Poseidon's Voice Lazarus

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Poseidon's Voice Lazarus
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jul 2013, 09:23 pm »
What an amazing build!  That is an spectacular execution of a near to perfection design.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Dave

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #41 on: 13 Jul 2013, 09:59 pm »
Hello!

For James re: having a tour. I did do just such a tour many years back and it was actually quite a hassle. Too bad because I had (naively I guess) hoped it would be great fun!  Most folks were really good about it but a couple times folks hung onto it way longer than they promised and then add in some packing / shipping incidents and it was less than fun.... Worst of those was that one guy pulled the lid off then packed it in a box with Styrofoam peanuts. The thing showed up at the next stop jam packed full of the packing materials. Less than impressive.... Anyway with the small margins I run here I just can't afford the cost and time and hassles.

The best way to do that trial is to just grab a pair of Dave Slagles manual modules and slap some cables on them. They are here:

http://www.intactaudio.com/atten.html

Then you can play and just find a new home for them later or keep'em around as they are handy to have. Some guys use them for padding levels between amps, etc... If you sell them after you are done ( maybe to someone who does not solder ) I'll bet it would not be a great deal more expensive than the ship charges for a full on pre-amp.

BTW - here is a link to a project done with those modules by Dick Olsher:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0611/slagle_autoformer_volume_control_modules.htm

If you don't need remote it's a super way to go and far less expensive than the AVC-1 route.

Thansk!

John

Thanks John for this excellent advice.  Sorry the tour had so many issues; I sympathize with the problems described. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #42 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:21 am »
Well...time to resurrect this thread. About 8 weeks ago, I contacted the Slagle/Chapman group about the possibility of upgrading my Lazarus to silver AVC status. About 8 weeks later, they arrived!

1st some pics of the previous copper AVC:

Notice the super fine 30+ gauge wire, some serious skills to solder that bugger. Kudos to Dave Slagle. And thanks to Chapman for testing them.

Next the silver AVC, observe the change in the color of the wire:

Apparently it's made out of unobtanium, judging by the cost  :duh:

More pics of the silver AVC by itself:

And now in my Lazarus  :icon_twisted: :

It's pretty much indistinguishable from the copper AVC until you get close, but sonically...well, I'll just have to wait and see  :P

Best,
Anand.

Folsom

« Reply #43 on: 18 Jun 2017, 05:01 am »
Do tell after you get some hours on it.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:03 pm »
Nice, I'd like to pick up a set myself but not quite ready yet... luckily I'll only need 2 of them.  :green: