JUST a Quality Powerstrip

James Edward

JUST a Quality Powerstrip
« on: 23 Dec 2023, 11:08 pm »
I would like a power distribution block/strip for my system. No switch, no surge protection, no led, circuit breaker, etc. I currently use a Wiremold L10320, but it’s been a while and I figure I’d like to ‘upgrade’ to a more pimped out one with heavier gauge wire and better power cord. Cullen, Furutech, are a couple on the radar.

Any boutique brands out there that I’m unaware of, please let me know.

Thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: JUST a Quality Powerstrip
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2023, 01:11 am »
I would visit the nearest hardware store and buy a dozen outlets,  wiring, an aluminum or plastic box to your liking, a few meters of AWG 10 or 12 hard wiring and after a few hours of fun investment the job is done.
Dont walk, run from audiophile outlets and power strips.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2023, 02:22 am »
VH Audio

Cardas Audio Nautilus

Acoustic Revive

JackD

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2023, 03:07 am »
If you're upgrading and just want a plain powerstrip, then the main upgrade would be the outlets for a slightly improved sound. Look for powerstrips with Furutech outlets based on your budget. Ironically, the Furutech brand of powerstrips are ridiculously overpriced, IMO.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2023, 03:18 am »
I had three friends and two acquaintances who were all jewellers, whom three of them are now dead. One of them used to make Rhodium baths for me in power sockets and IC connectors, I will not tell the price because yous wont believe.

Audiophile Rhodium connectors are sold at premium prices.

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2023, 03:20 am »
Since Steven at Audio Sensibility is also a Furutech dealer I'm sure he would be happy to swap out the Denki of Japan outlets on the unit I linked for Furutech branded ones for a price. He carries six different grades of Furutech outlets.  I've owned one of his Statement power distribution blocks with Furutech outlets for several years now.

Theronbo

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2023, 05:38 pm »
In the IT field Isobar is considered to build a quality product.

4 socket for $65

Tripp Lite ISOBAR4ULTRA Isobar 4 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 6ft Cord, Right-Angle Plug, Metal, Lifetime Limited Warranty & Dollar 50,000 Insurance White https://a.co/d/aGrUTgy

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2023, 05:56 pm »

Tripp Lite ISOBAR4ULTRA Isobar 4 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 6ft Cord, Right-Angle Plug, Metal, Lifetime Limited Warranty & Dollar 50,000 Insurance White https://a.co/d/aGrUTgy

:thumb:

I've been using the ISOBAR4ULTRA for years. The 3-levels of outlet isolation really works. Years ago when I had a pin printer it would cause all sorts of havoc with the computer, the ISOBAR4ULTRA isolated the printer and the problems disappeared.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2023, 06:07 pm »
The Furutech powerstrips are the best deal in audio. Unbelievable quality and performance for the price. I recommend the e-TP609 NCF.

https://www.furutech.com/2017/11/24/15943/

decal

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2023, 06:32 pm »
Look thru the Audio Circle Market Place.

James Edward

« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2023, 01:58 pm »
Well, I went with the Audio Sensibility- the price was where I wanted, and they seem like an upstanding place to do business with. https://audiosensibility.com/blog/products-2/power-distribution/#!/Impact-SE-Power-Distribution-4-plex/p/49910224/category=2595838

All told, price was roughly US $230.00.

Here’s what I plug in: Luxman L-590AXII, Esoteric K-07X, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon SB, Bluesound Node

What I want to achieve: Most of the companies, including Audio Sensibility, tout isolation of outlets, so I’ll be plugging the K-07X and Bluesound into one pair and the Luxman and Pro-Ject into the other. Will it make a difference? Who knows…

Like the L10320, the new power block has no switch, LED, circuit breaker, surge protection, or filtering. But it does have a better, heavier gauge power cord, better outlets, passive EMI/RFI blocking.

If nothing else, It’ll be a do no harm change, and quite possibly an improvement.

Thank you for all the replies- hopefully the piece makes its way from Toronto quickly, and I’ll post my thoughts.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 26 Dec 2023, 04:35 pm »
   Seems like a lot for the money. Yes separating Digital from Analog matters. Give it some time to settle with the Teflon dielectric. Do not rush to judgement.

charles

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2023, 01:01 am »
   Seems like a lot for the money. Yes separating Digital from Analog matters. Give it some time to settle with the Teflon dielectric. Do not rush to judgement.
charles
Both audiophile misunderstandings.

a] The best plan is to have all the audio components on the same AC power circuit.
But this is more important with RCA rather than balanced or digital interconnects.

b] At the theoretical level, PVC is a better AC power cord and cable insulation than Teflon.
High tech dielectrics have much better high frequency characteristics than PVC.
This is the opposite of a power conditioner filter.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2023, 02:10 am »
After auditioning a few Operas and Symphonies I only feel confident with PVC awg 10 hard wiring, usually safe until 70ºC, rubber is a better electric insulator, but more expensive than PVC.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 27 Dec 2023, 04:06 pm »
Both audiophile misunderstandings.

a] The best plan is to have all the audio components on the same AC power circuit.
But this is more important with RCA rather than balanced or digital interconnects.

b] At the theoretical level, PVC is a better AC power cord and cable insulation than Teflon.
High tech dielectrics have much better high frequency characteristics than PVC.
This is the opposite of a power conditioner filter.

Are you talking from hands on experience ?  Have you tried it ? No misunderstanding at all. It just sounds better in our experience. More dynamic and open sound stage. BTW each dedicated line is the same length to avoid ground issues.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #16 on: 27 Dec 2023, 08:22 pm »
I'm talking from reading the experts on the subject like:
Keith Armstrong
Jim Brown
Henry Ott (RIP)
Neil Muncy (RIP)
Ralph Morrison
Henry Ott (RIP)
Bill Whitlock

The main reason for powering everything from one circuit is:
To keep the length of the Safety Ground/Protective Earth wires from one audio unit to the other components as short as reasonable.
We want all the units at the same chassis potential.
Keeping the dedicated AC power lines the same length is just another audiophile misunderstanding. (but people that should know better have made it)

viggen

« Reply #17 on: 27 Dec 2023, 08:51 pm »
The Furutech powerstrips are the best deal in audio. Unbelievable quality and performance for the price. I recommend the e-TP609 NCF.

https://www.furutech.com/2017/11/24/15943/

i bought the etp60 about 20 yrs ago.  a year ago, added Flow-15 for the NCF filtering. 

https://www.furutech.com/2013/02/21/1560/

only thing i compared against are audio magic's ac filters from back in the day and furutech is better.  the Flow-15 made a big difference in my system too.

James Edward

« Reply #18 on: 27 Dec 2023, 09:36 pm »
I’m simply plugging the digital components into one duplex and and analog into the other. Same circuit. As I said, I have no idea if this will make a difference, but better outlets and heavier gauge wire, along with Stillpoints ERS material can’t hurt.

Emil

« Reply #19 on: 28 Dec 2023, 02:30 pm »
 PS Audio original juice bar?
Pop up once in a while for about 100 bucks or so.
I had one. Well made. Uses PS Audio's powerports