Cabinet builder / finisher recommendation

brj

Cabinet builder / finisher recommendation
« on: 11 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm »
Hi all.

It's looking like I might finally have to give up on my current builder, so I'm looking for a strong - nay, glowing - recommendation for a person or company to build and finish 6 subwoofer cabinets.  It would be fantastic if they were located in the greater Colorado front range (Denver+) area to avoid the risk and expense of shipping, but I'll deal with that if necessary.

Some details, in case it drives the recommendation:

4 cabinets would house a single Rythmik 12" GR SW12-4 woofer and Rythmik A370XLR2 amp.  These would essentially be cubes with about 1.6 cuft volume.  It would be nice to have at least 2 of these subs mount the amp on a side adjacent to the woofer, rather than opposite, but that can be discussed.  I would prefer these to be gloss piano black, but am willing to discuss a satin black finish.

2 cabinets would house dual Rythmik DS800-3 woofers (opposed, side firing) with Rythmik HX580 amps.  These will have to match the roughly 15.5" x 11.75" footprint of a Gedlee Abbey and have a volume of roughly 0.7 cuft.  (Shape is basically rectangular with a 1.25" radius roundover on the front vertical edges.)  These have to be the ever-challenging gloss piano black.

All other edges would be radiused just enough just enough to break the edge for durability's sake.  I'd envisioned Baltic-birch inner construction with a quality MDF skin to enable finishing, but am happy to take direction from a skilled builder.  Note that I live in CO, an environment that varies from moderately to incredibly dry.  I'm looking for someone with the skills to build solid cabinets that won't telegraph joint seams through a piano black finish a few years down the road.  (This, among other issues, has been an ongoing source of woe with my current builder, so I'm sensitive to it.)  I'd like to keep the cost reasonable of course, but I'm looking for quality and appreciate that there is some cost associated with that.  A proven history and solid communication are key.

So.... any recommendations?

Many thanks!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Cabinet builder / finisher recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2016, 12:43 am »
I might know somebody, he's not going to be cheap, but his skills are off the chart.  I'll contact him, if he is interested I'll forward you his info.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2016, 01:03 am »
Yeah, I know a retired furniture maker in Longmont who is looking for some side projects and could help you out. He has some nice tools including CNC. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you his contact info.

brj

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2016, 04:39 am »
Thanks, guys - much appreciated!

JohnCZ

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2016, 05:11 pm »
Hey DaveC113,
Sent a pm regarding the cabinet builder. Also interested.
John