Wedgie Crossover

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Wedgie Crossover
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jan 2019, 07:48 pm »
I'm a diehard Jupiter copper fan.  There's a new cap that I'm finding just as good (maybe even better) for a lot less $$, the Miflex copper caps.  Sonic Craft carries them and so far they've been exceptional.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #41 on: 27 Jan 2019, 08:08 pm »
I'm a diehard Jupiter copper fan.  There's a new cap that I'm finding just as good (maybe even better) for a lot less $$, the Miflex copper caps.  Sonic Craft carries them and so far they've been exceptional.

Funny timing.  I just spotted those the other day and ordered a pair for HP filters for my amps.  $22/pr for copper caps is a steal!

mkane

« Reply #42 on: 27 Jan 2019, 08:43 pm »
  Turn down the bass. I switched the Erse cap back to the Sonic caps Danny sent and added a Jupiter Coppe r.022uf to the tweets. What an inadvertent Cap shootout. I can feel the bass, startling. Moved the dial to 50% and may go lower.

Rolling cap could cost more than tubes.

Tyson

« Reply #43 on: 27 Jan 2019, 09:02 pm »
  Turn down the bass. I switched the Erse cap back to the Sonic caps Danny sent and added a Jupiter Coppe r.022uf to the tweets. What an inadvertent Cap shootout. I can feel the bass, startling. Moved the dial to 50% and may go lower.

Rolling cap could cost more than tubes.

I rolled a bunch of caps (including getting 10uF Jupiters in my speakers), and IMO your cap combo right now is pretty close to ideal.  You will get a small improvement if you change out the main caps with full sized Jupiters like I did, but it's a pretty small jump. 

A bigger jump would be getting the paper/wax/copper foil inductors.  I've had great wire-wound inductors and great copper foil inductors, and the wax/paper/copper foil from Jantzen is the best sounding inductor out there IME.  I would spend money there rather than roll any more caps. 

mkane

« Reply #44 on: 27 Jan 2019, 09:16 pm »
were shopping

Tyson

« Reply #45 on: 27 Jan 2019, 09:34 pm »
I should point out that I'm a person that values tonal density above "speed" or ultimate transparency.  If you're more of a speed and transparency guy, then the teflon based bypass caps are a good choice.  Same with foil inductors - if you value air and speed, the inductors you have are fine. 

mkane

« Reply #46 on: 27 Jan 2019, 10:14 pm »
   Janzen wax/foil/paper are herd to find in the US of the correct values. Mundorf also makes inductors.

We do not listen to much rock anymore if that makes a difference. I guess you could say we like transparency/speed. No coloration. Strictly analog.

mkane

« Reply #47 on: 28 Jan 2019, 03:14 pm »
Janzen's ordered. The wait begins.

Tyson

« Reply #48 on: 28 Jan 2019, 06:15 pm »
Ever since I put in the Jantzen's into my speakers I've been thinking about why do they sound so good.  I really think it's got a lot to do with damping and vibration control.  Once you get them in hand, you'll see what I mean - they are like little hockey pucks, very stiff, very damped.  The other thing that is better is the dielectric.  Wax/paper just sounds better than plastic based dielectrics IME.  Even better than teflon.  No other inductor really does anything to address these areas like the Jantzen's do. 

Anyway, let us know what you think, once you get them.  When I special ordered mine, it' only took a couple weeks to get them in-hand.

mkane

« Reply #49 on: 28 Jan 2019, 10:19 pm »
Also going to buy new caps so I don't have to take apart the finished crossovers and I'll be able to do back to back shootout. I'll stick with Solens. Jupiter Copper are spendy in the values I need.

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 28 Jan 2019, 10:33 pm »
Also going to buy new caps so I don't have to take apart the finished crossovers and I'll be able to do back to back shootout. I'll stick with Solens. Jupiter Copper are spendy in the values I need.

The Sonicaps are a significant improvement over the Solen caps. And you already have them....

Tyson

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jan 2019, 10:40 pm »
I agree with Danny - Sonicaps are better than Solens.

mkane

« Reply #52 on: 28 Jan 2019, 10:55 pm »
  Sorry for the typo, I did mean Sonicaps

Tyson

« Reply #53 on: 28 Jan 2019, 11:37 pm »
Yeah, if you look at the 10uf cap, that's $500 per cap for a Jupiter copper cap.  So that's $1k for both speakers.  I actually did that with my speakers.  But, IMO it wasn't a huge jump over the Sonicap 10uf bypassed with a Jupiter copper .22uf.  Don't get me wrong, the big 10uf Jupiter sounds great, but probably not $1k great.

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 28 Jan 2019, 11:49 pm »
Yeah, if you look at the 10uf cap, that's $500 per cap for a Jupiter copper cap.  So that's $1k for both speakers.  I actually did that with my speakers.  But, IMO it wasn't a huge jump over the Sonicap 10uf bypassed with a Jupiter copper .22uf.  Don't get me wrong, the big 10uf Jupiter sounds great, but probably not $1k great.

I agree.

mkane

« Reply #55 on: 29 Jan 2019, 03:10 am »
  These speakers do deserve the best.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 31 Jan 2019, 05:54 pm »
I had originally decided to put Gen II by-pass caps in the woofer circuits of the tricked out X-LS Encore crossovers I'm building. Then I thought, "you will always wonder what you left on the table for the midrange if you do that, so go ahead and go with the Platinums". (I'm my own worst enemy at times  :icon_lol:).

I couldn't find 0.1uF Platinums so I was thinking about Jupiters. Then Tyson brought up the Miflexes so I looked them up. Based on what he had to say about them, and the fact they are 1/3 the price of the Jupiter ($19 vs $63), I decided to go with them. They showed up today. These things are HUGE!! Here is a pic of a 0.1uF Sonicap Gen II next to a 0.1uF Miflex KPCU (copper).

Another difference between them is their rating. The Sonicap is 200VDC while the Miflex is 600VDC.

Which brings up a question, is there a problem by-passing a 200VDC cap with a 600VDC cap? I wouldn't think there would be since the Platinums are 400VDC but thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Mike

Tyson

« Reply #57 on: 31 Jan 2019, 06:08 pm »
I had originally decided to put Gen II by-pass caps in the woofer circuits of the tricked out X-LS Encore crossovers I'm building. Then I thought, "you will always wonder what you left on the table for the midrange if you do that, so go ahead and go with the Platinums". (I'm my own worst enemy at times  :icon_lol:).

I couldn't find 0.1uF Platinums so I was thinking about Jupiters. Then Tyson brought up the Miflexes so I looked them up. Based on what he had to say about them, and the fact they are 1/3 the price of the Jupiter ($19 vs $63), I decided to go with them. They showed up today. These things are HUGE!! Here is a pic of a 0.1uF Sonicap Gen II next to a 0.1uF Miflex KPCU (copper).

Another difference between them is their rating. The Sonicap is 200VDC while the Miflex is 600VDC.

Which brings up a question, is there a problem by-passing a 200VDC cap with a 600VDC cap? I wouldn't think there would be since the Platinums are 400VDC but thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Mike

No problem using the higher rated cap.  They are just made out of more robust material (ie, thicker wires, etc...) in order to handle higher voltages.  But they are fine in a low voltage speaker setup.  "Overbuilt", in fact.  But then again, IMO, over-the-top is just about right :lol:

They will take a little while to burn in.  At first they will seem highly detailed and very awesome.  Then they go through this muted/dark phase and you're think "WTF is the problem, why did I spend extra $$ just to have a blanket thrown over my speakers?"  Push past that and you'll find that they are every bit as good as the Jupiters, in the end.

mkane

« Reply #58 on: 1 Feb 2019, 01:29 am »
 Ordered some myself.

Early B.

« Reply #59 on: 4 Feb 2019, 11:09 pm »

My 0.1uF Miflex caps arrived today. When you said they're HUGE, you weren't kidding. I just ordered Miflex KPAL 2.2uF caps, so I expect them to be ridiculously oversized.