Looking for smallest subwoofer possible.

Bsmooth

• Bruce or Bsmooth
Looking for smallest subwoofer possible.
« on: 12 Feb 2019, 04:47 pm »
I'm looking for a sub that will fit on a shelf about 8 inches deep about 10 high and maybe 9 or 10 wide. Just looking for a little low end for my Audioengine 5+. there pretty good but a little low end boost wouldn't hurt.
If you can think of something small let me know, not too expensive.

RDavidson

Re: Looking for smallest subwoofer possible.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2019, 05:53 pm »
For the life of me I can't think of the brand right now, but they make a little chip amp that has gotten good reviews as well as some attention here. They also make a very small subwoofer. It's on the tip of my tongue. Their name is something like TDI or TMI. I just can't put the pieces together in my brain right now. Someone here likely know what I'm talking about.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2019, 06:14 pm »
You don’t mention a price point. 

Totem Kin Mini sub is very small. 

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2019, 06:27 pm »
For the life of me I can't think of the brand right now, but they make a little chip amp that has gotten good reviews as well as some attention here. They also make a very small subwoofer. It's on the tip of my tongue. Their name is something like TDI or TMI. I just can't put the pieces together in my brain right now. Someone here likely know what I'm talking about.

You are thinking of TBI subwoofers, I have owned one for years and it is the most musical sub out there. If you want it for HT I recommend 2 of them.

http://tbisound.com/

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2019, 06:33 pm »
That's it! TBI. Thank you. It was driving me crazy. I was about search thru used audio listings to find the name / description. They are not inexpensive though. For some reason I thought they made a mini sub that was less expensive than what they show on the website. Then again...I couldn't think of the company name either, so I'm probably getting my wires crossed again.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2019, 06:41 pm »
PSB also makes a micro sub that looks very nice. Price is reasonable too.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/subwoofers/SubSeries-100-Subwoofer

cliffy

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2019, 06:42 pm »
Sunfire used to have a small subwoofer. You might find a used one online.

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2019, 07:08 pm »
If you are handy, Parts Express had the perfect project listed in this months catalog, it can be found here on line:  http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/uncategorized/the-micro-bass-book/

Best,
Ed

2oldcranks

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2019, 07:29 pm »
If you find a used pinnacle Baby Boomer in any of its versions they are a solid bet,Ive owned a couple over the years and used with dynaudio 52s and a few others.Nice little Bi polar sealed cube.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2019, 12:21 pm »
If you are handy, Parts Express had the perfect project listed in this months catalog, it can be found here on line:  http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/uncategorized/the-micro-bass-book/

Best,
Ed

Very intriguing design.  Wonder what the maximum output would be.  But F3 = 38 Hz isn't a subwoofer in my book.

Ah, the classic confrontation of physics versus wants in a subwoofer:  small, yet deep, yet inexpensive.  And I suppose you also want high output with good reliability, super nice veneer, and lots of connections/controls too. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2019, 01:51 pm »
Very intriguing design.  Wonder what the maximum output would be.  But F3 = 38 Hz isn't a subwoofer in my book.

Ah, the classic confrontation of physics versus wants in a subwoofer:  small, yet deep, yet inexpensive.  And I suppose you also want high output with good reliability, super nice veneer, and lots of connections/controls too.

Quite correct about the laws of physics.  If I'm not mistaken I believe the OP was only looking for a little bass reinforcement for bookshelf speakers, not a thunderous HT subwoofer.  I would think something like those mentioned might do it.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2019, 02:36 pm »
I'm looking for a sub that will fit on a shelf about 8 inches deep about 10 high and maybe 9 or 10 wide.

Here ya go...https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/rel/products/rel-t-zero-subwoofer

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2019, 03:00 pm »
Quite correct about the laws of physics.  If I'm not mistaken I believe the OP was only looking for a little bass reinforcement for bookshelf speakers, not a thunderous HT subwoofer.  I would think something like those mentioned might do it.

I don't think the OP is concerned with true bass as much as he is about filling in the mid bass a bit more, to get a bigger (fuller) overall presentation. Boosting frequencies around 60hz-80hz, assuming some boundary reinforcement may be the ticket that some of these really small "sub" woofers can provide.

Bsmooth

• Bruce or Bsmooth
« Reply #15 on: 13 Feb 2019, 04:31 pm »
The DIY looks like an interesting box design, but the output I have is for a powered sub. Your quite right I'm just looking for a bit of low end "fill" for my Audioengine 5+ speakers. There actually pretty good, but I still miss that bit of low end oomph.
 I'm only running a Dayton Sub on my AV receiver in my main listening area, which I wanted to eventually replace with a HSU STF-2, but I see that isn't made any longer, too bad.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2019, 11:10 am »
I'd be leery of no-name subs.  Most are one-note boom boxes, producing muddy sound that don't go deep. 

Again, the laws of physics (and economics) are hard to avoid.  Standard advice for quality inexpensive subs goes to SVS, Hsu, or Rythmik.

OzarkTom

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2019, 01:21 pm »
The Sunfire subwoofer Jr. is 9x9x9 inch and can be found on Ebay.