Best SS Amplification for entry-level Maggies?

Merckx1

Best SS Amplification for entry-level Maggies?
« on: 20 Oct 2021, 12:49 am »
Hello! I'm looking for advice on the best bang for the buck amplification for my Magnepan LRS's, I am open to Class D but it has to sound sweet, clear and sound good even at low volumes. I have a W4S ST Integrated and it gives 98% of what I want. I am thinking of other options.
Any experience using the Peachtree Nova 300 with Maggies?
Do I just need to finally get on the room treatment bandwagon to see if that with smooth the high frequencies??
Sorry for the ramble.
Thank you!

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Best SS Amplification for entry-level Maggies?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2021, 01:11 am »
Maggie user here, what is your budget?  I have heard people getting good results with the Peachtree and maggies.  It seems that you are looking for integrated amps.  Without knowing your budget consider Parasound Halo Int., Rotel 1592MKII, Hegel, Musical Fidelity, Luxman.  I love the Marantz PM-KI Ruby.  I love the sound of this integrated.  It has just a fabulous midrange and tone with plenty of power and headroom.  It had the best piano and female vocals when I heard it with a pair of Focal 948's.  Marantz way under rates its power specs.  And I am a big believer in high power, high current and high capacitance amps with Maggies.  When I decide to move on from my Pass Labs amp and BAT preamp, I may buy the Marantz.

The Marantz has a slightly warmer sound and may tame some of the upper frequencies.  I am also very sensitive to high frequencies.

I recommend you look at separates like AVA gear, Parasound A23+, or Parasound Classic.  Pair with a Schiit Frey + tube preamp.  Maggies and especially the LRS will let you know when your electronics are not up to snuff.

To  smooth out the high frequencies, get yourself a Mills 1, 1.2 or 1.5 ohm resistor to use with the tweeter.  I assume the LRS comes with the sandcast resistors to tame the tweeter if you want to.  I would buy both the 1 and 1.5 ohm mills and see what you like better.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/mills-mra-12-resistors.html

Dueland also makes some nice resistors but they are expensive.  I had to do the same with my 1.6's and my MMG's.  Also, play around with toe in and toe out with the LRS's. 

https://www.partsconnexion.com/duel-cast-graphite-resistors.html

avta

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2021, 04:29 am »
If I remember correctly  the only recommendation Magnepan makes about amplifiers is that they double their output at 4 Ohms as compared to 8 Ohms. That would be a good place to start.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2021, 01:47 pm by avta »

Markwatkiss

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2021, 10:21 am »
I’m a long time fan and owner of Magnepan speakers and even their entry level LRS model is professional grade.My preferred amplification is Bryston,a 4B3 coupled with an accomplished tube pre amp to flesh out the musical presentation will be a seamless match with any Maggie.
The only thing between you and music will be the air.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2021, 10:57 am »
Good advice from everybody.
I went with a conrad-johnson MF-2275 and am very happy with it.
Don't bother calling Magnepan about specific recommendations as they'll refer you to their web site's FAQ.

In a small room the 2275/LRS combo will blow me out of my chair and barely gets warm.

Craig B

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2021, 11:12 am »
If you're looking for an integrated, I'd suggest auditioning a PS Audio Sprout 100. If separates, try their S300. I use their M700 monoblocks with my Maggie .7s and absolutely love them. Before hearing the M700s, though, I lived very happily with my .7s being driven by an Emotiva BasX A-300. That's an amp that punches way above its price class, IMO.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2021, 01:32 pm »
Hello! I'm looking for advice on the best bang for the buck amplification for my Magnepan LRS's, I am open to Class D but it has to sound sweet, clear and sound good even at low volumes. I have a W4S ST Integrated and it gives 98% of what I want. I am thinking of other options.
Any experience using the Peachtree Nova 300 with Maggies?
Do I just need to finally get on the room treatment bandwagon to see if that with smooth the high frequencies??
Sorry for the ramble.
Thank you!

Setting them up is half the battle. You can tame the top with proper toe in and taming first wall reflections. Saying that it may not be the amp. My  guess the front end may be contributing to tame top end. The Maggies expose upstream issues. The Peachtree Amp is smoother on top than the W4S. Have fun.

charles

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2021, 03:38 pm »
I'd go with the Odyssey Stratos or Kismet.  Similar levels of grip and control as the Bryston, but way more musical.

jjss49

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2021, 08:20 pm »
truth is, many a decent higher powered ss amp can do the job fine

as one example, the very knowledgeable guys at audio excellence in toronto (maggie dealers) have had great luck with hegels

LouM5

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2021, 08:47 pm »
I have 1.7is with a parasound a21+ being fed direct by oppo205 or ps audio dsd sr.
I would not change  a thing.

mcmusicman

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2021, 01:01 am »
I’m a long time fan and owner of Magnepan speakers and even their entry level LRS model is professional grade.My preferred amplification is Bryston,a 4B3 coupled with an accomplished tube pre amp to flesh out the musical presentation will be a seamless match with any Maggie.
The only thing between you and music will be the air.

+1 Mark.  I upgraded my pre amp to the EAR Yoshino 868 for my 4B3.  I had no idea how good the pairing could be.  Your description is spot on. "Air" indeed.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2021, 02:26 pm »
While not the LRS, the best amp pairing I had with my 1.6QR's was a Crown XLS 1500.  It's not an integrated, so you'll need a DAC with volume control, a preamp or if your integrated today has pre outs it could also work.