2022 Toyota Tundra

WGH

Re: 2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2021, 09:29 pm »
They have people making STUPID decisions about aesthetics based on piss poor market research.

I never noticed the grills of pickup trucks when driving my lifted '77 Wagoneer but now puttering around in a gas saving Ford Focus that's all I see in my rear view mirror.

I guess the 2020's is the era of the grill just like 1959 was the era of the fin.

Somebody decided that driving a truck that looked like a brick was an excellent design choice. I should know because my Jeep is a brick but I would have hoped truck designs would have evolved in 43 years from looking like Peterbilt semi's.

What the heck are they gonna do when everything is all electric in a few years and a grill is no longer needed? Maybe fins will come back.

Or pickups will look like Blue Origin rockets on wheels, that will let everyone know what you have under the hood.

Early B.

« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2021, 09:58 pm »
I never noticed the grills of pickup trucks when driving my lifted '77 Wagoneer but now puttering around in a gas saving Ford Focus that's all I see in my rear view mirror.

I guess the 2020's is the era of the grill just like 1959 was the era of the fin.

Somebody decided that driving a truck that looked like a brick was an excellent design choice. I should know because my Jeep is a brick but I would have hoped truck designs would have evolved in 43 years from looking like Peterbilt semi's.

What the heck are they gonna do when everything is all electric in a few years and a grill is no longer needed? Maybe fins will come back.

Love the big grilles on trucks nowadays. It's a manly look,  even though they're plastic. Just need to revert to steel grilles and bumpers!!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2021, 10:13 pm »
I think the tough look is finding it's way to all manner of automovia. Can't say I love it, but drive old junk so when current stuff is in my range, I'll have gotten more accustomed.

I don't know if anyone here follows Sarah-N-Tuned but I had to laugh when she described the grill on new Toyota. See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQtkd4s0_Yk

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 14 Oct 2021, 06:34 pm »
The Tacoma does need an improvement. It hasn't been near the quality of yesteryear or Tundras for awhile.

Early B.

« Reply #24 on: 14 Oct 2021, 10:35 pm »
The Tacoma does need an improvement. It hasn't been near the quality of yesteryear or Tundras for awhile.

Definitely. Toyota has always been very conservative, but with today's technological advancements moving so rapidly, Toyota is always three steps behind the competition. It's as though their US market is a low priority for them. I love my Tacoma, but there are several more modern options worth considering. 

RDavidson

« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2021, 10:56 pm »
Definitely. Toyota has always been very conservative, but with today's technological advancements moving so rapidly, Toyota is always three steps behind the competition.

Man if Toyota is 3 steps behind, Honda is 4. Only recently have they started getting back to making interesting (if not truly exciting) vehicles.

Prior to the 2nd gen NSX, the most fun/exciting vehicle one could get from Honda (or Acura) in the U.S. was a Civic Si.

Folsom

« Reply #26 on: 18 Oct 2021, 04:59 am »
Well it's taken so long for the other companies to catch up that they've been able to relax forever... now they're faced with some kind of competition.

I still prefer Toyota/Honda because they're better for almost everything. They're also the two biggest domestic manufacturers right now.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: 2023 Toyota Tundra Update 4/26/23
« Reply #27 on: 26 Apr 2023, 02:35 pm »
Update:

Well, it's been 18 months since I asked about pickups, and I still own my '07 Taco Prerunner with ~105,000 miles on it. I honestly can't fault it as a utility vehicle for moving goods, supplies, or fun stuff like compost. It's great for camping trips. However, we're not interested in taking any more long distance roadtrips in it, and my wife doesn't enjoy driving it.

Since my original post in this thread, I decided to wait until after the 2022 Tundra had all its 'oopsies' and recalls sussed out in order to make sure the new line lives up to expectations. I'm still very interested in a Tundra and - to a lesser extent - the F150s. I really haven't considered buying a new Tacoma due to towing capability limitations. Then, just last night I watched a teaser video of the new Tacoma, and I got all excited again. No one knows if the towing capacity will get a boost, but depending on what its capabilities are, I may be coaxed into waiting yet one more year for the new Tacoma once its oppsies/recalls have been corrected. 

One big point I've noticed is that it's more difficult to fall down the audio rabbit hole and the auto rabbit hole in the same year - though I may just do both this year. I am trying to make more money this year, so perhaps I'll succeed with both rabbit holes.

Unrelated to the pickup thread:

Last year, our son and daughter-in-law joined my wife and me for a two-week trip through Alaska. For transportation, I rented a Hyundai Pallisade using TURO. The rental process was very simple and we saved something like $4000!!! vs renting from the usual names. Both my son and I thoroughly enjoyed driving the Pallisade. If I were looking to buy a non-hybrid SUV, the Pallisade would be right at the top of the list with one or two other vehicles.

Anyone have new thoughts, or new vehicle purchases they'd like to share?
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2023, 04:31 pm by mresseguie »