HAL MS-5 Music Server is available

HAL

HAL MS-5 Music Server is available
« on: 15 Jan 2019, 10:15 pm »
Testing on the next generation HAL Music Server has begun.  It will be called the MS-5.  This will be a quad core cpu fanless system running Windows 10 64 bit OS in the same chassis as the MS-2 and MS-3. 

For folks getting a dspMusikLCD system with the MS-5, Audio Weaver can now be preinstalled and a license can be setup via Danville Signal to run the latest DSP development system for crossover use with modification capability. 

The extra processing power will make things like room correction running on the MS-5 possible along with Audio Weaver. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2019, 07:04 pm by HAL »

HAL

Re: HAL MS-5 Music Server in testing
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2019, 03:41 pm »
First MS-5 Music Server upgrade hardware for a MS-2 chassis arrives today. 

Will be doing the upgrade and see what time is involved to do it.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2019, 03:56 pm »
First MS-5 Music Server upgrade hardware for a MS-2 chassis arrives today. 

Will be doing the upgrade and see what time is involved to do it.

Rich - will you just be doing MS-5s from scratch or as implied above having an upgrade path from an MS-2 to MS-5?  Thx

HAL

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2019, 04:18 pm »
Phil,
If this works correctly it can be an upgrade path for the MS-2 or MS-3 chassis.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2019, 05:50 pm »
Phil,
If this works correctly it can be an upgrade path for the MS-2 or MS-3 chassis.

Thanks!

HAL

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2019, 05:15 pm »
Parts are all here for the MS-2 to MS-5 upgrade, so time to do the mod and see what happens.

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2019, 02:12 am »
Have the first MS-2 to MS-5 system update in work.  The new parts are installed and running, but looks like the driver DVD has a problem.

New DVD disc shipped and hope to have it early next week. 

Then it goes to beta test once it is updated with drivers.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2019, 02:53 am »
Have the first MS-2 to MS-5 system update in work.  The new parts are installed and running, but looks like the driver DVD has a problem.

New DVD disc shipped and hope to have it early next week. 

Then it goes to beta test once it is updated with drivers.

:thumb: good to hear!

HAL

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2019, 09:08 pm »
The first two MS-5 upgrades are done and working. 

Had to have a custom DVD cable made to adapt the original DVD drive to the new motherboard.  The cables arrived today and are working correctly.

These are going out for beta testing to get feedback on the new system. 

HAL

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2019, 01:37 am »
First HAL MS-5 and dspMusikLCD 2x8 is setup with a custom pair of open baffle full range drivers and woofers for a trial demo. 

Looking forward to feedback on the setup with the listening session ongoing.

HAL

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2019, 06:46 pm »
The first HAL MS-2 to MS-5 Music Server upgrade system has arrived for a beta test with the customer that bought that MS-2.  He has upgraded to an MS-3 and now going to compare it to the MS-5 with his system.

HAL

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2019, 05:21 pm »
The HAL MS-5 beta test system is up and running with all the customers systems. 

Sound quality reports all good.  Now for extending listening with his system.

Another HAL MS-5 will be at AXPONA 2019 in the Danville Signal Processing room 358 for show listening from 12-14 April.

HAL

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2019, 08:00 pm »
Here is the data and pricing on the HAL MS-5 Music Server.

The upgrade price from either MS-2 or MS-3 to MS-5 is $450.00+shipping

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2019, 11:27 pm »
Rich - is it a new DVD drive installed with the upgrade or is the old one used (I have a couple of discs with drivers, one for the MS-2 and one for the MS-3, thinking about doing the old MS-2 and not sure I’d be able to tell the discs apart - also the HDMI in the old MS-2 never worked but assume with a new motherboard it is irrelevant)? Does the upgrade price include the 1TB drive(I’d assume not based on the price differential for a new one)? Thanks

HAL

« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2019, 12:06 am »
Phil,
The MS-5 upgrade uses the original DVD SATA drive in the chassis.  The new MS-5 chassis has a different size DVD drive, and will not fit the original chassis.

The new motherboard uses HDMI only for video, no SVGA connector.  HDMI is working correctly on three MS-5 systems so far including the one in beta test. 

The upgrade price is for the standard mSATA 60GB drive.  It will reuse the original mSATA drive in the MS2/MS-3 system.  Just have a backup of files, but everything should work when it is reinstalled in the new motherboard. 

Rich

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2019, 01:07 am »
Rich - OK - then at worst all I'd need to do is throw both discs with the drivers (are the drivers for the DVD drives the same in the MS-2 and MS-3?) in the box.  Files are not a big deal as all I have is JRiver and REW which are easy to install.  My music is on the NAS.  Is the only option 1TB or can one get 120GB for an additional cost?  Just thinking I'd just as soon get a new drive if I'm going to upgrade the guts (the MS-2 I have was early on and has to be over 7 years old I'd think at this point and perhaps even approaching eight) and I'm not sure what OS will be next (I thought I read that they would support 10 through 2023 but not sure) and I just as soon have a bit extra.  Thanks.

HAL

« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2019, 01:35 am »
Phil,
Will only need the driver and Windows OS disk with the MS-2.  Keep the rest as I will install and test with parts here.

Waiting on final input from beta testing the MS-2 to MS-5 now.  If good, then can update yours.

Rich

HAL

Re: HAL MS-5 Music Server is available
« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2019, 07:08 pm »
The beta testing has gone well and the HAL MS-5 was demoed at AXPONA 2019 in the Danville Signal room running The Monoliths speaker system.

The cost of a new HAL MS-5 is $899.00+shipping.   The cost of the HAL MS-2 or MS-3 to MS-5 upgrade is $450.00+shipping.

HAL

« Reply #18 on: 23 Apr 2019, 08:23 pm »
The HAL MS-5 demo unit from AXPONA 2019 is on the way to an MS-2 owner to compare for a possible upgrade. 

Will be interesting to hear his feedback on the updated system.

*Scotty*

« Reply #19 on: 4 May 2019, 05:09 am »
I recently compared my HAL MS-2 to a current MS-5 with an eye to upgrading my MS-2. I spent over a week doing so and I can't hear any difference between the two music servers. I specifically listened for any differences in sound stage height,width,depth or circumambience.
 Both servers sound the same in this respect and vastly superior
my current noise ridden laptop, an ASUS GL703V gaming laptop. There is also no degradation of tonality, transient attack or the rendering of instrumental decay,(ie, the ringing of a triangle for instance). The reverberation present in recordings that are done in real spaces such as clubs or concert halls is also intact and not lost due to short comings in the server.
 Given the aforementioned observations, I am opting for the upgrade and look forward to a future of excellent sound and increased utility given the greater processor power that the MS-5 has compared to the MS-2.
 See specs in HAL's reply No.12 above (page 1 of thread).
It's a very good value for what is essentially a brand new HAL MS-5 music server using your old case.
 Thanks again Rich for giving me the time to thoroughly evaluate the new MS-5 in my system.
Your forbearance is greatly appreciated.
Scotty