Anyone using a Modwright SWL9.0SE/CI Audio D200 Combo?

tvad4

Interested in comments regarding sonic characteristics and related system components from anyone using the Modwright/CI Audio combo.

StevenACNJ

« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2005, 11:17 am »
Here is what Dan himself had to say:

"These REALLY are KILLER guys! I have been running mine for about a week now and I have to say that they are easily the best amps that I have ever owned. I haven't had EVERYTHING obviously, but below is a list of amps that I have owned or heard in my system:

Atma-Sphere M60 MKII OTL's.
Sim Audio W-3
Bryston (friends amp, not sure of model)
Threshold Class A (Ditto above)
Jolida 302b
Channel Islands Audio D-100 (Close second to D-200)

The Atma-Sphere OTL's were magical in many ways, but without autoformers or a speaker that is ideally matched to them, they lack bass and detail to my ears.

The Sim Audio was exceptional in all regards, but simply can't hold a candle to the D-200 in terms of power, speaker handling, musicality, etc. The rest of the SS amps that I owned or auditioned simply sounded too sterile, cold or hard to me. The D-100 monoblocks are also exceptiona, but the extra 100W of the D-200's and some differences in design I believe, simply make them a slightly better overall performer. As would be expected, given their higher price point, etc.

I just highly recommend these and have found them to be the perfect match for our preamp.

I don't represent Dusty's products as a dealer and we are not offering mods for these amps. They are simply exceptional just the way they are!

Dan Wright"

Pretty strong indorsement!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Anyone using a Modwright SWL9.0SE/CI Audio D200 Combo?
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2005, 11:23 am »
Quote from: tvad4
Interested in comments regarding sonic characteristics and related system components from anyone using the Modwright/CI Audio combo.
I got to hear this combo at the last RMAF...sounded excellent to my ears. I see you own a 9.0....what amp are you using now ? :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2005, 12:17 pm »
I also heard this combo at RMAF and was quite impressed.

You could do far worse for a lot MORE money than this combo.

George