What do you have the crossover set to?
TIA,
Steve

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #661 on: 27 Jun 2019, 05:44 pm »
Steve,

That is something else that will vary depending on the in-room response of the Neo-10s. It is probably going to be somewhere between 150-200Hz. This is another place REW comes in handy. You can visually see where the Neo-10s are 6dB down in your room then you can see what the subs are doing and adjust the crossover accordingly. Don't know about other folks but I can read a graph much more precisely than I can hear the crossover point.

REW is free and it's not hard to learn the basics. The only cost is a decent measurement mic, about $80. Just be sure to get a USB powered mic.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #662 on: 27 Jun 2019, 07:18 pm »
I will add that to cross in the 150 to 200Hz range that the position of the crossover dial might be in the 80 to 100Hz position.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #663 on: 28 Jun 2019, 07:07 pm »
What do you have the crossover set to?
TIA,
Steve

Both mine are set to around 95Hz, but as Danny writes above, the acoustical output goes up much further than that.. I have no high-pass filters on the MR drivers, but still they have VERY little output below 200Hz; if one has the woofer's filter point too low, the system will sound thin and, IMO, unattractive.

I still simply LOVE the sounds of my S7s--they're truly full-range, VERY clean, wonderfully rich and warm without ever sounding thick, and very spacious.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH Danny for creating this speaker system and TYVM Jeff Glowacki of Sonic Craft for recommending it years ago.. I still remember that trip back to Phoenix from Albuquerque in a storm that started out rain but turned into snow in northern AZ..

Have finally specified the new speaker cable to Sonic Craft; will be four conductors of 18g. Mundorf Silver/Gold and two of 23g. Neotec OCC-silver-in-Teflon.. Conductor lengths will be enough to run unbroken wire all the way to drivers, broken only as required by the X-over components.. I believe this will inspire me to finally rebuild the x-overs (again!) using mostly Miflex KPCU copperfoil/'propylene&paper/oil caps..  They're BIG!

Here's a pic of one of my latest Atma-Sphere MA-1 poweramps; I'm experimenting with using fewer tubes for summer, and they sound just fine with only three pairs of tubes..  Oh ya...I decided to keep these MA-1/3.1s instead of the M60/3.3s.

« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2019, 12:44 am by jeffreybehr »

bernardo

« Reply #664 on: 28 Jun 2019, 07:57 pm »
So jeffreybehr and SoCalWJS – do you mind stating what position you have set for the A370PEQ phase control?

Sounds like Mike and Jay are the only ones to have set this control correctly on the Super-7s.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #665 on: 28 Jun 2019, 09:12 pm »
So jeffreybehr and SoCalWJS – do you mind stating what position you have set for the A370PEQ phase control?

Sounds like Mike and Jay are the only ones to have set this control correctly on the Super-7s.
I've been all over the place - 0, 90, 180, & places in between. Not completely thrilled with any of them. I have a problematic ("compromise") setup in my house. Not a dedicated 2 channel room - far more focused on Home Theater - I can get away with that. WAF. She loves TV as much as I do and wants to listen to good sound while watching. So I'll just go out on a limb and say that having a 60" Plasma smack dab in the middle of the speakers (on a rack/equipment stand, albeit low) is a hard obstacle to overcome.

I have a multitude of room treatments and move them around any time I have a new "Theory" on what will help the most. I'll pull out the OmniMic & REW next week and play around again, but it's tough to overcome a major issue I have. Maybe I can take some pictures to try to show what I am trying to deal with (besides the TV) when I'm taking measurements.

What I am happy with is the depth IN FRONT of the speakers, but I have little/no depth behind........yeah, the TV. Thing weighs 100+ pounds, so I can't just lift it off the mount in order to listen.  :banghead:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #666 on: 28 Jun 2019, 09:16 pm »
I've been all over the place - 0, 90, 180, & places in between. Not completely thrilled with any of them. I have a problematic ("compromise") setup in my house. Not a dedicated 2 channel room - far more focused on Home Theater - I can get away with that. WAF. She loves TV as much as I do and wants to listen to good sound while watching. So I'll just go out on a limb and say that having a 60" Plasma smack dab in the middle of the speakers (on a rack/equipment stand, albeit low) is a hard obstacle to overcome.

I have a multitude of room treatments and move them around any time I have a new "Theory" on what will help the most. I'll pull out the OmniMic & REW next week and play around again, but it's tough to overcome a major issue I have. Maybe I can take some pictures to try to show what I am trying to deal with (besides the TV) when I'm taking measurements.

What I am happy with is the depth IN FRONT of the speakers, but I have little/no depth behind........yeah, the TV. Thing weighs 100+ pounds, so I can't just lift it off the mount in order to listen.  :banghead:

I'd recommend getting an Epson 5040 projector, it does UHD and 4k and can mount on the ceiling or a on a shelf on a wall.  Image wise, it's AWESOME to have a 100 inch screen.  Acoustically it's even BETTER because you get rid of the glass on the wall and when you're not using the screen, it rolls up out of the way. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #667 on: 28 Jun 2019, 09:35 pm »
I'd recommend getting an Epson 5040 projector, it does UHD and 4k and can mount on the ceiling or a on a shelf on a wall.  Image wise, it's AWESOME to have a 100 inch screen.  Acoustically it's even BETTER because you get rid of the glass on the wall and when you're not using the screen, it rolls up out of the way.
I actually have an older 1080p projector (and an even older 720p). Also problematic - how to mount? Again, I'll try to get photos at some point. Basically the mount would put it in the middle of "The Great Room" and would be a PITA to mount (certainly stuff that I don't want to do myself). No provisions for power or cable there. Basically, the room was designed for everything to be put in one way. Prewired for speakers. Power to a ceiling mount. Fairly easy for everything. Problem is I put the stereo in and listened to it. It was BAD. Adjusted everything. Not any better. Wife readily agreed to spin everything 90 degrees. MUCH better, but have to overcome a "built-in" shelf/entertainment "alcove" on one side.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #668 on: 28 Jun 2019, 10:26 pm »

Oh really?

Mine are at zero.

Early B.

« Reply #669 on: 28 Jun 2019, 10:33 pm »

Have finally specified the new speaker cable to Sonic Craft; will be four conductors of 18g. Mundorf Silver/Gold and two of 23g. Neotec OCC-silver-in-Teflon.. Conductor lengths will be enough to run unbroken wire all the way to drivers, unbroken only as required by the X-over components.. I believe this will inspire me to finally rebuild the x-overs (again!) using mostly Miflex KPCU copperfoil/'propylene&paper/oil caps..  They're BIG!

Looking forward to your build thread for the crossover re-build.

Tyson

« Reply #670 on: 29 Jun 2019, 04:16 am »
I actually have an older 1080p projector (and an even older 720p). Also problematic - how to mount? Again, I'll try to get photos at some point. Basically the mount would put it in the middle of "The Great Room" and would be a PITA to mount (certainly stuff that I don't want to do myself). No provisions for power or cable there. Basically, the room was designed for everything to be put in one way. Prewired for speakers. Power to a ceiling mount. Fairly easy for everything. Problem is I put the stereo in and listened to it. It was BAD. Adjusted everything. Not any better. Wife readily agreed to spin everything 90 degrees. MUCH better, but have to overcome a "built-in" shelf/entertainment "alcove" on one side.

You can get one that does HDMI via Wifi so you only need to plug in for power.  I think it's the 5040UB model if I'm not mistaken.  Just put a shelf on the wall at the back of the room (if you can) and put the projector on the shelf.  Doesn't need to be ceiling mounted. 

bernardo

« Reply #671 on: 29 Jun 2019, 04:06 pm »
jeffreybehr-
Your response suggests that you have your Delay/Phase control set correctly – how did you determine the 0 setting is best?

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #672 on: 29 Jun 2019, 10:26 pm »
jeffreybehr-
Your response suggests that you have your Delay/Phase control set correctly – how did you determine the 0 setting is best?

I use a phonic PAA2 Personal Audio Assistant which is, among other things, a third-octave real-time analyzer..
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/phonic-paa2

I determined that when driven with broad-band pinknoise, the overall output in the perhaps-three octaves of upper-bass/lower-MR was lower in energy at ANY phase setting other than Zero.. This analyzer also allows me to set the woofer LP-filter point to the right frequency and the woofer level to the right point.. I wouldn't be without it.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #673 on: 29 Jun 2019, 11:41 pm »
You can get one that does HDMI via Wifi so you only need to plug in for power.  I think it's the 5040UB model if I'm not mistaken.  Just put a shelf on the wall at the back of the room (if you can) and put the projector on the shelf.  Doesn't need to be ceiling mounted.
Mmmmmmm.....no can do. The "rear wall" is 35+ feet from the location the screen would likely be, and is the kitchen which is a wall of cupboards - no shelves.

(also part of my acoustical issues - the volume of space I am trying to fill is enormous - not all of it is listening area. Speakers are about 8 feet apart and 10 feet from the primary listening position, but I have a 20' x 30' space behind [with 10' ceilings])

**forgive the image quality - had to improvise**

In the image above, the space I use is described as the "Great Room". You can see that there is a "Media Niche" along the left wall. The original plan was to put all the equipment in that space with speakers to either side. It sounded like cr@p! I got to rotate everything 90 degrees and the speakers and TV are along the wall at the top of the image. The "Great Room" is about 15 1/2 feet across (plus the "Media Niche" - almost 2 feet deep), but the open space behind my chair is very large. Many problems, but ones that I can deal with better, just does mot lend itself to a projector.

Tyson

« Reply #674 on: 30 Jun 2019, 05:09 am »
Mmmmmmm.....no can do. The "rear wall" is 35+ feet from the location the screen would likely be, and is the kitchen which is a wall of cupboards - no shelves.

(also part of my acoustical issues - the volume of space I am trying to fill is enormous - not all of it is listening area. Speakers are about 8 feet apart and 10 feet from the primary listening position, but I have a 20' x 30' space behind [with 10' ceilings])

**forgive the image quality - had to improvise**

In the image above, the space I use is described as the "Great Room". You can see that there is a "Media Niche" along the left wall. The original plan was to put all the equipment in that space with speakers to either side. It sounded like cr@p! I got to rotate everything 90 degrees and the speakers and TV are along the wall at the top of the image. The "Great Room" is about 15 1/2 feet across (plus the "Media Niche" - almost 2 feet deep), but the open space behind my chair is very large. Many problems, but ones that I can deal with better, just does mot lend itself to a projector.

Tough room.  If it were me I'd put the projector on the ceiling, even if i had to pay someone to do it.  Getting rid of the TV would be a bigger upgrade, acoustically, than a new DAC or Power amp or very nice cable would be.  Of course the WAF on that might be very low, although that's something I personally no longer have to worry about (#silverlinigs).

soundofrockets

« Reply #675 on: 30 Jun 2019, 07:13 am »
The exact suggestion by me to him - but keep the wife as well!!!

Ceiling mounted projector in its own enclosure that retracts into the attic when not in use.

RoadTripper

« Reply #676 on: 30 Jun 2019, 10:50 am »
Short throw projector?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #677 on: 30 Jun 2019, 05:50 pm »
Short throw projector?
I've seen the "Super Short throw" ones and I'm keeping an eye on them. Very specific placement requirements though.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #678 on: 30 Jun 2019, 06:34 pm »
Tough room.

I would want to try putting the speakers on the south end of the great room where the two chairs are.

Rocket Ronny

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #679 on: 30 Jun 2019, 11:45 pm »
Come on guys--SIX consecutive off-topic posts.  PLEASE go talk in a projector forum.