See Andy's new Cherry Diluceo's (pics)

Danny Richie

« on: 30 Aug 2003, 09:03 pm »
These Cherry enclosures were made by Darren Thomas.

They were assembled here at GR and shipped to Andy.

Andy's were also the first to get a new 2" flared port from Precision Sound Products.

It has a really big flare for a 2" port.

He had matching stands made too.   :thumb:

nature boy

« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2003, 11:11 pm »
Sweet,

Congrats to Danny and Darren for a great looking and sounding speaker.  Very nice.  Excellen WAF too.  The flared port sides are a very nice touch, although I doubt folks will be spending a lot of time looking at the back of this speaker.

NB

BikeWNC

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2003, 12:39 am »
NB,

Your right about the very high WAF.  Everytime my wife walks into the room she says "those really are beautiful."  Every time I turn the system on I say, "those really are beautiful."    :D  It really is a shame that Darren has had to put his cabinet business on hold.  He makes awesome enclosures.

Andy

Ravi

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2003, 12:54 am »
Wow, those are stunning!!   I remember when he built Al and my 1801s, it was truly a work of art.   Darren is a very bright guy, and I hope he comes back to making enclosures again.

Andy, just curious, what speakers have you had in the past, and how would you stack them up to the Diluceo's?

BikeWNC

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2003, 01:40 am »
Ravi,

The Diluceos are replacing Vienna Acoustic Mozarts.  The Mozarts are very nice, warm, laid back speakers.  I feel however that they are problematic in my small room (16x14) with the bass they try to produce, down to 35 Hz.  I always had a broad 12 dB peak centered at 45 Hz.  They can be somewhat difficult to place for proper imaging and focus, but when that placement is found they perform well.  

The Diluceos on the other hand are easily placed, though I haven't spent much time finding that perfect spot just yet.  The ribbon tweeter, while it has wide dispersion, does not seem to cause as many reflection problems as the dome tweeter on the Mozarts.  The ribbon also has more detail while having a very relaxed nature.  Bass is more articulate on the Diluceos and I'm filling in the low end with a Rel sub.  These observations are with just 20 hours of play.  Some things may change.  The Diluceos are so easy to listen to.  No fatigue at all.  I won't comment on depth or soundstage as I feel these are still changing as the speakers open up with more play.  But I will say they already have a very seductive and engaging sound.  Very musical while also offering the details

FWIW, I'm driving the Diluceos with Odyssey Extreme Monos which I think is overkill.  I can't turn the gain up on the preamp past 10:00 without getting run out of the room.

Todd Krieger

Re: See Andy's new Cherry Diluceo's (pics)
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2003, 04:10 am »
How does the new port differ "sonically" from the original "dual" port?  :?:  Thanks!

Quote from: Danny
These Cherry enclosures were made by Darren Thomas.

They were assembled here at GR and shipped to Andy.

/pics/

Andy's were also the first to get a new 2" flared port from Precision Sound Products.

/pic/

It has a really big flare for a 2" port.

He had matching stands made too.   :thumb:

nature boy

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2003, 01:12 pm »
Andy,

My wife never says that about my Vandy 2 CE signature speakers. :(   I was also sorry to hear the Darren has given up the hobby to focus on his real job, I hope he returns to his speaker cabinet building as he is very talented.

My wife doesn't mind the Vandy's in my dedicated listening room, because she knows that's my space.

We do however have Vandy 2 CE's (regular variety) front L & R, the VCC-1 center channel and a couple of old Mission monitors in my separate home theater set up in our family room.  Although the room is large, the speakers are kind of bulky.

Maybe I should offer to change these out for some of Klaus's new fine looking speakers or a set of four GR Research AV2's, a shielded AV2 center channel, and a matching ACI Force sub.  This might make my wife, Klaus or Danny, and me all happy at the same time.  :D

NB