MCH K-38, more than meets the eye (and ear)

John Casler

MCH K-38, more than meets the eye (and ear)
« on: 27 Mar 2016, 02:02 am »
As some know, the NuPRIME  MCH K-38 is an 8 channel amp of 210wpc

Pairs of channels can be bridged to 400wpc each.

Most know that with OLD SCHOOL amps, bridging actually doubled distortion, increased S/N, and also made them less stable:x

Wonder of all wonders, BRIDGING the Channels of the K-38 actually makes them SOUND BETTER!!!  :thumb:

Production on these incredible amps has been a little slow, so it took awhile to fill all the PreOrders and for me to finally get mine.

Well it was well worth the wait.  In fact, it has been far beyond my expectations.  Recently, Rustydoglim posted that the MCH K-38 was close, if not as good, as the REF-20!!!!   Really?  How could that be?

I have spent a few hours playing with this amp with BRIDGED CHANNELS and am hearing EXACTLY what he was talking about.

With an exceptional switching frequency of 550kHz it has those wonderful "even order harmonics", providing the ultimate level of detail and transparency, while simultaneously giving you DYNAMIC DEEP Bass, with incredible leading edge MACROS and Rich Harmonic Overtones.

All this for $2999 retail.

So if your dream amp is the REFERENCE 20, but if $7600 seems like a lottery win might be needed, take solace in the fact, for less than 1/2 that, you can get 4 channels of a full 400wpc to light up virtually ANY speaker in a Sonic Spirit that might only be exceeded by our REFERENCE SERIES gear.

The "take home" message here, is the MCH K-38 IS NOT just some multichannel Home Theater amp.  THIS baby is a serious contender, and if it weren't for the REF 20, it would be the top of the line.

Now High Performance sometimes means "special handling" and the specific design and engineering that went into this amp might require a couple tweeks to get full performance which I am right now exploring.

Will report on that later.

alexreusch

Re: MCH K-38, more than meets the eye (and ear)
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2016, 05:54 pm »
I can just confirm John's statements. I am one of the early MCH K-38 owners and this baby rocks! Really very powerful but also really audiophil for listening great music. This is not just a multichannel Home Theater amp. And for the price almost a steal. Great job, NuPrime!  :thumb:

giordy60

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2016, 09:45 pm »
Hi John
pre av to match MQ K-38 is the 'HD-AVP?
nuprime has a pre AV fully balanced?

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2016, 09:56 pm »
Hi John
pre av to match MQ K-38 is the 'HD-AVP?
nuprime has a pre AV fully balanced?

Yes, if I understand your question fully, the HD AVP is the corresponding Multi-Channel and HT Preamp/Processor/Streamer/Server for the K-38.

However, only the front three (LCR) outputs have XLR output connections, the surround outputs are single ended.

giordy60

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2016, 10:13 pm »

However, only the front three (LCR) outputs have XLR output connections, the surround outputs are single ended.

why this technical choice?

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2016, 10:17 pm »
why this technical choice?

I can't answer that, since I didn't make it, but it is probably related to the amount of space available on the back of the HD AVP.

giordy60

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2016, 10:31 pm »
as in all pre av there are connections that will never be used, while a set of pre-out connections XLR would use the many.
are looking for a pre AV to replace my Lexicon MC-12   :?

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2016, 10:34 pm »
as in all pre av there are connections that will never be used, while a set of pre-out connections XLR would use the many.
are looking for a pre AV to replace my Lexicon MC-12   :?

Here is how the Real Estate is allotted:

giordy60

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2016, 10:39 pm »
Use only active monitors with cannon inputs  :wink:

alexreusch

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2016, 12:01 pm »
Guys,

I own the HD-AVP/MCH-K38 combo and it is really a very nice solution. Regarding XLR cabling: I have connected the three front channels (left, right, center) with XLR and in a bridged amp configuration (using 6 amp channels). The two surround channels (SL and SR) are connected with RCA for the other two remaining amp channels. So I am using all 8 channels in a 5.0 setup (no subwoofer).