Resistors for Cornet?

penance

Resistors for Cornet?
« on: 27 Nov 2003, 09:51 am »
I want to change from the standard resistors to some precision types.
I have heard that if i use exclusively Holco it may sound soft, any one confirm that?
What other types have people had good experiance with?

Wayne1

Resistors for Cornet?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2003, 05:23 pm »
The Holco resistors have changed from a couple of years ago. HOLCO is now selling the same resistor but with MAGNETIC (Steel) end caps.  Welborne Labs has a few of the old stock on hand in very limited values.

The Vishay/Dale 1 watt are non-magnetic contruction metal film at only $0.20 each and are very good sounding. They are rated at 300 volts, so take a look where you are going to use them. They should be fine in the RIAA section.

I used all Riken-Ohm 1 watt resistors in my Cornet. They have a wonderful full sound but are NOT soft in the least. They ARE expensive at $3.00 each. There is no noise at all from using these carbon film types.

You can also look at the Caddock MK 132 precision metal films for the RIAA. They are even more expensive at $4.00- $7.00 each ,depending on value, and will be a little difficult to fit in the hole spacing.

penance

Resistors for Cornet?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2003, 05:28 pm »
Thanks
looks like ill be ordering from the states, UK is hard to find poarts like these

Can i ask where you obtained the rikens from?

Wayne1

Resistors for Cornet?
« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2003, 06:55 pm »
I ordered most of the "Audiophile" grade parts I used in the Cornet from PartsConnexion in Canada.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/resistors.html

penance

Resistors for Cornet?
« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2003, 07:29 pm »
thanks  :D

did you use mills for the values not available in rikens?

Wayne1

Resistors for Cornet?
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2003, 10:42 pm »
AudioNote Tantalum resistors, at 1 watt, should be available in the values that Parts Connexion does not have the Riken-Ohms.

Holcos are also available, as are the Vishay-Dales. For just the two or three values, the Holcos should be okay.

The Riken-Ohms are larger than the Xicon metal oxide resistors, that the board is built for. It is a VERY tight fit to get them all in there.

I did use Mills for R22. I used the spec'ed Xicon for R21. The quality of the resistor is not important for the filament supply. The value is. I also used the constant current source with a Xicon in place of R 18.

penance

Resistors for Cornet?
« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2003, 07:43 am »
Wayne,
big thanks for the help.
Hopeing to order this week, ill let you know how it goes.
Thanks again :)

Andy