The best sounding subs need a solid box...

Danny Richie

Re: The best sounding subs need a solid box...
« Reply #40 on: 1 Aug 2008, 02:49 pm »
The amp has a gasket on it that will seal it. I did however, put a small enclosure around mine to further seal it. I will have the flat wall of the amp enclosure covered with No Rez as well.

griddall

« Reply #41 on: 1 Aug 2008, 04:38 pm »
Do you line the entire box in No-Rez?  If so, how many sheets does it require?

Danny Richie

« Reply #42 on: 1 Aug 2008, 05:09 pm »
Do you line the entire box in No-Rez?  If so, how many sheets does it require?

I did. You can cover the 4 sides between the braces and just use 1 sheet. If you want to cover any sub enclosure covering the plate amp then you'll need a second sheet.

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
« Reply #43 on: 9 Aug 2008, 02:03 am »
Danny-

Wondering if you could comment on the sonic differences between the SandBox and the standard sealed enclosure.  The SandBox looks to be a great design, just wondering if you had thoughts after comparison listening.

Also, was wondering if you could extrapolate on the measures you took to seal the amp from the air space.  I'm assuming you built a box around the amp, with the wires passing through to woofer.  Any info or pics would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

griddall

« Reply #44 on: 20 Aug 2008, 02:32 pm »
are the wood screws that come with the sub driver sufficient to support the driver or would I be better off using T-bolts (I think that is what they are called. 

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 20 Aug 2008, 04:05 pm »
The wood screws will work fine.

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #46 on: 2 Sep 2008, 08:59 pm »

Also, was wondering if you could extrapolate on the measures you took to seal the amp from the air space.  I'm assuming you built a box around the amp, with the wires passing through to woofer.  Any info or pics would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I've been wondering about this myself, and will soon have to make some sort of hole to pass the wires. I've thought of a little door with some gasket with the wires being squished in the gasket, or just drilling a hole, and  sealing it with some good caulk (which will be annoying should I need to remove the amp or speaker).  Or, just put a little hole and leave it open. The back wall to which the amp is mounted, is sealed too...

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #47 on: 2 Sep 2008, 10:35 pm »
well binding posts would seem appropriate...

-Tony

fcraven

« Reply #48 on: 3 Sep 2008, 10:45 pm »
well binding posts would seem appropriate...

Seem appropriate, but I'm not going there, I'll likely just use some big stretch caulk to fill a small passthrough hole.

As for the binding posts. I have a love hate relationship with them in general. If I had my way -- and perhaps in a future speaker project I'll do it this way -- I would simply run the internal wires out of the cabinet, and direct solder the speaker wires, that eliminates one solder joints and one compression joint in the signal path. Not to mention the money you save on the binding posts.

Sure, you're stuck with your chosen speaker wires, but you can always re-solder it later on.....hmmmm. maybe I WILL do this on my Neo-2-Xs....

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #49 on: 4 Sep 2008, 01:45 am »
... or maybe no box and a lot of cone area! :surrender:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #50 on: 4 Sep 2008, 11:41 am »
or maybe no box and a lot of cone area!
O.B. is the future! aa

jk@home

« Reply #51 on: 17 Dec 2008, 12:19 am »
Any updates on this sub box, did it perform as expected? In your opinion, was it worth the extra effort over a standard braced cabinet?
If so, what kind of sand did you use ("sharp" or "round") and is there any concern that the sand would settle over time and "shake" in the box?
I need to build two boxes and am interested in this design.

kyrill

« Reply #52 on: 17 Dec 2008, 12:31 am »
if you still have choice
why not choose for an OB design for most open resonance free bass?
no sand, except on the beach ;)
easy enclosure and so on

jk@home

« Reply #53 on: 17 Dec 2008, 12:05 pm »
Not interested in OB, plus the drivers I plan to use at first I already have, Rythmik non-servos, which are recommended for a sealed enclosure.
Later will upgrade to the servo sealed models.

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 17 Dec 2008, 02:16 pm »
The sand box worked out great and was actually pretty easy to build.

I used play sand from Lowe's and I sifted out the larger pieces and used only the finer sand.

A little rocking around and hitting the sides with a rubber mallet allowed it to be packed in pretty well.

jk@home

« Reply #55 on: 17 Dec 2008, 02:37 pm »
Thanks, glad to hear it worked out.

Since the 2 cu.ft. sealed box is an easy design, figured I can add a little effort to the box construction.

Here's a question maybe either you or Brian Ding can help with. Instead of going the sand route, if I were to build a single wall cabinet, and line all the internal walls with 2" Owen Corning 703 fiberglass instead of polyfil (excluding any bracing), would the driver "see" a larger enclosure, and if so, what internal area should I start with.

I'm thinking with the above scenario, I could still build a double wall cabinet (without the air space in between the two walls), and end up with an external size similar to a single wall box.

Danny Richie

« Reply #56 on: 17 Dec 2008, 03:54 pm »
If I weren't going the sand lined route then above and beyond a thicker wall I would use a lot of bracing. It is better to break up any flat panel areas so that it minimizes any chance of a resonance.

Any damping material used to slow down the air flow in a box will make the woofer act as if it is in a larger box.

jk@home

« Reply #57 on: 17 Dec 2008, 08:54 pm »
Any damping material used to slow down the air flow in a box will make the woofer act as if it is in a larger box.

Yes that's what I was thinking. So I could build a box with an internal area of say 1.75 cu. ft., add the fiberglass, and the driver "sees" an internal of 2 cu.ft. Which would then equal a smaller outside box dimension. Of course I would still do the proper bracing on the inside.

fcraven

« Reply #58 on: 17 Dec 2008, 09:46 pm »
FWIW...I can't say that I know all the ins and outs of all the subwoofers available these days. but, I do know that most conveniently available subs have thin walls, and sound like [insert favorite rude word here], as demonstrated by the way the sound in the store (or in some [again...]'s cars).

I also know that the subs I might want to buy have slightly more solid walls, are overpriced, and are not in my budget.

BUT, I know that my sandbox is beyond what I had imagined, so, I'm a happy camper.
My only error is that I didn't get a long enough sub wire (soon to be corrected).

Another thing... If you put 50+ pounds of sand into your sub...
verily thine subwoofer will much weight now have.
it's a minor detail
(oh, yeah, you can hear all the minor details too)

jk@home

« Reply #59 on: 21 Jan 2009, 12:31 pm »

How about a variation of the sand box idea, a sort of in-between the sand and non-sand versions.

One of my "diy project to be" is building one of Bob Brines TL single driver speakers (LT-2000). He sells the plans, which I have purchased. In it, and on his web site, he states that he uses Hardi-Backer board to line the inner enclosure, before attaching the damping insulation.

Obviously one would have to adjust the internal volume measurements to account for the extra lining.

Good idea?