Gen 3 Sonicaps

Infidel

Gen 3 Sonicaps
« on: 1 Aug 2023, 04:24 am »
Can anyone explain the differences in the sonic characteristics between the Gen 1 and Gen 3 capacitors? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
Re: Gen 3 Sonicaps
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2024, 06:39 am »
It is common for me to receive no notice regarding new threads, and while I do not spend much time here, I completely dropped the ball here.  Just seeing this.  We may be long past this helping you, but... 

There is no G3 at this time.  I think some have called the Stage III, a Gen III.  The G1 is a metalised polypropylene, and the S3 is a true film and foil.  While the G1 might be the most balanced MPP out there, the G3 has a warmer richer presentation.  The S3 does not have more detail, it has more refined detail.  The S3 is not the warmest, or richest cap I have ever heard, but it retains our superior balance benchmark.  The S3 was created to be a budget alternative for the Sonicap Platinum.  The idea sat on the shelf for 10 years (since 04').  Once we discontinued the Platinum (09'), we looked at the S3 once again...  In 14' we ran a production run of our final prototype.  We wound all the drums of custom film we had.  A little over 480 lbs worth of caps.  Rel (our winder) started talking about selling the company later that year...  SC was going to buy Rel the following year...  SC underwent a big shakeup in 16' resulting in new ownership.  Before SC could get reestablished, Wilson bought Rel.  Initially, Wilson could not have built the S3 properly, and now they would be way too expensive if they could.  So, we recently just decided to sell off some of these parts to a few of our OEMs.