Moving from Jolida 502b to Candela/Khartago SE combo

williamjay

Hello, I am trying to understand what I might expect to hear going from my Jolida 502b integrated amp to the Candela/Khartago combo?  Would I notice a dramatic difference in sound quality?  My current speakers are Merlin TSM-MM speakers with an Epik Legend subwoofer.  I like the sound already.  But could I expect a significant bump in performance with the preamp/amp combo?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Also, which one would you buy first?  I could run the amp through my AVR initially.  I could run the preamp in front of the Jolida until I could buy the amp.  Doing both at the same time might be a stretch right now.

aaron.luebke

Re: Moving from Jolida 502b to Candela/Khartago SE combo
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2020, 09:41 pm »
I’ve not had a Jolida so I have no way of representing what you might hear.  The absence of response here is probably due to the same circumstance.

I can tell you that after moving to Odyssey Audio products I’ve not looked back nor forward to other products.

Klaus has excellent gear.

williamjay

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2020, 11:40 pm »
Thank you for the response. It would be great to hear from someone who did have experience with both Jolida and Odyssey. But I understand many people may not have listened to a Jolida product.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2020, 06:35 am »

Based on my own experience I'd buy the Candela first. I think you would be very satisfied with the Candela.

ricmon

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2020, 05:07 pm »
While can not comment on either product I do have a Jolida Fusion DAC/Transport.  Jolida now Black Ice Audio offers upgrades to all of their products.  I had them apply server of those upgrades to my DAC then stuffed it with Telefunken tubes and it sounds amazing.  The real question is do you want a solid state sound or tube.   As far as the Odyssey gear people seem to like it.

Ric

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2020, 05:25 pm »
  What is the sensitivity of your speakers ? Power from Jolida ? Power from Khartago ? Using a separate [preamp may give you a more open sound stage, more focus and detail. You will need another pair of ICs as well. Hopefully the same as you are using now.
  If you gain more power or a better synergy with your speaker go for it. If not punt.

charles

geerock

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2020, 05:19 pm »
You have a pretty nice combo now.  Those Merlin speakers have a nice holographic sound with tubes.  I have the all in Kismet in Stratos monos from Klaus and I use them with a Don Sachs tube pre.  Love the sound.  But I also have a Carver 275 that I plug in at times and that's impressive too.  Going to Khartago you may miss thatvJolida tube sound with those 6550 or kt88 power tubes.