Elac B6 upgrade

Danny Richie

Re: Elac B6 upgrade
« Reply #160 on: 5 Mar 2018, 03:15 pm »
Hey gkannan,

Yes the heavy vinyl tiles are ideal. And you can place them on the outside of the cabinet if you want. You will have to figure out a way to glue them on.

You can also upgrade the cap and resistor used in the woofer circuit.

I think the speaker terminals that you are referring to are these: http://gr-research.com/electracabletubeconnectors.aspx  Read through that material. It is very enlightening.

Mito147

« Reply #161 on: 21 Sep 2018, 07:19 am »
Hallo
I just did internal bracing on my Elac B6 becouse the problem with resonances. I think that the resonances are gone now.

Jon L

« Reply #162 on: 29 Nov 2018, 09:46 pm »
So now that many of us bought the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 on sale, any plans for crossover upgrade kits for them?  :green:

wushuliu

« Reply #163 on: 30 Nov 2018, 01:39 am »
So now that many of us bought the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 on sale, any plans for crossover upgrade kits for them?  :green:

From what I've read the 2.0 went for a flatter response with the tweeter, which solves one of the big criticisms of the first run. Maybe all the 2.0 needs are decent caps on the tweeter.

The one that *really* begs for a crossover upgrade is the Elac UB5, which was on sale for only $350/pr (!!!). THAT I think has the most to gain from some basic upgrades.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #164 on: 30 Nov 2018, 02:51 am »
......The one that *really* begs for a crossover upgrade is the Elac UB5, which was on sale for only $350/pr (!!!). THAT I think has the most to gain from some basic upgrades.
I was just talking to Dan about this today after I read this thread. I'm planning to send him one to evaluate.

mrhyfy

« Reply #165 on: 30 Nov 2018, 03:08 am »
 would anyone recommend extra stuffing in the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 ?

Glynn

« Reply #166 on: 3 Dec 2018, 03:47 pm »
I did my updates a few months back with all the new Sonic caps and Mills resistor and also I used small 4"X3" kitchen tiles and glue to strengthen the baffle and eliminated the resonance. Put some Sonic barrier from Parts Express instead of No Rez and use the rest of the poly fill from the original box. The box is very heavy now.  I mounted it on a hollow tube metal stand and put some sand inside it. Also, I took off the beauty ring and the tweeter screen. It is now a very good sounding ELAC Debut B6. It elevated the highs which good for me and the lows also. I have the Marantz Pre amp and Emotiva Power Amp that is running it. I am very happy with the outcome. Thank you Danny!!  I will be waiting for what Danny will come up with the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 and/or the Elac UniFi UB5 evaluation.

Danny Richie

« Reply #167 on: 3 Dec 2018, 04:49 pm »
I did my updates a few months back with all the new Sonic caps and Mills resistor and also I used small 4"X3" kitchen tiles and glue to strengthen the baffle and eliminated the resonance. Put some Sonic barrier from Parts Express instead of No Rez and use the rest of the poly fill from the original box. The box is very heavy now.  I mounted it on a hollow tube metal stand and put some sand inside it. Also, I took off the beauty ring and the tweeter screen. It is now a very good sounding ELAC Debut B6. It elevated the highs which good for me and the lows also. I have the Marantz Pre amp and Emotiva Power Amp that is running it. I am very happy with the outcome. Thank you Danny!!  I will be waiting for what Danny will come up with the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 and/or the Elac UniFi UB5 evaluation.

Hey, I tried the Sonic Barrier product. It doesn't have a damper to eliminate or control cabinet resonances, but you did add floor tiles and that will help in that regard.

However, the suspended barrier layer tends to mass load the driver in the upper ranges. The result is a muddy sound in the mid-range. Pull that stuff out and just use some fiberglass insulation and it should open up the sound of the mid-range.

Captainhemo

« Reply #168 on: 3 Dec 2018, 05:31 pm »
You can also buy  sheets /  sometimes smaller pieces of 1" Open cell foam  from   foam outlets.  Use some spray adhesive to attach it tothe  floor  tiles on the side panels.  Leave  an inch or so clearence for the  drivers.
I used to  do this  until  I tried the no-rez....  so much   easier,.

jay

Glynn

« Reply #169 on: 3 Dec 2018, 05:51 pm »
Hey, I tried the Sonic Barrier product. It doesn't have a damper to eliminate or control cabinet resonances, but you did add floor tiles and that will help in that regard.

However, the suspended barrier layer tends to mass load the driver in the upper ranges. The result is a muddy sound in the mid-range. Pull that stuff out and just use some fiberglass insulation and it should open up the sound of the mid-range.

I will try to remove the suspended barrier and use the fiberglass insulation.  I may be replace the Sonic Barrier with No Rez if that will help.  Where can I get the No Rez?
Thank you for all the assistance.

Danny Richie

« Reply #170 on: 3 Dec 2018, 05:57 pm »
I will try to remove the suspended barrier and use the fiberglass insulation.  I may be replace the Sonic Barrier with No Rez if that will help.  Where can I get the No Rez?
Thank you for all the assistance.

You can order the No Rez right from our site: http://gr-research.com/norez24x27sheet.aspx

But if you already added some floor tiles then that will help quite a bit over how they came form the factory. Just removing the Sonic Barrier and adding the fiberglass insulation alone should really help. The No Rez will take the resonance control up a notch.

Glynn

« Reply #171 on: 3 Dec 2018, 06:07 pm »
I will try to remove the Sonic barrier first and see what happen. If that helps then no need for the No Rez otherwise, I will get the No rez from your URL you mentioned here.  Thanks a lot Danny.

danvprod

« Reply #172 on: 29 Dec 2018, 01:40 pm »
Interested in what you can do with the UB5s as well. I like the idea of modding these and upping the performance. They are still available for $316 on Amazon for the pair.

Danny Richie

« Reply #173 on: 29 Dec 2018, 04:18 pm »
Interested in what you can do with the UB5s as well. I like the idea of modding these and upping the performance. They are still available for $316 on Amazon for the pair.

Send them to me and I'll do my thing and give you some recommendations.

maty

« Reply #174 on: 12 Dec 2019, 09:12 pm »
ELAC Debut B6.2 review

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/australian-hifi/20190301/283356178455276

Two of the 6 graphs:

BTW, there are measurements with and without grills.

Danny Richie

« Reply #175 on: 12 Dec 2019, 10:53 pm »
Looks like a lot of upgrade potential.

maty

« Reply #176 on: 13 Dec 2019, 07:13 am »
Yesterday one of its owners asked me one with better flat response, greater sensitivity and front bass-reflex too. The options he raised were cheap. After researching I found the review and advised him that in that price range it would be best to try to improve the one he has.

87 dB and impedance > 6 Ohms ... with 30 watts at 8 Ohms is enough for 80 dBSPL continuous + DR15 at 3 m from each loudspeaker.
https://www.doctorproaudio.com/content.php?2273-calculators-proaudio-sound-dmx&langid=1#calc_spl

You buy one more expensive, beautiful on the outside and then it turns out that they have spent the minimum inside, in the crossover components and with internal resonances.

In addition, we are a species in danger of extinction those who listen to very good recordings with great dynamic range. For modern commercial recordings ...

PS: when I saw the steel nuts I remembered the magnet you used in the first YouTube video of the Klipsch RP-600M.

DaveFred

« Reply #177 on: 12 Jan 2020, 01:28 am »
I see this in so many speakers, what about the baffle is causing the on axis tweeter dip at 3K that fills in off axis, and what baffle shape *wouldn't* have produced this dip?

Thank you,

David.

Danny Richie

« Reply #178 on: 12 Jan 2020, 01:53 am »
I see this in so many speakers, what about the baffle is causing the on axis tweeter dip at 3K that fills in off axis, and what baffle shape *wouldn't* have produced this dip?

Thank you,

David.

Good observation.

It is a typical surface reflection.

A baffle with a larger rounded edge or with a tweeter in a wave guide will produce a different result.

DaveFred

« Reply #179 on: 12 Jan 2020, 05:37 am »
Danny,

Can you think of any examples of bookshelf/stand two cabinets you have seen that won't have this 3K dip?

Thank you,

David.