Service Interval - Oil Change for BMW Z4

viggen

Service Interval - Oil Change for BMW Z4
« on: 16 Oct 2008, 03:17 am »
Hello:

I have read varied things from 5k to 15k.  Dealer recommends 15k, but BMW forum people claim this is BMW's ploy to mitigate their warranty cost.  Whereas, drivers should get their car serviced between 7-9k.

Now, I have asked friends who have gotten their cars serviced at independents.  And, they spend somewhere between $60-90$ per.

Today, I found a place that is 1/4 mile from my work.  He charges $189 for 15k miles service. 

So, is there a difference between "just" an oil change and the 15k service?  Is that $189 a sucker price?

Thanks in advance!

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
Re: Service Interval - Oil Change for BMW Z4
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2008, 03:31 am »
Don't have a direct answer to your question, but I have had mine for over a year with less than 10K miles.  BMW dealer did the oil change, wiper blade and multiple point check for free.

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2008, 04:52 am »
Oh, I guess I should add my Z4 is out of warranty...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2008, 11:40 am »
I have read varied things from 5k to 15k.  .... BMW forum people claim ......drivers should get their car serviced between 7-9k.
I've given similar recommendation to my customers. Saab recommends 10k to 15k intervals depending on year/model/engine. "Technically", yea, you should (at least) follow the manufacturers recommendation, but many folks believe some of these intervals are are slightly on the lengthy side of things. Saab gives a few services for free as does BMW, so the argument the extraordinarily long intervals would save them (the manufacturer) on maintenance cost. Is this possible? Sure, absolutely. But it all boils down to how long you plan on keeping the car, how much you 'abuse' the engines oil, and how good of a job you want to do on maintaining your car.

Regarding the "sucker price", well.....It depends on exactly what it is they're going to do for that $189. If it's a lot of "fluff and B.S." in addition to an oil change, then no, you're not getting your monies worth. It's a given they're checking tire PSI, topping off fluids, etc... If they're truly performing all of those little extra things they are supposed to be doing, like lubing door hinges, lubing weatherstripping etc.... then YES, by all means get it done. But if there's a lot of sales pitch involved in the description of what they're doing then you're getting ganked.

Your owners manual should have an itemized list of what exactly a 15k entails (I'll be at work in a couple hours and have access to software that lists exactly what's BMW recommends).  Again, if it's a lot of "fluff and B.S.", then I'd say just do oil changes. It's been a long time since I worked at a place that services BMW's, but if I recall correctly, it was an impressive list of "all those little things" everybody should do to properly maintain their automobile.
Without seeing the list, my recommendation would be to do the 15k's as recommended, but "on the 7,500's", just do a plain Jane ($60-$90) oil change.

Bob

viggen

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2008, 08:01 pm »
my recommendation would be to do the 15k's as recommended, but "on the 7,500's", just do a plain Jane ($60-$90) oil change.

That's exactly what I was planning to do.  Just needed some reinforcements.   :lol:

kyyuan

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2008, 08:15 pm »
I'm a bimmer guy.  Based on copious amount of research, I'd suggest every 7,500 miles for oil change and 15,000 miles for more "extravagant" services.  Mine, too, just came off warranty.  FYI -- bimmerfest.com is a great resource for bimmer owners.

strider

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2008, 08:22 pm »
Volvo's done similar with their maintenance intervals. They started pushing the more costly maintenance items past the coverage limits of the service package you get with the car. The manufacturer pays for the first four services, every 7500 miles, so up to 30k. Coincidentally, the spark plug replacement interval got pushed from 30k to 60k miles.

Bob's post was right on.

viggen

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2008, 11:22 pm »
Thanks guys.  I am going to go for the 15k early next week.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2008, 02:31 am »
ZOOM ZOOM!  aa  More power to ya' Brother!