Elac B6 upgrade

Ultralight

Re: Elac B6 upgrade
« Reply #60 on: 12 Nov 2015, 10:30 pm »
This is an absolutely fantastic thread!  THANK YOU both - Andrew & Danny - for your open dialogue.  The open, transparent, non-defensive dialogue is just wonderful.  Thanks.
UL

brother love

« Reply #61 on: 12 Nov 2015, 11:21 pm »
This is an absolutely fantastic thread!  THANK YOU both - Andrew & Danny - for your open dialogue.  The open, transparent, non-defensive dialogue is just wonderful.  Thanks.
UL

+1. Truly a honor to hear & learn from 2 giants in the industry IMO.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #62 on: 12 Nov 2015, 11:36 pm »
UL
+ Another!

What a fantastic thing to see a bit of the collaboration between the inventor and the modifier of these speakers! Hopefully it can continue and give those of us interested in such things the opportunity to see 2 greats giving insight and input on speakers.

We all know that there are going to be trade offs at this level of dollar per speaker. This conversation reveals some of the thought process that went into the decisions.

I heard an early version of the Elac's back at the Newport show and managed to chat for a minute with Mr. Jones (I have previously had the pleasure of getting to talk to him while he Demo'ed the TAD's at both RMAF and Newport). I was very impressed with the performance of these Elac's and was looking forward to when they became available. I wanted to hear what happened in the "Real World" when they were hooked up to inexpensive Electronics in an every day listening environment. The results have been pretty much what I expected.

Glad to see Danny is offering some upgrade paths for them.

Looking forward to more in this thread!

Thank you Danny and Andrew!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #63 on: 13 Nov 2015, 04:18 am »
Nice thread.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: 13 Nov 2015, 04:29 am »
Oh I know. My point is that you accept that it works, but you can't explain how it works. And in audio often times you don't need to know exactly why something works if the results are known and repeatable.
Actually Danny it's very well known how/why it works. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #65 on: 13 Nov 2015, 11:39 am »
Thanks for the great thread  Danny and  Andrew. Awsome to see two designers of this calibur having a constructive conversation publically.

As others have said,  welcome to AC Andrew :beer:

RDavidson

« Reply #66 on: 13 Nov 2015, 02:48 pm »
Danny and Andrew, this is one of the best threads to come along in awhile. Thank you, both!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #67 on: 13 Nov 2015, 03:22 pm »
Hey Charles, It's okay. We're all good.

Cool. It is a pleasure and honor actually to read the Guru's comments so far. It was the snide comment about the GR thread that got me. Danny and Andrew and Russ oh my ! Keep it going.

charles

luckyguy

« Reply #68 on: 13 Nov 2015, 03:57 pm »
Speaking for myself, this thread is probably the most informative for speaker dynamics and construction I have ever read.  Just wonderful and greatly appreciated for a novice like me.  I have become a Danny Ritchie and Andrew J fan in just a few days. :D

NeilT

« Reply #69 on: 13 Nov 2015, 04:08 pm »
Actually Danny it's very well known how/why it works.

Why, jtwrace?
Momma always said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

Neil

Brad

« Reply #70 on: 13 Nov 2015, 05:53 pm »
As several others have said, thanks to Danny and Andrew for this open discourse  :thumb:

Oscillate

« Reply #71 on: 13 Nov 2015, 06:26 pm »
"As several others have said, thanks to Danny and Andrew for this open discourse"

+1

Meicheng

« Reply #72 on: 13 Nov 2015, 06:43 pm »
Its great whenever the designer of a product can contribute his/her thoughts here on the AC forum. 

jcotner

« Reply #73 on: 13 Nov 2015, 07:26 pm »
Very interesting discussion no doubt, but I am wondering Danny what kind of speaker you could
create for $490 (Cost of B6 and upgrades)?
Could you make something that would surpass the upgraded speaker
for that amount, if you had control of all the design decisions?
Maybe too much work and time to know the answer,
but for the same price point I would be curious to see how you
tackle the exercise.

Danny Richie

« Reply #74 on: 13 Nov 2015, 08:03 pm »
Very interesting discussion no doubt, but I am wondering Danny what kind of speaker you could
create for $490 (Cost of B6 and upgrades)?
Could you make something that would surpass the upgraded speaker
for that amount, if you had control of all the design decisions?
Maybe too much work and time to know the answer,
but for the same price point I would be curious to see how you
tackle the exercise.

I have designed completed speakers in this price range for other companies. Remember the X-LS Classic from AV123? These were reviewed by Audioholics, Affordable Audio, Home Theater and High Fidelity, GoodSound, Tone Audio, Consumer Guide, Prillaman.net, and several others. They received two Product of the Year awards, a Best Buy award, a Budget Speaker of the Year, and seems like there might have been one or two more that I can't remember. An upgrade for that model offered by the Skiing Ninja was also reviewed by Tone Audio. They were originally released for $199 a pair then then at $219 a pair. I now have them as kits for $109.  8)  http://gr-research.com/x-serieskits.aspx

I did these two for Carnegie Accoustics: At $399 a pair these sold out really fast too: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114282.0  And I still have stock on these: http://gr-research.com/davanti.aspx

I have no plans to do any more completed speakers though. It's too much to stock and warehouse for me. And right now I just don't have the space for it. I already have six containers full of product that I pull orders from every day. That's enough for now. And completed speakers take up a lot more room.

brother love

« Reply #75 on: 13 Nov 2015, 09:11 pm »
The X-LS Classics & X-LS Encores were incredible bargains especially given the finer cabinetry & grilles. Superb speakers. I always thought av123 sold those as "loss leaders" to get people interested in more expensive upgrades.

The Pioneer BS-22 speakers & others designed by Andrew Jones were excellent speakers that were dirt cheap. Incredible bargains.

Haven't heard the ELAC line yet, but reviews indicate that Mr. Jones hit yet another home run for us budget audiophiles. Looking forward to hearing them.  :thumb:

lowtech

« Reply #76 on: 13 Nov 2015, 09:39 pm »
I have designed completed speakers in this price range for other companies...

Are any of these companies still in business?  Just curious, for the record.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #77 on: 13 Nov 2015, 09:45 pm »
Geez...

srb

« Reply #78 on: 13 Nov 2015, 10:10 pm »
Geez...

That's why I do maintain an Ignore List, but unfortunately ignored comments still show up when quoted.  :?

I'm not terribly surprised, but there does seem to be a bit of unnecessary stick poking from several members in this topic.

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 13 Nov 2015, 10:22 pm »

Well Mike, for the record. Nothing about that is relevant to this discussion. And I think you know the particulars for why one of the companies mentioned is no longer in business, and those particulars are relevant either.