Wondering if these would be good replacement 12's for subwoofer

RSorak

• Facilitator
Got the standard VMPS subwoofer w the 12" driver and 15" PR wondering if this driver seems to be a good replacement:
https://www.parts-express.com/hsu-research-v-pf-12100lp-12-subwoofer--299-4020

Thanks
Rick

RSorak

• Facilitator

Wow over 80 views and no opinion.....Some of the reviews of this driver I've read say they put it in a 4 cu ft ported box {About the size of the VMPS sub, I calc 4.12 for it} and the resonant freq was in the low 20's....I'm hoping the Passive Radiator works about the same as the port.

Stimpy

HSu subs have a very good reputation for sound quality.  And the driver specs look good,  for use in a vented/passive radiator design.  But, there's no why to truly tell if you'll like it or not, without trying one.  Though, I see no reason it wouldn't work.  Still, it wouldn't surprise me, that you'll need to upgrade the stock passive, to something with greater excursion.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390-pr-15-aluminum-cone-passive-radiator--295-504

RSorak

• Facilitator
They arrived yesterday and I threw them in the cabinets.....WOW! Even w/o any breakin time these things rock. I plan to post measurements when I get some time. My initial impression is the suspension on these woofers is much stiffer than the stock driver, but they sound awesome. Running about 400 watts into them, the stock PR's seem to be doing ok.

A_shah

I own a HSU VTF MK 2 15" subwoofer since 2016 use it with my HT system the unit call rattle the windows doors sits in the corner since it  is a very large unit . As  it is a variable tuning unit( VTF)  I also sometime will use it with music with my two channel system as a sealed unit ( uses two foam plugs to seal the openings) but the best performance seems to be with home theater system  :popcorn:

Asghar

RSorak

• Facilitator
I just hooked up REW last night for the 1st time since getting the subs going, and the response from these drivers w/o any equalization is nearly flat from 20-200hz. I'm really impressed with how nice the real time plot is.....I'll do some sweeps in a day or 3 and post them. The drivers seem to be more than the cabinets can handle as at some frequencies the back panel rattles. I can push my hand on it and make it stop. I'm thinking of screwing/glueing a piece of angle iron diagonally across the rear panels to stiffen them.