Captainhemo

Re: Wedgie Crossover
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2019, 09:15 pm »
Most  just  mount them to the top of the base behind the   lower  woofer

jay

mkane

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2019, 12:54 am »
 Interesting location. BTW, both Wedgies are glued and resting in a warm room. It's all I can do to not put the drivers/crossovers in and fire these up. Just too much to undo. Weather here is wet and damp. Not a good scenario fo epoxy finishing. I'll give one of the amp boxes a shot indoors and see if we can stand the odor.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2019, 01:11 am »
I'm assuming they  went together  well ?
Neiter  the amp boxes  nor the  Wedgie cabs  need much clamping  preasure, just enough to snug everything up  and   let the glue set off.

Enjoy man

jay

mkane

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2019, 01:51 am »
Without a hitch and I thank you. No seams here.

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2019, 03:06 am »
Yes,  they   were a  nice fit   when I assembled them on the bench before packing.   that  Medex won't  shrink/swell near as much as   MDF either.

Looks like  you did  a  great  job of glue up..... just  wait  till you  hear the imaging    :thumb:

Keep  us  posted

jay

mkane

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2019, 03:32 am »
 used lots of glue and it's a SOB to sand. resisting the urge to assemble these. the H frames stepped it up a notch for sure. Lp sound different in a way. 66-year-old ears sound young again

mkane

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2019, 03:18 pm »
 I have another question concerning the crossover network. After it's built I have 2 sets of + & - wires per set. Do I now tie these together and connect them to my amp? thanks

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2019, 03:36 pm »
Post a picture of what you are talking about. That way there willnot be any misunderstandings.
I think I understand what you are asking. If I’m correct the answer would be yes, both the positivewire from the woofer circuit and the positive fromthe tweeter circuit are twisted together and connected to a red female tube connectoe. The negative wires are treated the same except they are connected to a white female tube connector.

Mike

mkane

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2019, 03:59 pm »
  Thanks Mike. I'll do a mock up and post a pic.

mkane

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2019, 04:15 pm »
 Heres Danny's drawing. Is there a way to blend these together or do I built them separately

and tie + with + etc?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2019, 04:29 pm »
I meant a picture of your built crossover. If you run separate positive and negative wires for each circuit then what I siad about conecting them together is correct.

If you don’t mind, please delete the picture of the crossover schematic. Danny doesn’t mind us posting pictures of the laid out parts or crossover because parts values can’t be determined. The schematici is a different story. The values are shown. This information is his intellectual property.

Mike

mkane

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2019, 04:54 pm »
  Thanks Mike. I'll build up a crossover and post another pic, values down

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2019, 05:51 pm »
Heres Danny's drawing. Is there a way to blend these together or do I built them separately

and tie + with + etc?

If the right side is the input side then you have the tweeter circuit flipped.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2019, 06:56 pm »
Here are some pics of my Wedgie's crossover.

This ended up being a little long and extended over the back edge of the base.

Here is a more compact layout that does not stick out past the base

There are pictures of other Wedgie coroosver builds in other threads. Some folks made real slick crossovers by making the crossover board thick, routing out channels and doing the wiring on the underside.

Mike

mkane

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2019, 07:29 pm »
 Thanks for the pics i need a bigger piece of wood. hope this isn't too hard to follow. Why

do I have 3 inductors?

mkane

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2019, 07:30 pm »

mkane

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jan 2019, 07:31 pm »

mkane

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jan 2019, 07:32 pm »

Captainhemo

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jan 2019, 07:41 pm »
Yes,   the new   design  has  an updated netwrk so yo do have  2 inductors  in the  tweeter /high pass leg  and one inthe   low pass leg.
Values have changed   as well  so if yo see any in  the photos, don't  worry,  Danny  has sent you the updated   version

Also note,  when you physically connect the  + / - leads to the tweeter, they are conected out of phase ( pos wire to neg tweeter term, neg wire to pos  tweeter term)

jay