Not Again ! Speakers for ten grand (used) if possible.. or new .

Rusty Jefferson

...I have old 60's and 70's music computer based and Rega P9.  Seems ten large don't get you much these days ,, but one can try....
Listening to old rock records?  Check out some JBL 1400 Array speakers.  They sell used for $5-6k. You'd have enough left over for subs, or a dac or cable upgrade.  Not your father's JBLs.  Excellent dynamics, solid bass, and shockingly smooth top end. Floyd Toole approved too!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Wilson, TAD, GR-Research are all stunningly excellent.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
+3.  Nothing I've heard beats the GR Research OB speakers like this one:

Tyson, which MTM kit is that?  Is it the NX-Otica top with the servo 12" subs?

2bigears

:D are you just saying that cause you have S-7's ?  I know you have heard nearly every speaker around ,, but is that an honest statement ?  I do know the bass as I had the Super V's.  the bass was the best , The top end wasn't so hot.  Could a guy chop off two speakers on the extremes with minimal effect just to downsize them a bit ?  They look unreal. A pair of twin servos and off to the races.  Hummm.  :D

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
The Super 7 and the older LS9 are top notch across the full musical frequency, although they achieve it differently.  Both need to be placed carefully to get the most out of them.  The servo bass of the 7 and the line array of the 9 have subtle differences in their lower octave, but both are stunningly real even at 25 hz.  On both, the electrostatic drivers are superior in midrange and highs to the V series.   The Super7 is absolutely as good as Tyson says for the full range.  As for the LS9, I think they create a symphony hall more realistically, but probably give up a sparkle compared to the 7... up in the ultra highs I can't hear anymore.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Tyson, which MTM kit is that?  Is it the NX-Otica top with the servo 12" subs?

Yes, the NX-Ottica MTM kit on top of dual OB servo subs. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
:D are you just saying that cause you have S-7's ?  I know you have heard nearly every speaker around ,, but is that an honest statement ?  I do know the bass as I had the Super V's.  the bass was the best , The top end wasn't so hot.  Could a guy chop off two speakers on the extremes with minimal effect just to downsize them a bit ?  They look unreal. A pair of twin servos and off to the races.  Hummm.  :D

Yes, it’s the servos with a muuuuuccchhhhhh better top end than the Super V.  I heard the Super V several times at RMAF but refused to buy one because the top end was too rough and aggressive.  With the Super V, the bass was world class but the mids-highs were a big letdown. 

The NX-Ottica rectifies that.  The mids-highs are every bit the equal of the bass.  Which makes it one of the top 5 speakers I’ve ever heard.