Hestia OB, an ambitious low cost, 3-way OB design

matevana

Re: Hestia OB, an ambitious low cost, 3-way OB design
« Reply #240 on: 9 Dec 2014, 02:36 pm »
Excellent!  It's funny how so many original Hestia builds are taking place now.  If I could only get someone to try a V!   :D

newbie7800

« Reply #241 on: 9 Dec 2014, 05:23 pm »
Well not quite original ;-)...you got me on page 2 or 3 of the thread onto the idea of using the Xt19...so I am building one of your modified babies :-)  with your suggested amended crossover changes.  Let us see how the XT19 ends up sounding. 

Just before Christmas I should get the 1 day space I need to finish the project and if the thing works then pics will be on the way :-).  I really can't wait to hear the OB sound for the first time!!!!  Assuming I did not screw up the crossover wiring ;-).

matevana

« Reply #242 on: 9 Dec 2014, 08:37 pm »
A really quick way to test your crossover w/o fear of harming the XT19 would be to use the same MCM woofer to test the low side and the high side of the crossover independently. When hooked to the high side you should hear a complete absence of bass. If you hear either full range or low frequencies only, something is wired incorrectly.  If all is good, you can then safely substitute the XT19.   

newbie7800

« Reply #243 on: 10 Dec 2014, 06:06 am »
Thanks for the tip, will do.

brad944911

« Reply #244 on: 10 Dec 2014, 06:30 pm »
Hey Ed,
I gotta say a big thanks to you for thinking of this little system, putting in the time to test/refine it and then putting out all the info.  Kudos my friend!!!
I started burning in my drivers last nite (triamped since I haven't finished the crossovers) and so far I like what I hear.  I played one channel with my MG 1.6Q/R Maggies and the other with my version of the Hestias and while the clarity wasn't quite there (due mostly to drivers not yet being broken in I'm sure) compared to the Maggies, the weight and overall experience/sound was SUPER promising...and at 1/10th the price!!  :thumb: I enjoyed the dipole nature of the sound and the apparent ease of low-mid range reproduction.  I can't wait to hear them after 100 or so hours.
I'll be away for a while...actually in your neck o' the woods, but will post pics of progress and the final products.  Ya gotta be one proud papa!
Take care,
Brad
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2014, 08:57 pm by brad944911 »

matevana

« Reply #245 on: 12 Dec 2014, 12:14 pm »
Brad,

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you like what you hear. They will only get better over time, and like the Maggies, you will find that every small change you might make will affect them... and hopefully in a positive way!

If you are going to be anywhere near South Florida (I'm between Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach) let me know... I would be glad to demo the Hestia V's and the Hestia V Domes for you!

Keep us posted.

Ed

brad944911

« Reply #246 on: 15 Dec 2014, 05:42 pm »
Ed,
  I was right there at The Breakers for a holiday party and visiting friends...wish I woulda looked at the forum!  :roll:
  Anyway, I got back Sat and spent several hours tweaking and got them sounding pretty good!  I did end up making a few changes though.  I low passed the 12" sealed subs (my version) thru their plate amp at 90Hz, the MCM 10" "bass helper" ended up band passed from 50-250Hz via the amp DSP and the MCM/Vifa combo hi passed from 325Hz out via the amp DSP; employing the passive W/T network of course.  All said n done, there it is!  The "oomph" from dynamics that I wanted with an overall smooth sounding response.  My wife actually commented (unprovoked) that they sounded more full and realistic to her than the Maggies...more like live music.  The unbiased ear is always a good litmus test  :thumb:  On that note, anyone want some MG1.6Q/R's and MGMC1's?
  I've been out of DIY for a while and have missed it!  This has been a great experience.  Now to find a paint n body shop to spray these for me and I'm DONE....well at least til next time! Thinkin a center channel may be due.  :green:  I'll stick up some progress pics soon.
Brad

matevana

« Reply #247 on: 15 Dec 2014, 10:49 pm »
Good go'in Brad!  Yes, please post pics when you can. I wish I could agree with you that after paint you're DONE. It's been my experience that this is where the obsession truly begins. In fact, I'd like to coin the phrase that one good OB session = OBsession, lol.  I'm considering selling a kidney to fund my next project. I may even call it "OBsession".  :o   

brad944911

« Reply #248 on: 23 Dec 2014, 06:42 pm »
Yea, being done is a dream...that order will be delivered by a unicorn riding leprechaun!  :wink:  OBsession would be a great name for an all out speaker, Ed.  Great idea!
So I finally got the project up and running (not done, right Ed) and am enjoying it a lot!  My 16 year old son was listening with me as we compared these with the 1.6's (still for sale BTW) and he liked them a lot more.  We auditioned several discs and DVD's.  Now bear in mind I know 16 year old ears are not truly qualified to judge, but it was a good bonding moment and experience as he has been helping me out.  I did make a few mistakes painting them that I will address next year, but for now, I'm ready to get fat and listen to these things...it's the holidays!!  :green:  Anyway here are a few pics. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays you guys!!

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #249 on: 23 Dec 2014, 07:06 pm »
Nice ...! :thumb:

OB_Newbie

« Reply #250 on: 23 Dec 2014, 08:22 pm »
Nice job Brad!  They look fantastic!!!

matevana

« Reply #251 on: 23 Dec 2014, 10:13 pm »
Sweet!   :D

piazzafatb

« Reply #252 on: 24 Dec 2014, 11:44 pm »
Happy holidays !!!

First listening. Ummmmm...
Thanks Matevana.
Thanks Newbie

Unfinished but playing, Santa cant wait...

piazzafatb

« Reply #253 on: 25 Dec 2014, 12:04 am »

matevana

« Reply #254 on: 25 Dec 2014, 12:58 am »
Very cool!  Really like the way the design came together. Is that 1" MDF? What are you using for speaker wire?

motosapien

« Reply #255 on: 25 Dec 2014, 03:29 pm »
What a beautiful,  modern look!  Very nice work.

piazzafatb

« Reply #256 on: 25 Dec 2014, 03:37 pm »
Very cool!  Really like the way the design came together. Is that 1" MDF? What are you using for speaker wire?

Hi Matevana.
Wood is Virola panel 5/8  (sandwich 2 gave me almost 1 1/4 thick)
Cables are Cat 5 with snake oil fermented :green:
Not finished, maybe white Duratex.
Cross are going to be concealed.
First OB design listening. They are very open...
Would give my review in a few weeks, so far, are goooooood.
Matevana thanks for sharing this desing... :thumb:

OB_Newbie

« Reply #257 on: 25 Dec 2014, 06:44 pm »
Javi!!!   Awesome man... well done!   White duratex would look flippin' fantastic!  Can't wait to see them finished.. looking forward!

Happy holidays to all!

newbie7800

« Reply #258 on: 29 Dec 2014, 04:51 pm »
Dear Matevana, Dear Hestia OB owners

Well I finished the build but I think without success.  Being so sure I had wired the Crossover correctly (for the XT19) I plugged everything in and off I went (sorry should have slowed down).  Anyway the sound was not too bad but the Xt19 have what sounds like distortion after a certain volume level. 

I studied the various crossover postings numerous times before building the cross over but my complete lack of electronics knowledge is probably getting in my way.  I have attached some pictures to see if anyone can help.  Because of C1 and L1 in Matevana's design being for the MCM driver I thought that the plus connection labelled +T must be for the MCM and that the +W must be for the XT19.  L2 and C2 are soldered to the +W connection (being 0.70 coil and a 12UF cap for C2).

I am lost as to what I have done wrong.  Any help to make my Christmas better would be great.  I have waited 2 years for this moment and now feel a bit deflated.  I hope I have not ruined the Xt19s in the process but luckily they are not too expensive if I have.

Thanks in advance for your collective help!!!

newbie7800

newbie7800

« Reply #259 on: 29 Dec 2014, 05:11 pm »
If I have wired the crossover correctly, which I am starting to doubt, I wonder if this article might explain my issue with the XT19.

http://www.rjbaudio.com/Audiofiles/faulty%20XT19.html