcgsxr

« Reply #1353 on: 5 May 2010, 03:13 pm »
One long thread!

Anyone built the CDA-254S for use as a monoblock for subs?

Assuming I need also to purchase:

PC, PC receptacle with fuse, RCA inputs, speaker outputs, and any case I want to use.

Missed anything?

Hinging on building this for sub use, or just biting the bullet and buying a BASH 300 to replace the one that died.

Robert F.

« Reply #1354 on: 6 May 2010, 09:58 am »
Okay, how about this. Could you use the 12v switching power supply from Classdaudio to make a battery powered amp for home use? Sort of like the Dodd products. How many amp hours would battery need? How would power supply compare to the large power supply with the kits? Would a battery power kit appeal to you?  I plan to build the Dodd DIY tube buffer that is battery powered so why not see if the “D” can be made that way also. I would not want a big honkin’ truck battery setting in my system rack, however, if you built a custom battery enclosure……….mmmm must think

Robert

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #1355 on: 6 May 2010, 12:35 pm »
Anyone built the CDA-254S for use as a monoblock for subs?

Assuming I need also to purchase:
PC, PC receptacle with fuse, RCA inputs, speaker outputs, and any case I want to use.
Missed anything?

I am using a pair of these amps for my subs. I didn't need the extra power, so I'm just using one amp in stereo mode for now, actually.  I am thinking of adding another sub or two in the future. Bridged mode would also work fine.  They are quiet, have lots of power and make great sub amps.  You will also need an 8A fuse, switch, and wire.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1356 on: 6 May 2010, 04:55 pm »
Are these Class D amps good enough for you to use as your main amplifier in your system?

I know lots of guys have enjoyed building them and trying them out.  I'm just wondering how many are currently using them as their main amp?  :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #1357 on: 6 May 2010, 05:42 pm »
The OP sold off his $3500 monoblock tube amps in place of the ClassD and also favorable compared them to some very pricey Ice amps.
I think people using these amps for sub use is the exception not the rule.
Drive to Austin and demo the Super.  :eyebrows:

wushuliu

« Reply #1358 on: 6 May 2010, 05:44 pm »
Are these Class D amps good enough for you to use as your main amplifier in your system?

I know lots of guys have enjoyed building them and trying them out.  I'm just wondering how many are currently using them as their main amp?  :thumb:

I'm guessing you skipped, oh, the first 67 pages... :wink:

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #1359 on: 6 May 2010, 08:11 pm »
I'm guessing you skipped, oh, the first 67 pages... :wink:

... ok, you got me!  On that note, maybe I should withdraw my question before I get run out of here.  :o