Any Reasonably Affordable Tube Amps That Can Drive .7's Well, In Small Room?

nelsogex

Right, it's not the watts but the current that maggies need.  If you look at some of Nelson Pass's amps, the watt rating is quite low but they deliver high current that will drive inefficient speakers. The concept is similar to car engines with regard to horsepower and torque. A 250 hp honda delivers about 220 foot lbs. of torque.  A 250 hp Ford diesel delivers 400 ft. lbs. of torque.  You need torque to pull a trailer and you need current to drive maggies. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Right, it's not the watts but the current that maggies need.  If you look at some of Nelson Pass's amps, the watt rating is quite low but they deliver high current that will drive inefficient speakers. The concept is similar to car engines with regard to horsepower and torque. A 250 hp honda delivers about 220 foot lbs. of torque.  A 250 hp Ford diesel delivers 400 ft. lbs. of torque.  You need torque to pull a trailer and you need current to drive maggies. 

Listen to this person!

Slapshot

Agreed, about Nelson's Pass amps, and how important current is.

Craig B

So how is high-current reflected in most published specs? What does the average, non-engineer consumer look for? The most I've ever even heard suggested was to check if the 4-ohm power output is close to twice that of the 8-ohm. Seems not only unscientific, but likely to be wrong in the first place.

I.Greyhound Fan

Actually, that statement about Pass amps is not entirely true.  I own a Pass X250 amp, 500wpc at 4 ohms and 250 at 8  ohms.  Its amp rating is 20.  Now I don't know if that is average or peak.  My Parasound A21 is 450 wpc at 4 ohms and 250 at 8 ohms but it is rated at 60 peak amps.  The Pass sounds way better and more dynamic.  Part of it is because it can double its power at 4 ohms and the A21 cannot.  So there is more to it than just amps and watts.   In fact, the A21 specs are better all around compared to the Pass.

Your analogy about torque and HP is true but a low HP high torque engine will take off the line faster but you still need high HP to go fast.  Maggies need both high current and high watts to play loud and sound great and dynamic.  I have owned Maggies for 20 years.

Slapshot

Actually, that statement about Pass amps is not entirely true.  I own a Pass X250 amp, 500wpc at 4 ohms and 250 at 8  ohms.  Its amp rating is 20.  Now I don't know if that is average or peak.  My Parasound A21 is 450 wpc at 4 ohms and 250 at 8 ohms but it is rated at 60 peak amps.  The Pass sounds way better and more dynamic.  Part of it is because it can double its power at 4 ohms and the A21 cannot.  So there is more to it than just amps and watts.   In fact, the A21 specs are better all around compared to the Pass.

Your analogy about torque and HP is true but a low HP high torque engine will take off the line faster but you still need high HP to go fast.  Maggies need both high current and high watts to play loud and sound great and dynamic.  I have owned Maggies for 20 years.

Absolutely agreed. It's the combination of power, current and design that are all critical for optimal performance. If any of those three elements are lacking, the amp will never produce high quality results.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.

And don't forget that Pass also makes some of the best sounding amps around, period.  Even when watts and torque and specs are not accounted for, the man knows how to make an outstanding sounding amp.

I.Greyhound Fan

And don't forget that Pass also makes some of the best sounding amps around, period.  Even when watts and torque and specs are not accounted for, the man knows how to make an outstanding sounding amp.

Believe me, I know that to be true.  Although the rounded sound of Pass is not everyones cup of tea.  The A21 has better attack on the leading edges of notes and bass is tighter but less natural sounding in the A21.  Some people find bass too slow in  Pass amps as they typically have dampening factors between 150 and 250.  The A21's is greater than 1000.

My next amp will be an X250.5 or 250.8 (unless I decide to downsize and go with a Pass or Mac integrated). Although I still love the X250.

Slapshot

Has anyone heard, or heard of a Conrad Johnson MV60SE amp being used with smaller maggies? I suspect this could rive the .7's well, as it is known to perform far above it's stated 60wpc. I also know that it has a lot of current and can deliver its power effectively into lower ohm loads.  I did find an older forum comment somewhere about someone who actually used one for some time with the 3.6's, and said it did quite well, though they ultimately found they did better with more power. If it handled that, I can't imagine it wouldn't be able to drive .7's extremely well?

Any thoughts, or applicable knowledge? Thanks.

Slapshot

Thanks to everyone for their input. Your assistance and information is greatly appreciated. I just managed to close a deal on a mint condition pair of Quicksilver 88 monoblocks, which I have long wanted a set of.
I spoke to Mike Sanders of Quicksliver and he assured me that thee amps put out a very strong 100wpc, with high current and into just about any load. So all should be good, especially in my very small room and nearfield setup.

Thanks again.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
I'm looking forward to your impressions.
Congratulations in advance!

Slapshot

I'm looking forward to your impressions.
Congratulations in advance!

Thanks Steve! I heard these some years back, and was very impressed with them, as I have been with all the amps made by this particular company. These were also in Stereophile's Class A for tube amps during their production time, and finding anything even remotely affordable in that class is extremely difficult, if not impossible. I was very fortunate. The Silver 88's  can also be very hard to find on the used market, I've only seen a couple in the past three or four years appear for sale.

I'll report back. 

Slapshot

I'm very pleased to report that the wonderful Quicksilver Silver 88 monoblocks, using the Genelex Gold Lion reissue tubes, drives the 1.7i's beautifully in my 10x10 room. I couldn't be happier. Thanks to everyone
who offered responses and assistance.

Wind Chaser

How near is your near field? I have a pair of the .7 on the way and I have a smallish room of very odd proportions. I'll be driving them with 200 watt Cherry mono blocks. I also ordered a pair of Mye stands which will take about three weeks before they are ready.

Slapshot

How near is your near field? I have a pair of the .7 on the way and I have a smallish room of very odd proportions. I'll be driving them with 200 watt Cherry mono blocks. I also ordered a pair of Mye stands which will take about three weeks before they are ready.

The .7's are no more than 5 feet from my seat. And they perform extremely well at that distance.

Wind Chaser

How wide are they spread apart?

witchdoctor

A Carver Crimson 275 tube amp will make your speakers stand up and salute:

https://www.musicdirect.com/power-amp/Bob-Carver-275-Stereo-Tube-Amplifier

Slapshot

How wide are they spread apart?

About 3.5 feet.