Recommendations on oscillating multi-tool ?

Don_S

Re: Recommendations on oscillating multi-tool ?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Aug 2016, 02:55 pm »
  ArthurDent:

What ever woodworking tool you buy I highly recommend The Porter Cable brand.
   I've been using them since the mid 1970's and they have been very reliable.
   None better as far as i'm concerned.

Cheers
                                                             Charlie

Charlie,  I hope you are right about Porter Cable.  Yesterday I ordered a PC 7-amp angle grinder/cutoff tool (PC60TPAG).  It was priced right for the limited use I need it for.  The big selling point was the inclusion of a cutting guard and a grinding guard.  I will probably never use it as an angle grinder but I have definite need for a cutoff tool and all of my body parts.  It is a shame most manufacturers only include a grinding guard and not a cutting guard.

Regarding Harbor Freight.  I bought an inexpensive cutout tool there and it paid for itself on the first tough job I did with it. I had to cut out a kitchen counter for a new stove.  3/4" plywood + cement board + ceramic tile.  I use tile bits to cut the cement board and tile.  Then I chased it with a wood bit.  Actually I chased it with a couple of wood bits.  I think my cost for bits about equaled the cost of the tool. Since then I have used it for a couple of smaller, less challenging projects.

On the other hand, a 1/2HP sump (not a Harbor Freight brand) I bought there froze up in storage after some hard work pumping out my swimming pool a couple of times.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 17 Aug 2016, 04:18 pm »
Thanks Charlie, Greg. Had forgotten about Harbor Freight. iirc they are actually a local op, headquarters situated on Harbor Island in Seattle. Pretty sure there's a store close enough to physically check out the units they have. As some have noted, this will be for limited use overall, anything it does beyond my specific project is a bonus, and I don't expect it (or me) to be around 40 years from now like my 1 ton Sears hydraulic floor jack, and S&K socket set.   :thumb:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #22 on: 17 Aug 2016, 05:02 pm »
Thanks Charlie, Greg. Had forgotten about Harbor Freight. iirc they are actually a local op, headquarters situated on Harbor Island in Seattle. Pretty sure there's a store close enough to physically check out the units they have. As some have noted, this will be for limited use overall, anything it does beyond my specific project is a bonus, and I don't expect it (or me) to be around 40 years from now like my 1 ton Sears hydraulic floor jack, and S&K socket set.   :thumb:

Author, There is a store at the bottom of the Michigan St. off ramp and also one just off of 520 East of 405. There are others as well depending on where you live. 

ArthurDent

« Reply #23 on: 17 Aug 2016, 05:09 pm »
Author, There is a store at the bottom of the Michigan St. off ramp and also one just off of 520 East of 405. There are others as well depending on where you live.

Seems to me there's one just off 18 in Auburn as well. A little checking will confirm.  8)

Don_S

« Reply #24 on: 17 Aug 2016, 05:16 pm »
Seems to me there's one just off 18 in Auburn as well. A little checking will confirm.  8)

Arthur,  If you have never been in an HF store prepare for an olfactory treat.  :lol:

ArthurDent

« Reply #25 on: 17 Aug 2016, 05:30 pm »
Arthur,  If you have never been in an HF store prepare for an olfactory treat.  :lol:

Thanks Don, will keep that in mind.   :lol:  Maybe one of those pine tree car fresheners around the neck is called for.  :wink:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #26 on: 18 Aug 2016, 04:48 am »
The Harbor Freight tool is an absolute steel for how well it works and you can get it on sale for cheap. I have tried 2 corded units, one is the Harbor Freight and I believe the other was a Dewalt, not sure but I liked the Harbor Freight better. I also own a cordless Rigid and would not buy another cordless if they are anything like the Rigid, just not enough power. I know a contractor and all of his crew have the Harbor Freight on their trucks, he swears by them and when they die he just buys another one. I own 2 for two houses and they work really well for all kinds of projects. I was sceptical until I tried one as I don't normally buy tools at Harbor Freight since so many are junk. The blades also cost much less than the name brands and are interchangeable, but they wear out pretty fast with heavy use.

gregfisk:

It is steal not steel!!!

Cheers
                                                             Charlie

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #27 on: 18 Aug 2016, 05:13 am »
  gregfisk:

It is steal not steel!!!

Cheers
                                                             Charlie

Well yes Charley,

thank you for pointing that out. I believe I was heading to an appointment and was late, and perhaps just trying to help out.

It wouldn't be the first time!