Self-powered Song3 BeAT's

jsalk

Self-powered Song3 BeAT's
« on: 8 Dec 2022, 09:00 pm »
Don and Jill wanted a pair of Song3 BeAT's for their bedroom but wanted them self-powered so they didn't need a lot of source equipment.  While we haven't really promoted self-powered versions of our speakers, virtually any speaker we build can be self-powered with an active crossover and built-in Class D amplifiers.

Here is a picture of the finished speakers...

The finish was burled walnut with spalted beech front baffles.  Here is a close-up...

Message from Jill...

"We have been completely enthralled with the music - holiday AND classical :) -  all last evening and all morning today! Speakers look gorgeous in our bedroom and are sounding more beautiful with each passing listening minute. We toasted to YOU with our champagne last night! Thank you for being an awesome Santa!!!"

Happy listening Don and Jill!

- Jim

jsalk

Re: Self-powered Song3 BeAT's
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2023, 06:52 pm »
A note from the owners...

"If you’re looking for a set of speakers that have ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING - fantastic highs, robust midrange, powerful bass that will knock your socks off, built-in DAC, pre-amp, and amp, and the renowned, stunning Jim Salk finish - look no further. The Active Song3 BeAT’s may be just for you. Set-up is as easy as plug-and-play, and the expansive sound gets richer by the hour. These are truly speakers that never stop giving. Highly recommended by another satisfied Salk customer! "

- Jill and Don McClung

Thanks for the kind words.  Happy listening!

- Jim

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2023, 06:59 pm »
Thank you for sharing, Jim. Did you install one of the FusionAmps into the speakers?

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2023, 08:18 pm »
Thank you for sharing, Jim. Did you install one of the FusionAmps into the speakers?

Yes, the FA503 version.

- Jim

Hydro

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2023, 11:59 pm »
A neat thing about the FA503 is that you can pick the style of dac you use. All of my other systems have single bit dac's. Setting the internal dac to the number 4 position (slow,slow) made the sound more analog to my ears. Tried the number 5 which is supposed to be essentially single nos but didn't like the sound as well as #4. My engineer friend says the #3 (slow, fast) position measures the same as # 4 but I preferred the #4.

The terminology in this white paper is a little different but it explains the concept.

https://www.ayre.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2023, 12:37 am »
A neat thing about the FA503 is that you can pick the style of dac you use. All of my other systems have single bit dac's. Setting the internal dac to the number 4 position (slow,slow) made the sound more analog to my ears. Tried the number 5 which is supposed to be essentially single nos but didn't like the sound as well as #4. My engineer friend says the #3 (slow, fast) position measures the same as # 4 but I preferred the #4.

The terminology in this white paper is a little different but it explains the concept.

https://www.ayre.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf

There are DAC settings in the software for the FA503 or are you using the analog out of a DAC, with filtering options, into the FA503?

Hydro

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2023, 02:07 am »
There are dac settings in the software for the FA503.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2023, 04:15 am »
Thank you for the reply. I had no idea the FA503 had that ability. Do you know if the other 3-channel FusionAmps do, as well?
I could not find anything inside their manuals.

Hydro

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2023, 04:25 pm »
I only have experience with the FA305. I would assume that they all have. I will ask my friend that is much more fluent in dealing with these amps and get back with you. For me the difference was a game changer in how much I enjoyed the speakers.