Re: Any Good RMAF live feeds?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Oct 2008, 07:42 pm »
PLus congrats to another home fav group Van Alstine and Salk..  :green:
http://blog.stereophile.com/rmaf2008/101108van_alstine/
M

mca

« Reply #21 on: 11 Oct 2008, 08:46 pm »
Is that a new model 550? It looks a little different and the power output (according to Stereophile) is higher.

Scott F.

« Reply #22 on: 11 Oct 2008, 09:49 pm »
Here are some open baffle speakers from Lowther America which use a 4" Lowther full range augmented by a 12" Tone Tubby woofer.  Very nice and easy to listen to.  May have been a bit rolled off but after hearing too many screechy rooms, this one was a pleasure.

I don't remember what source was used last year, but Nelson was looking quite satisfied when Bob Smith and I came through, and justifiably so.  I was surprised by how good these speakers sounded, much better than I expected.  I don't recall them sounding rolled-off in the least, but a different source, program material or any of a number of things might explain the different perception.

IIRC, I believe Nelson said the speaker's were his, which I took to mean they were his design.

Hey DU,

I just talked to Jon VerHalen (Lowther America) out at the show and he confirmed the drivers as being the PM6As. Previously Jon was running a modified Basszilla design (Dick Olsher) that was the PM6A on top and a 15"er in a ported cabinet on the bottom. Jon has since switched to a true open baffle (as I understand). If I know Jon, he has his 15" Hartleys sitting somewhere around there so he can turn on a sub on occasion.

When it comes to the sound of the better Lowthers, (IMO) there are few speakers that can do what a good Lowther can. Since I've gone with the PM2A in an open baffle configuration cut off at 125Hz and a 15"er filling in the bottom, there isn't anything I'd rather listen to. If you thought Jon's speakers sounded good the last time you heard them, you should hear what they can do in a 'proper' room. If you ever make it up north to St Louis, you owe it to yourself to stop by and give mine a listen. Just give me a buzz or drop me a PM. I'd be happy to have you over  :thumb:

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #23 on: 11 Oct 2008, 10:24 pm »
How much are PM6As?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #24 on: 11 Oct 2008, 11:19 pm »
From the picture of Franks and Jim Salks gear, it looks like Frank is still using his $15 IC's and speaker wire to the HT-3's. LOL

TomS

« Reply #25 on: 11 Oct 2008, 11:44 pm »
Which iteration of the First Watt amp are those?
Can't tell from the photo.
Still have boards to build the F2.
Lyndon
What is pictured is the phono preamp.  They were using an F5 on the OB speakers.

Double Ugly

« Reply #26 on: 12 Oct 2008, 12:16 am »
If you thought Jon's speakers sounded good the last time you heard them, you should hear what they can do in a 'proper' room. If you ever make it up north to St Louis, you owe it to yourself to stop by and give mine a listen. Just give me a buzz or drop me a PM. I'd be happy to have you over  :thumb:

You've just made a terrible mistake, 'cause I'm just the type to take you up on it. :green:

Seriously, thank you very much for the invite, my friend.  I will be in contact the next time I'm in the area.   

TerryO

« Reply #27 on: 12 Oct 2008, 02:01 am »
Here are some open baffle speakers from Lowther America which use a 4" Lowther full range augmented by a 12" Tone Tubby woofer.  Very nice and easy to listen to.  May have been a bit rolled off but after hearing too many screechy rooms, this one was a pleasure.

I don't remember what source was used last year, but Nelson was looking quite satisfied when Bob Smith and I came through, and justifiably so.  I was surprised by how good these speakers sounded, much better than I expected.  I don't recall them sounding rolled-off in the least, but a different source, program material or any of a number of things might explain the different perception.

IIRC, I believe Nelson said the speaker's were his, which I took to mean they were his design.

Hey DU,

I just talked to Jon VerHalen (Lowther America) out at the show and he confirmed the drivers as being the PM6As. Previously Jon was running a modified Basszilla design (Dick Olsher) that was the PM6A on top and a 15"er in a ported cabinet on the bottom. Jon has since switched to a true open baffle (as I understand). If I know Jon, he has his 15" Hartleys sitting somewhere around there so he can turn on a sub on occasion.

When it comes to the sound of the better Lowthers, (IMO) there are few speakers that can do what a good Lowther can. Since I've gone with the PM2A in an open baffle configuration cut off at 125Hz and a 15"er filling in the bottom, there isn't anything I'd rather listen to. If you thought Jon's speakers sounded good the last time you heard them, you should hear what they can do in a 'proper' room. If you ever make it up north to St Louis, you owe it to yourself to stop by and give mine a listen. Just give me a buzz or drop me a PM. I'd be happy to have you over  :thumb:

Those look to be the same speakers that Jon had at VSAC. He was running the Lowthers with Tone Tubby woofers on solid maple baffles. A question as to your statement about the Hartley Sub, isn't that their 18 inch driver. AFAIK, Hartley makes 10 inch, 18 inch and 24 inch drivers.
I and many others felt they were about the best sound in the show. Here's some VSAC coverage that shows Jon's speakers rather well.
Before anyone asks: Yes, those are a couple pairs of my speakers on page 3.

Best Regards,
TerryO

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/vsac_2008/

mcullinan

« Reply #28 on: 12 Oct 2008, 05:47 pm »
I didnt want to resort to this, but these are desperate times. I DONT want to see any RMAF photos by anyone (reverse psychology, muhahaha)
Sorry I had to do it. :)
Mike

Scott F.

« Reply #29 on: 12 Oct 2008, 06:54 pm »
 :duh: Terry, of course you are correct about size. My bad.

PBR, the PM6As run $1295/pr according to Jon's website. They are very close in sound to my PM2As. Be forewarned, these things take many, many hundreds (if not thousands) of hours to completely break in. I found that after about 2k hours mine were about as good as they could get. It wasn't just me, several of the local guys commented (without solicitation) how much they calmed down after some serious time on them.

Oh and one last thing, just in case you are a Stereophile reader, Dudley wrote that he just sold off his Lowthers partially because he had to realign them a couple times a year. He had the newer design which completely relieves owners of this exact issue. I have no idea why he was constantly screwing with them but in over 5 years of ownership, I've not had to realign them a single time. I know Jon VerHalen quite well and asked him the same question after reading Dudleys comments. He said he'd never realigned his either.

That said, I have taken the Alnico magnet off and tried the Ticonal magnets as has Jon. I didn't have any issues getting them realigned. In fact I've realigned a few Lowthers over the years that have been knocked out of whack either by shipping goons or by self-inflicted stupidity (read=dropping a driver). No real trick to doing it for someone with dexterity and the ability of logical thought.

I just wanted to give you contrary perspective from a longtime owner.

mcullinan

« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2008, 11:10 pm »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #31 on: 14 Oct 2008, 02:07 am »
Mike....
You need to attend the 2009 show... :wink:

As for coverage....show reports...here's some....

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/rmaf_2008

http://blog.stereophile.com/rmaf2008/

Some more will be coming...

http://www.positive-feedback.com/

http://www.audiofederation.com/hifiing/2008/RMAF2008/index.htm

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #32 on: 14 Oct 2008, 02:09 am »