Preamp for newbie

Chalkdust

• Can't I live when I'm young?!
Preamp for newbie
« on: 5 Dec 2020, 04:27 am »
Hey all!
I am looking for advice on a preamp.  I am new to the hobby, but have been fortunate in my finds so far.  I found a great stratos with the extra capacitance, i have tekton Lores, a schiit modi3 dac, a nice disc player, and a pioneer avr (vsx-52) that I use as a preamp.  I am looking for my first real stereo preamp.  I’d like to keep the budget around $300 or less.  I am looking for suggestions.  I see new products from emotiva and schiit, but also see used preamps from adcom, b&k, and parasound for good prices. What are your thoughts? Where should I start?

GeneS

Re: Preamp for newbie
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2020, 02:54 pm »
Yeah, you have a good start.
How many inputs do you need? Do you need any digital inputs? I’m guessing, for now, you want to stick with solid state?

geerock

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2020, 03:51 pm »
If your budget is $300, I would just stick to the pre from the Pioneer until you can afford something with a little more meat on it.  Maybe you can find something used.  One thing that may fit your bill is the tube Shiit Saga+ that goes for $399.  That would be a nice step up from the Pioneer and tube pre with SS amp is a nice combo.
Plus you get a try out period.

Chalkdust

• Can't I live when I'm young?!
« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2020, 05:08 pm »
Thanks for the advice!  I was thinking of waiting a bit, because the system sounds really good to me.  I am not too interested in a new dac; I think I’d rather keep things separate for now. 
The Schiit Saga+ is definitely on my short list, but I don’t know how it compares to something like the parasound zpre3 or the Project pre’s.