short notice event

Berndt

short notice event
« on: 21 Mar 2008, 05:55 pm »
Next Wednesday  a few friends are coming over.
improntu dac shootout
I'd say 6pm for a starter value.
Pm for details.

Berndt

Re: short notice event
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2008, 12:25 am »
Since I'll be home for spring break we can start earlier, how about 4pm?
Audio Kinesis Jazz Module speakers, Randal Museum linestage, Exemplar exception II linestage, Jolida music envoy monoblocks, atma~sphere 60w monoblocks, modded dynaco 30, Paridesea Dac, Van Alstine tube Dac, PS audio usb Dac, also the hagerman usb dac connection.
Want to try diferent DACS, hear some lower powered tube amps and try HD vs oppo 970.
Pm me for address.
Regards, Bill

GBB

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2008, 01:23 am »
Bill,
Sorry I won't be able to make it but I'm leaving on a business trip on Tuesday and don't get back until Saturday.
It sounds as if you've made a lot of changes in your system - I'm particularly interested in hearing those atmosphere amps one of these days.  I've always been a fan of OTL amps.  How do you like them compared to your other amps?

Getting back to the DAC shoot out - are you only comparing the ones listed in the note or are there others as well?

---Gary

Berndt

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2008, 04:14 am »
3 Dacs and some amps is more than enough for our weird science.
Bill

kurtbauer

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2008, 05:11 pm »
Hi Everybody,

I will plan on bringing the following modest digital offerings:

• PS Audio DigitalLink III
  • AVA Ultra DAC with 6N1P Upgrade
  • P-Tech P-3a w/ ModWright Signature II Mods and Monolithic P-3 Power Supply
  • HagUSB USB-to-S/PDIF Adapter

I'll also bring over an Dynaco ST-35-based integrated amp that has an internal Scott Nixon NOS DAC along with an AVA OmegaStar 440EX power amp to check out.

See you then.

KB

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2008, 09:02 pm »
Sorry BB, I'm a no-show again  :(

We move from here March 31...with movers on the 29 and 31...so there's much packing to do in meantime.

Then, we're homeless  :wink: for 12 days (gonna' go beachin' for a spell...)...then we move back to a new home (same town) on April 12.

I'd dearly love to hear your Audio Kenesis speakers, too  :thumb:  Someday - hopefully....

Enjoy - John

Sonny

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2008, 03:51 pm »
Sorry I missed the gig...
How was it???
Results?
T

low.pfile

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2008, 09:44 pm »
Hi Everybody,

I will plan on bringing the following modest digital offerings:

• PS Audio DigitalLink III
  • AVA Ultra DAC with 6N1P Upgrade
  • HagUSB USB-to-S/PDIF Adapter

I'll also bring over an Dynaco ST-35-based integrated amp that has an internal Scott Nixon NOS DAC along with an AVA OmegaStar 440EX power amp to check out.

See you then.

KB

Wow, Kurt goes from Zero DACs to TWO!  Sounds familiar (...me).  I couldn't make the early evening event....work and all.

......EDIT: Oh, make that THREE. Didn't recognize the Perpetual Technologies shorthand.

Wondering if there was a consensus?

Ed

« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2008, 09:57 pm by low.pfile »

kurtbauer

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2008, 05:21 am »
Well, actually there were four DACs. We added a California Audio Labs Alpha with the 24/96 upgrade and RCA tubes (I thought they were Mullards but was mistaken).  There was a fifth DAC in the Dynaco ST-35-based integrated amp I brought over. It is a Scott Nixon dackit.  We also played the AVA 440EX amp for a while. 

As for results, I'll take a shot with the hope that others that were in attendance will chime in.  But let me start by thanking Bill and Denise for hosting the madness.  The BBQ chicken was KILLER.

We had a pretty loose set of tests,  We checked out Ed's DIY ICs along with a some other rectifier tubes (sorry I don't remember what they were).  David brought over his Atma-Sphere M-60 OTL monobocks too.  We changed out a lot of stuff but here is what was constant. 
  • Source: Lossless files via Windows Media Player on a Vista machine out put via USB
  • Preamp: Randall preamp with Bill's cool dude new Telefunken EF806 tubes
  • Audio Kenesis loudspeakers with Bill's usual cables

The DACs tested were:
  • PS Audio Digital Link III, stock
  • AVA Ultra DAC with 6N1P (Sovtek) Upgrade
  • California Audio Labs Alpha w/ 24/96 Upgrade and RCA 12AX7s

The only unit that has an integrated USB port is the PS Audio and we used it.  For the others we used a HagUSB USB-to-S/PDIF Adapter and a 0.5m S/PDIF cable.  The USB cable was standard computer grade issue.  It's worth noting that due to the big crash on the GGB last night, Peter could not make it so the Paradisea DAC didn't either.  Peter, you were missed.

I'm not sure if we had any clear winners in the DAC category other than they all sounded good.  The PS Audio and the AVA fared very well.  There are two upsampling settings on the PS Audio DLIII.  We agreed early on that the 96kHz sounded better than 192kHz so we left it on 96.  Some thought the AVA had more depth and was a bit more lush than the PS Audio.  Neither were harsh and presented themselves well.  The P-3a was popular as well but, to be honest, were what you might call "fatigued" but the time we got to this one.  The only real knock on the Alpha was that female vox were a little "shouty."  I wonder if this would change with different tubes.  All four sounded good in Bill's system.  It's no wonder I have such a hard time deciding which one(s) to get rid of. 

We also tried out the AVA amp.  With 220 MOSFET Watts, it's a close power match with Bill's scary-sexy 200-Watt Jolida monoblocks.  A few of us thought the AVA had slightly better bass and high end but the vocals on the Jolida were superior.  Hypothetically, I'd choose the Jolidas for overall sound and cosmetics over the AVA but it's close.  Factoring in the price differential and the convenience of sand would make the decision more difficult though.

I hope that this is of some use though I'm a lame reviewer.  Please chime in guys!

KB

ptruce

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2008, 09:13 pm »
Hi Bill:  Sorry I couldn't make the event - I was on my way when I heard about the wreck and turned around.  Probably should have just gone for it as it only lasted an hour apparently.

Sounds like a lot of fun.  In the past when I have compared DAC's it seemed like the differences were pretty subtle - especially compared to the differences between preamps, amps and cables.  Are the newer DACs, like the PS Audio a lot better than the old ones?  Are the differences pretty easy to pick out?

Your capacitor has not arrived from China yet - the plane must have stopped for re-fueling.  As soon as it gets in I will figure out a way to get it to you.  Hopefully in person.

Peter Truce