Would I benefit from a Wi-fi extender(s)

Huck

Would I benefit from a Wi-fi extender(s)
« on: 3 Mar 2023, 01:02 pm »
Hi:
 Not really looking to replace my Linksys wireless router just yet,but was thinking of going with a wi-fi extender(s).
Looking for something "plug and play"?....what would you recommend? Thanks,Huck

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Would I benefit from a Wi-fi extender(s)
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2023, 04:44 pm »
I use a Nest.  Works very well.

lokie

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2023, 05:21 pm »
yes and no.
I have one I bought from my provider... ATT and it worked seamlessly. Totally plug and play and works great.
I bought another one off of Amazon to put on the other side of the house and it was a disaster. it changed the settings on the router and it took me a half a day to sort it out. Which basically means disconnecting it and trying to get back to normal and then resetting all the passwords with everyone's phones and redoing every wifi connections AND all the ethernet connections. A total PIA!

Huck

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2023, 06:35 pm »
yes and no.
I have one I bought from my provider... ATT and it worked seamlessly. Totally plug and play and works great.
I bought another one off of Amazon to put on the other side of the house and it was a disaster. it changed the settings on the router and it took me a half a day to sort it out. Which basically means disconnecting it and trying to get back to normal and then resetting all the passwords with everyone's phones and redoing every wifi connections AND all the ethernet connections. A total PIA!
Yeah,,,,I don't need any PITA! .Maybe I just go with upgrading my router,maybe that would be the best.Thanks,Huck

js1955

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2023, 02:26 pm »
I used this powerline extender and it worked great on a distant streamer that wouldn't work wirelessly.  Never a glitch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084CZMYNM/?coliid=I1IZYCDL40LHWE&colid=3CYUXA852AIKX&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Of course, you need to attach your device to it with an ethernet cable.

Huck

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2023, 02:34 pm »
I used this powerline extender and it worked great on a distant streamer that wouldn't work wirelessly.  Never a glitch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084CZMYNM/?coliid=I1IZYCDL40LHWE&colid=3CYUXA852AIKX&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Of course, you need to attach your device to it with an ethernet cable.

Thanks...not reallly looking to add any extra 'hardware'(extenders,cables,etc,plus most of my outlets are full.After some thought,if I do anything,I think I would upgrade my existing router and go from there.
Not a 'real problem' yet,signal wise.Thanks,Huck

jk@home

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2023, 11:16 am »
Highly recommend the Eero mesh system, definitely plug and play.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2023, 01:48 pm »
There are many good wireless networks. I went with an Asus mesh network for our home in India because I need at least 5 nodes in our 4000+ square foot (brick and concrete walled) 2 story apartment, and adding a node takes less than 5 minutes. Asus makes adding a node idiot-proof.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2023, 02:46 pm »
Highly recommend the Eero mesh system, definitely plug and play.

Not exactly.

A friend tried installing eero in his house but it does not support the multicast protocol needed for Bluesound so he had to return it and purchase a Netgear Orbi mesh network.

Stercom

« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2023, 03:27 pm »
I use NetGear's cheaper mesh system - The Nighthawk. It was easy to install and works well in my 3 story home. I think it was $250 at Costco.

JMW73

« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2023, 01:03 am »
Following this... I have a dead spot in my garage.  I got an extender, but it created a different wireless name for that zone.  For Roon, all the devices need to be on the same network.  So that wasn't a good solution.  I'm fairly tech savvy, but this is above my paygrade for figuring out a solution.

JackD

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2023, 01:58 am »
When you setup the extender it would have come up on the network with it's factory assigned name but also with the option for you to change the name.  So to resolve your issue you need to go back in the setup and change the extenders name to match the rest of your network.

JMW73

« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2023, 08:21 pm »
When you setup the extender it would have come up on the network with it's factory assigned name but also with the option for you to change the name.  So to resolve your issue you need to go back in the setup and change the extenders name to match the rest of your network.

I'll have to try that, thank you.