quality balance control

Catcherfly

quality balance control
« on: 28 Nov 2023, 08:16 pm »
Hi,
I'm new to this forum.
I have a Sunvalley SV-Pre1616D preamp that I'd like to upgrade the level and balance controls on. With a stereo volume attenuator, is there a quality balance control out there? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

newzooreview

Re: quality balance control
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2023, 10:48 pm »
Is this the preamp?

And you are looking for a drop-in volume control and balance control to fit in the current interior?

I'm just clarifying since the available space and wiring into the circuit might effect suggestions.

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2023, 10:50 pm »
Have the existing stepped volume attenuator and balance control failed, or is the goal to improve the sound?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2023, 01:09 am »
Interesting question. I recently built a Bottlehead Moreplay pre and used an Alps Blue Velvet pot for volume control. If I would've known of a high quality balance control, I would've used one.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2023, 01:47 am »
IMO the best solution on the Balance pot is remove it from the circuit and dont use balance, the Volume control make sense to use a better part, in the past I had used Khozmo 100Klog 48steps:
https://khozmo.com/
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2023, 06:10 am by FullRangeMan »

Catcherfly

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2023, 04:17 am »
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes, that’s the preamp, and I would want to use the existing cutouts. And the objective is to improve the sound. I have an Elekit TU-8600s amp, and the Sunvalley preamp degrades the sound (particularly in the high frequencies). I’m trying some new tubes (switching out 12ax7 to 12au7) and want to also upgrade the controls and see what that all does.
I had a Hattor (Khozmo) passive preamp and a Tortuga tube preamp buffer and both the Hattor and Tortuga had problems from the start. I did, however, like the Khozmo duel mono attenuators.
I emailed with Gold Point about an input selector and a volume attenuator. I heard back from a guy named Arn and he also thought two mono attenuators (left where balance knob is and right where volume knob is) were the way to go. My hesitation with this is, one, my wife and kids use the system and it’s already complicated. And two, I worry I’ll have a hard time getting the balance even with two clockhand lines
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2023, 01:36 pm by Catcherfly »