Seeing GR Open baffle Subs everywhere

celebrat

Seeing GR Open baffle Subs everywhere
« on: 3 Jun 2023, 02:32 pm »
The unique appearance of the GR Research OB subwoofers in audio shows seems to be happening more and more... and not just by GR. Just found this system by chance on Youtube. I know how much these subs add to the Sound Quality of this and every system where they are found. I feel they should have been mentioned in this High-End system.

https://youtube.com/shorts/YIKRKAa47ls?feature=share

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Seeing GR Open baffle Subs everywhere
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2023, 03:07 pm »
That looks like an H-Frame sub, but the woofers don't look like ours

celebrat

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2023, 03:41 pm »
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :thumb:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2023, 04:54 pm »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2023, 06:24 pm »
The woofers used in the GT Audio subs look like the Acoustic Elegance Dipole 12 - https://aespeakers.com/shop/dipole/dipole12/. That's an excellent woofer, one of the few that I would put on par with the servo OB woofers GR uses. 

Based on what I heard, those woofers won't hit 20hz with any kind of power, whereas the GR Research OB subs will go DEEEEEEPPPP with complete authority and ease.  On the other hand, the AE woofers can play higher, even up into them midrange, cleanly.  So it's a tradeoff. 

But to the main point, yeah OB subs are absolutely the way to go for 2 channel systems.  I wish even more companies would give it a go because it's just flat out a better solution. 

For box subs, they can still be useful for things like HT.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2023, 07:34 am »
Am i missing something?

https://aespeakers.com/shop/dipole/dipole12/

Quantity discounts

1-4
$439.00

5-9
$394.00

10-24
$365.00

25+
$439.00

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2023, 10:58 am »
GT Audioworks used GR-Research servo subs in their earlier sub towers.  The Greg changed to non-servo subs in his latest speaker designs.

I use to show the HAL MS-1 Music Server and dspMusik 2x8 as a HiRez music playback at CAF with Greg.  He is really good at planar and ribbon designs with his speakers.  I used his 20in ribbons for my earlier line arrays.

celebrat

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2023, 11:24 pm »
I do think GT Audio does make some excellent speakers and they have been around for a number of years.

I think Tyson put it most succinctly; "But to the main point, yeah OB subs are absolutely the way to go for 2 channel systems.  I wish even more companies would give it a go because it's just flat out a better solution"

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2023, 01:02 am »
I wish there were entry level options.

Use two or three 8 inch or 10 inch in a basic enclosure with a simpler amplification and processing package, and have a simpler open baffle (or even a normal boxed speaker) to compliment it.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2023, 01:18 am »
GR-Research had 8in servo subs that were paired with lower price Rythmik Audio HX300 servo amps.  RA announced an HX310 servo amp and have not seen them since COVID19.  The drivers work well in a OB H-Frame down to 30Hz.  Danny has stock of the drivers, but no servo amps.  The drivers were on the GR-Research website and less expensive than the 12in servo subs but looks to be take off since no new servo amps.

I have 6 of the 8in servo drivers for a project.  I still have used original HX300 servo amps for my 6x12's, and 2x12's, so will probably give it a try if I can get baffles built.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2023, 01:55 am »
What is the dimensions of a single 12 inch box? Thickness of the wood?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2023, 02:07 am »
Usually 1in-1.5in thick MDF.  About 14in x 14in x 14in, but the real info is on the GR-Research website. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2023, 02:37 am »
Let's say: 12 x 12 x 12 for an 8 inch.

24 inch for two eights, add another 20 inch for a horn, ribbon, or tweeter, maybe a midrange as well. Or, omit the midrange and run three eights GT Audio style. Tower speakers that gets your footin the door, and more sensible for the average apartment, condo, or small home.

Obviously,  the amplification and processing needs to be scaled down.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2023, 03:02 am »
Yes, but without the servo amps, the 8in drivers will not preform to the same output capabilities as with the correct amps. 

Lots of people are stuck without the servo amps for these smaller servo woofers. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2023, 06:51 am »
I was envisioning it using normal woofers/subwoofers, a mini-DSP, and normal amplifiers/plate amps. Even if you used a "good enough" passive crossover network, this is just getting your foot in the door.

g3rain1

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2023, 04:42 am »
Isn't there an 8" version of the OB Sub? I though I saw that floating around some where. I desperately need subs but don't have the floor space for the 12 inchers.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2023, 10:44 am »
Yes, there was an 3x8in OB H-Frame servo sub tower I had designed and built.  Works down to 30Hz and up higher than the 12in servo subs.

Problem has been Rythmik Audio and the HX300/HX310 series servo amps not being available.  The larger A370PEQ amps are around and can be used with the SW-8-16OB drivers if requested as OB versions. 

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2023, 01:21 pm »
Curious.  When I built mine we had W frame plans.

But seems like everyone is doing H frames... Is there an audio benefit?

I have to redo mine anyway, so I am thinking to go H frame to make it simpler. I think the W was to make it shorter.

Old picture from the gallery to show what I mean by W

Early B.

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jun 2023, 02:24 pm »
Curious.  When I built mine we had W frame plans.

But seems like everyone is doing H frames... Is there an audio benefit?

I have to redo mine anyway, so I am thinking to go H frame to make it simpler. I think the W was to make it shorter.

I started with a single W-frame and eventually moved to an H-frame. The H-frame is much more rigid and allows for No Rez, so sound quality is improved. Yeah, definitely place your order for an H-frame flat pack. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #19 on: 9 Jun 2023, 03:53 pm »
Agreed, H frames are better.