Hi quality breakers

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Hi quality breakers
« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2017, 03:44 pm »
The DIN rail breaker are safe when installed for their intended use.
But a residential AC power system is not their intended use.
There are many rules and code articles about residential power systems.
All you can do is use top shelf products from a wholesale electrical supply store.

Note that any residential system update might require GFCI or AFCI breakers.

mikeeastman

« Reply #21 on: 15 Dec 2017, 03:59 pm »
Din breaker are used in solar systems for both D/C and A/C and meet all the codes. I purchased them from Graingers so the must meet code or they won't sell them. I got the recommendation for these breakers from the tech guy at a large wholesale   supply store. Also if your concerned about safety as I said my power is supplied by an inverter and in the 25 years I've never blown a breaker because the inverter shuts down quicker than the breaker can blow. The only exception to this in my experience is if there is a sub panel that is far from the inverter, but we're talking about 80'-100' feet. My sub panel is 3' from my inverter.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #22 on: 15 Dec 2017, 04:34 pm »
Of course DIN rail breakers meet code for their intended use.
There are 1000 pages of NEC codes and a lot more UL codes.
Grainger carries them because they are used in industrial products.

jea48

« Reply #23 on: 15 Dec 2017, 06:34 pm »
The DIN rail breaker are safe when installed for their intended use.
But a residential AC power system is not their intended use.
There are many rules and code articles about residential power systems.
All you can do is use top shelf products from a wholesale electrical supply store.

Note that any residential system update might require GFCI or AFCI breakers.

For a sub panel used to feed branch circuits feeding an audio system I do not see an NEC code violation using Din rail breakers.

Providing,

The breakers are Listed for their intended use. Breakers are sized correctly for the branch wiring and rating of connected outlet/s. Therein receptacle outlet/s. 
Enclosure used to house the breakers is Listed.
A dead front is provided to protect the user from energized live parts.
The assembly and wiring of the electrical panel is done by a licensed electrician.

The problem with the Isoclean audio grade electrical panel system is it uses 32 amp breakers.  That does not meet NEC code if the breakers are supplying power to two or more 15 amp receptacles or a 20 amp receptacle. The maximum circuit breaker that can be used is 20 amp, per NEC. It doesn't matter if the branch circuit wiring is #12  or #10 wire or even larger.

Jim

« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2017, 04:12 am by jea48 »

festuss

« Reply #24 on: 24 Dec 2017, 08:07 pm »
Din rail breaker are commonly used in Europe and in solar system in the USA. I'm using SqD Homeline breakers and sub panel now, it has 2 circuits 1-15 amp and 1-20amp. The enclosure I plan to use is this https://www.solar-electric.com/baby-box.html. Or I thought I might try making one and line it with copper sheeting. Din breakers have wire connecters for both input and output so tho wire is connected directly to the breaker, which I feel gives a better connection than a plug in type breaker. I feed the sub panel with #6 cryoed wire, tied directly to my inverter and the dedicated circuits use #8 cryoed romex. As my power is supplied by inverter it only puts out 120v.

We wire for fire. ...oy vey

festuss

« Reply #25 on: 24 Dec 2017, 08:10 pm »
They are single pole breakers, 1-15 amp and 1-20amp. It seems logical that if the wire makes a difference than the breakers would also. I use din breakers, both A/C and D/C all the time in my solar installs and they meet all the codes. I'm just looking for the highest quality I can find.
Oy Vey, wire for fire, do you make up your own specs and code?  Breakers "sound better"?!!! holy moly!

mikeeastman

« Reply #26 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:29 pm »
I replace existing breakers ( Homeline ) in my dedicated sub panel with Din rail ones made by Schneider Electric. They've only been in for 5 days so they probably need more burn in, I also replace the wire going from my inverter to my dedicated sub panel. The  changes I've noticed so far is my bass has more punch also before if I played a blank track (one used to test floor noise in car audio) and turned the vol all the way up and laid my ear on my tweeter there was a slight bit of hash , now it's dead quiet. So at least to my ears different breakers makes a difference in SQ.

mikeeastman

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:29 pm »
Double post.

maty

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:56 pm »
Proven professional solutions versus other audiophiles is always a good choice and cheaper.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #29 on: 22 Jan 2018, 05:56 pm »
I replace existing breakers ( Homeline ) in my dedicated sub panel with Din rail ones made by Schneider Electric. They've only been in for 5 days so they probably need more burn in, I also replace the wire going from my inverter to my dedicated sub panel. The  changes I've noticed so far is my bass has more punch also before if I played a blank track (one used to test floor noise in car audio) and turned the vol all the way up and laid my ear on my tweeter there was a slight bit of hash , now it's dead quiet. So at least to my ears different breakers makes a difference in SQ.
Yes the Schneider Electric breakers are much better than HomeLine.  But many people will have issues with NEC, UL and inspectors.

If they sound that much different, you must have corrected some problem along the way. If breakers burn-in, well then they trip.

mikeeastman

« Reply #30 on: 22 Jan 2018, 06:22 pm »
The only thing I was looking to do was eliminate that hash at full vol. That's gone now so what ever fixed it, new breakers, different wire or magic, the hash is gone and system is dead quiet that's all I care about.  :D

Folsom

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jan 2018, 06:23 pm »
Square D QO are good, but Homeline is junky.

The Square D QO panels have copper bus bars. The Homeline uses aluminum...

mikeeastman

« Reply #32 on: 22 Jan 2018, 06:39 pm »
I used the Din rail breaker so I didn't have to worry about the bus bars.