$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #900 on: 19 Mar 2010, 11:35 am »
You can 86 the magnets unless there larger they don't hold well at all. I'll simply screw the top down so much for that..............Bill

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #901 on: 19 Mar 2010, 12:56 pm »
Maybe you can use electromagnets that don't allow you to open the amp while it has juice and don't hold the lid in place when current is removed. Or maybe just "screw it" and listen.

mintzar

• I bend digital to my will
    • Core Audio Technology
« Reply #902 on: 19 Mar 2010, 01:10 pm »
Rare Earth Neodymium magnets would work. If you get ones that are magnetic from right to left rather than Axially you can attach them that way very easily. Neodymium magnets have a pull strength anywhere from 3lbs-100lbs each and are relatively small and inexpensive (though not as cheap as screws).

ebag4

« Reply #903 on: 19 Mar 2010, 08:40 pm »
Hey Guys!  I finally finished my enlosure.  I had a few finishing problems which I figured out were due to my garage being too cold.  Because of this I had to redo the finishes a couple of times which always ends up looking worse than if it had taken the first time.  At some point down the road I intend to pair this amp with a Dodd Buffer.  Anyway, here are the pics.

As you can see it is pretty tight in there.  If I weren't trying to match this so that it can stack with the Dodd Buffer I would have built it larger.

Best,
Ed

pjchappy

« Reply #904 on: 19 Mar 2010, 08:44 pm »
Very nice.  Great job!  :thumb:

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #905 on: 19 Mar 2010, 09:37 pm »
Maybe you can use electromagnets that don't allow you to open the amp while it has juice and don't hold the lid in place when current is removed. Or maybe just "screw it" and listen.
Building it is more than half of the fun and I am listening to it in another case so, what up dude  :wink:

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #906 on: 19 Mar 2010, 09:40 pm »
ebag4, how did you do the lettering on the front panel?

A little tight, but still a very nice job!

pumpkinman

« Reply #907 on: 19 Mar 2010, 09:40 pm »
Rare Earth Neodymium magnets would work. If you get ones that are magnetic from right to left rather than Axially you can attach them that way very easily. Neodymium magnets have a pull strength anywhere from 3lbs-100lbs each and are relatively small and inexpensive (though not as cheap as screws).
Thank You for the info much appreciated........Bill

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #908 on: 19 Mar 2010, 09:41 pm »
Building it is more than half of the fun and I am listening to it in another case so, what up dude  :wink:
Bill,
I was kidding.

pumpkinman

« Reply #909 on: 19 Mar 2010, 09:53 pm »
Bill,
I was kidding.
I know I loved the screw it line my wife and I had a good laugh, I was just playingHonest I take none of this personal this whole time has been great and I've had a lot of fun have a great weekend.....Bill

steve k

« Reply #910 on: 19 Mar 2010, 10:22 pm »
Beautiful job Ed! Very professional looking. and I though my case was tight!! How did you get the lettering on the faceplate. Make sure and send a pic to Tom. :thumb:
steve

Mariusz

« Reply #911 on: 19 Mar 2010, 10:43 pm »
Hi Ed

great job

The board arrangement is similar to what I have in my "jewelry box".

wushuliu

« Reply #912 on: 19 Mar 2010, 11:29 pm »
Hey Guys!  I finally finished my enlosure.  I had a few finishing problems which I figured out were due to my garage being too cold.  Because of this I had to redo the finishes a couple of times which always ends up looking worse than if it had taken the first time.  At some point down the road I intend to pair this amp with a Dodd Buffer.  Anyway, here are the pics.

As you can see it is pretty tight in there.  If I weren't trying to match this so that it can stack with the Dodd Buffer I would have built it larger.

Best,
Ed

I envy some of you guys. I have no problem messing around w/ the insides, but I have no idea how to build anything as remotely as cool for an enclosure...

ebag4

« Reply #913 on: 20 Mar 2010, 01:03 am »
Thanks guys.  Yes, it is tight in there.  To get the boards out I will have to remove the transformer first.

Regarding the lettering, that was a first time try at engraving.  I first printed out a full size label and stuck it to the Maple.  Then I tried using a Dremel tool but was having trouble controlling it so I ended up using my trusty multitool (utility knfe) to finish it up.  It turned out OK but I think I could do a better job if I started with the knife first.

Best,
Ed

TrungT

« Reply #914 on: 20 Mar 2010, 01:31 am »
Ed
I like the look of the amp, you did a great job.
You can go back the logo with a solder iron.
 :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #915 on: 20 Mar 2010, 04:38 am »
Ed
I like the look of the amp, you did a great job.
You can go back the logo with a solder iron.
 :thumb:
Thanks Trung.  I wish I had thought of/heard of the soldering iron trick before I put 4 coats of poly on the maple.

Best,
Ed

TrungT

« Reply #916 on: 20 Mar 2010, 04:56 am »
Ed
We live and we learn.
May be next build turned out even better.
 :wink:

mjosef

« Reply #917 on: 20 Mar 2010, 05:14 am »

Just packed up Shadowlight's ClassD amp. In the week plus it has been here, it was fun trying different tweaks to tailor the sound to my liking. And given the limitation of it not being my amp, I think I came close. Briefly it requires careful selection of wire to compliment (offset its sound-nature) its sound signature, power cables/IC on the warm side of neutral suits my taste best, it sounds better with power conditioning (see the Felix threads in the Lab circle).
When I unplugged it a few hours ago, I swapped in an Exposure 2010 amp to see how it compares, it came close but the Exposure had better (my preference) bass, better soundstage (more 3D), and an overall liquidity to musical presentation. The ClassD amp has a starkness to it, highlighting percussive notes and female voice, the bass was pretty tight but was a tad too dry IMO.
I think its a very good bargain for the sounds quality it presents.

I will be curious to hear impressions of the next version, with promised improved soundstaging.

Thank again to Shadowlight for the audition.

evan1

« Reply #918 on: 20 Mar 2010, 07:32 am »

Just packed up Shadowlight's ClassD amp. In the week plus it has been here, it was fun trying different tweaks to tailor the sound to my liking. And given the limitation of it not being my amp, I think I came close. Briefly it requires careful selection of wire to compliment (offset its sound-nature) its sound signature, power cables/IC on the warm side of neutral suits my taste best, it sounds better with power conditioning (see the Felix threads in the Lab circle).
When I unplugged it a few hours ago, I swapped in an Exposure 2010 amp to see how it compares, it came close but the Exposure had better (my preference) bass, better soundstage (more 3D), and an overall liquidity to musical presentation. The ClassD amp has a starkness to it, highlighting percussive notes and female voice, the bass was pretty tight but was a tad too dry IMO.
I think its a very good bargain for the sounds quality it presents.

I will be curious to hear impressions of the next version, with promised improved soundstaging.

Thank again to Shadowlight for the audition.

Is the nut driver under the Powercord your best tweak ?

Nick77

« Reply #919 on: 20 Mar 2010, 12:38 pm »
Ed between your new amp and your Neo project you sir are a craftsman. Your replica's are outstanding!  :thumb: