Gear Submerged in Sewage Back Up from Ida

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Gear Submerged in Sewage Back Up from Ida
« on: 5 Sep 2021, 02:32 pm »
  Yup it happened. Amps, power Conditioners, Cables, LPs CDs. Other gear partially affected. Was thinking I can open the electronics and clean with alcohol or ?? Any suggestions or am I pissing in the wind trying to restore the electronics ?

charles

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Gear Submerged in Sewage Back Up from Ida
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2021, 03:08 pm »
Better to file a homeowner's insurance claim.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2021, 03:19 pm »
Agree with the above for sure.  Don't know if this helps as well - https://restorationmasterfinder.com/restoration/how-to-clean-sewage-backup/    The only back-up I've ever dealt with was in a basement bathroom and mainly in the shower pan (and a drop on the tile floor) and that was a heavy dose of bleach.  At the time, I was having my master bath remodeled (I ripped up the old stuff including the tile but the tile work I wanted was a bit too intricate for my skills).  The master bath was on the other side of the house (from the basement bathroom I cleaned) and a floor up and not all that close to the door to the basement and the guy remodeling could hardly take the bleach fumes (in the master bath) after I was done and couldn't believe I actually survived it.  I just wanted it done as it was mainly confined to the shower pan.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2021, 03:42 pm »
Sorry to hear that one.
I'd do both: try and clean up AND file a claim.
I have to ask, any Schiit gear involved?

RPM123

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2021, 04:26 pm »
Sorry about your misfortune! Anything affected by raw sewage would first need to be disinfected with a bleach solution and would involve getting everything wet again. A huge undertaking! Hopefully you have a good homeowners policy since I believe that you could declare a total loss. Pictures would help filing your claim. Good luck!

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2021, 04:52 pm »
Not exactly the same but computers are a lot more sensitive than audio gear

Cleaning mineral oil off components
https://www.overclock.net/threads/cleaning-mineral-oil-off-components.1077586/

Polywater
- available as a spray and 1 gallon, 5 gallon and 55 gallon drums
https://www.polywater.com/

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2021, 05:07 pm »
Oh crap! I am so sorry this happened.

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2021, 05:43 pm »
We need more information. Insurance may not cover anything or be limited. Storms, flooding, and sewer backup have different coverage. Getting new gear is obviously the best option but that may not be covered by insurance.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2021, 06:17 pm »
Many, many homeowners policies don't cover sewage backup and or storm damage like you all just went through. I hope you're covered for this and whatever damage your house suffered.

I know it sounds crazy but there's a guy on the YouTube who power washes equipment. If it wasn't turned on at the time and you were going to take a hit I'd probably start removing lids and washing them our. Final rinse with distilled water and immediately dry with whatever means you have available. Compressed air, low temperature oven, dehumidified room, paper towels....

Good luck.

Mathew_M

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2021, 06:31 pm »
I have to ask, any Schiit gear involved?

I see what you did there and it wasn’t funny.  :nono:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2021, 06:52 pm »
I see what you did there and it wasn’t funny.  :nono:

Actually it was Funny!

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2021, 12:17 am »
I'm sure the OP is pretty stressed out with all this. But at the end of the day it's just stuff. Stuff can be fixed or replaced (usually). And who knows? Sometimes an unplanned restart isn't a bad thing despite how much it stinks (literally) at the moment. Some light hearted humor can help keep things in perspective. :thumb:

Anyway...hope you get things sorted out quickly Rollo.

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 6 Sep 2021, 01:15 am »
Sorry to hear Charles. I had something similar happen to me many years ago, lost all my gear and LP's. Our homeowner's insurance was fantastic, covered all of it once I explained the value of some of the LP's. Unfortunately, if the jackets were damaged, they declared them lost, and sent them to salvage, so I had to replace all of them over time ~2 years to even get close to what back I had. I just kept turning new batches in as claims and they'd cut me another check.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #13 on: 6 Sep 2021, 03:01 am »
Oh man, sorry to hear this. My experience with things exposed to sewage is to consider it a total loss. The internal corrosion over time is inevitable.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 6 Sep 2021, 10:51 am »
Terribly sorry to hear this, awful when bad things happen to good people.  Is this inventory or your personal system?  That would of course make a big difference in the insurance claim.  And yes, many homeowners policies don't include flooding unless you have flood insurance, mine doesn't.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2021, 11:39 am »
Sorry to hear about that Charles...I called up on a lot of folks once I heard the devastation that wrecked Long Island, Queens, and parts of NJ. Knowing that you are in the audio business makes it twice as bad! I would go with a home insurance claim (hopefully you have flood insurance) before trying to restore anything particularly if you don't have the proper test equipment, etc...

Best,
Anand.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #16 on: 6 Sep 2021, 12:24 pm »
I'm pretty sure the insurance company will scrap it.
If they don't I would take it outside, clean it up (vinegar, baking soda, isoropyl alcohol), sell the chassis and hardware and junk the actual electronics.
Wear gloves, god knows what's in the sewage.

jmolsberg

« Reply #17 on: 6 Sep 2021, 02:23 pm »
sorry charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 6 Sep 2021, 03:26 pm »
Terribly sorry to hear this, awful when bad things happen to good people.  Is this inventory or your personal system?  That would of course make a big difference in the insurance claim.  And yes, many homeowners policies don't include flooding unless you have flood insurance, mine doesn't.

Personal system and a few pieces I sell. Lost Pipedreams, Rethm Saadhana and Snell speakers. Audio Note, AR, Alan Eaton, Carey Arion and Audio Hungary amps lost. All cables as well. Power conditioning pieces A real nosebleed Thanks for the kind words and support. Means a lot to me personally.
  Not a flood a sewage back up from City sewers. We have that coverage thank goodness.

charles

Don_S

« Reply #19 on: 6 Sep 2021, 03:43 pm »
Charles,

Sorry for your troubles. Sad that some items like Pipedreams cannot be replaced. But at least you can go shopping for new toys.

I had most of my audio equipment stolen many years ago. After the initial shock I used it an opportunity to upgrade. Of course with sewage backup you have more to deal with than audio equipment. Make lemonade.