Wharfedale Evo 4.2 "more treble" mod

Xavier54

Wharfedale Evo 4.2 "more treble" mod
« on: 26 Aug 2023, 08:36 pm »
WARNING AND DISCLAIMER: This will invalidate your warranty. Also, I am not an engineer and I decline any responsability if any speaker ends up messed up :).

I purchased the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 a while ago , and while I am happy, they tend to sound a bit darker than I'd like to. Not too much, but just enoughthat I'm reaching the eq to push 2 dB up on some records.

After much looking around and not finding anything, today I decided to take a speaker apart in order to trace the crossover schematic, which I did
, I'm just not sure if it's ok to post it.

Also, for anyone in the same situation (speaker is ok but treble is way too concealed / laid back / muffled):

- The sandcast resistor on the top left corner (12 ohm) , just by the blue 32 uF electro and 6,8 uF Poly caps:  Changing the value will directly impact the output of the AMT tweeter. Reducing the value at around 8 ohm will add the extra 1,5-2 dB that it needs . It can be more, it can be less, but removing the resistor altogether is NOT an option, as you could blow the tweeter.

Alternatively, there would be a way to mod it without removing any component..... Soldering a 25 ohm to 30 ohm in parallel to mentioned 12 ohm resistor would achieve the same effect...... you could even take a couple of alligator clips and try different values. This is what I did...... I just attached 2 wires with 2 alligator clips through the bass reflex bottom cavity, so I can check different resistors for a few days , to see which one I will use, they I will solder to the board.

Access to the crossover board is done by removing the woofer.....you have to remove the rubber gasket first, then the speaker, then 2 fiber pads (all of this very carefully), and finally you'll see the crossover, which is held in place using 4 screws.

Hope it's of anyones's interest............. I just can't help opening things up and see what's inside :)