• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
Re: Oldest piece of audio gear you currently use
« Reply #200 on: 19 Sep 2021, 08:39 pm »
Carver C1 preamp - 1985

mgalusha

« Reply #201 on: 20 Sep 2021, 02:40 am »
A pair of Dynakit Mk-II amps, not all the time but they mate really well with my speakers every now and then.

Craig B

« Reply #202 on: 20 Sep 2021, 11:02 am »
<--- VPI Aries Scout, going on about 16 or 17 years old now.

Kruds

« Reply #203 on: 20 Sep 2021, 11:19 am »
Electra-Voice Aristocrat full-range speaker originally used as a monitor in a studio.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #204 on: 20 Sep 2021, 01:13 pm »
My ears. Still holding up.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #205 on: 20 Sep 2021, 01:44 pm »
Bob Brines FTA-2000 (single driver floor standing transmission line loudspeakers) that I commissioned 16 years ago.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #206 on: 20 Sep 2021, 02:07 pm »
Technics SL-150 MK 2 manufactured circa 1980. It's in the system but lazy me streams most of the time. My wife has a thing for KVNF radio from Paonia, CO.

drmike

« Reply #207 on: 20 Sep 2021, 02:50 pm »
sp10 mk11, a gem!

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #208 on: 20 Sep 2021, 03:51 pm »
A tie between:

Ohm Walsh 4XO (will be selling them soon)  :cry:
VPI HW19 mk iv (keep for a lifetime)  :D

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #209 on: 20 Sep 2021, 04:28 pm »
sp10 mk11, a gem!
Yep.  I have one set up also. 
I just took a Victor TT-81 of similar vintage out-- lost power.  One more project to add to the list.

Skilly

« Reply #210 on: 7 Oct 2021, 03:57 am »
The nostalgia bug bit me hard. In the late 70's my first receiver was a Vector Research VR-2500. (rated at 22 watts) I had it for a few years but never really got to appreciate the full range of the unit as my speakers were mediocre at best. I always enjoyed the sound in my Koss headphones though.

I got a huge deal on a NAD 3020. ($80 bucks new in open box.) I had that NAD in my system through most of the early 90's using it primarily as a pre-amp for my Nakamichi PA-7. I loved that combination. I got tired of moving that beast and kids came along and music was not good once the 2000's arrived. Long story short, I started over recently.

In my mind I always remembered the Vector Research sound and the TOL for them at that time was the VR-7000, but it was out of my price range back then. Later models came for a while but they suffered in quality and sound to the original line. I decided to search for an obtain a VR-7000 model and I would service it myself and restore it to glory. I found a solid unit with very little cosmetic wear. The pots were scratchy and the tape monitor switch was filthy. I replaced the Relay, just because, and tested caps and replaced some of them, i was surprised to find the largest caps were is goo shape. The seller said he was the second owner. Who knows about that, but it did seem like it was in excellent condition and was well cared for. No evidence of moisture anywhere. So, after some very rudimentary service, and a minor bias adjustment. It tried it out.

I am running GR Research X-LS Encores. No fancy Cables, no fancy power conditioners. I have slightly fancy interconnects for the tape deck, and from my Schiit modi3 dac. The dac is connected to the digital output on my TV. The Sound: Magnificent! effortless power into the speakers, I can not turn the volume past 1/3 without rattling the windows. And what beautiful sound as well. I can not compare it to the old NAD/Naka PA-7 combo, since the speakers are completely different. I can say that it has been everything I remembered and more. I have been rediscovering my music. New details have been emerging from the play back that I had not noticed for decades.

I guess you may say I am a Vector Research Fan boy. Most people never heard of this brand. It was not around long, they shut down in the early 90's in a less than honorable way I think. As near as I can tell, they made 3 receivers in the initial offering from 1978 to 1980. It was all down hill from there. The originals used analog Tuners and were built (allegedly) by crown radio of Japan. They were sold around the country and some in Military base outlets. I first saw them at Hifi Buys in Indianapolis. Back then on e could compare units with different speaker configurations. The VR7000 bested everything else in the room. Marantz, Sansui, Yamaha, Pioneer, you name it. Who knows, maybe the rooms was not set well, but in A B testing the VR-7000 just seemed to be a huge bang for the buck.

Skilly

« Reply #211 on: 7 Oct 2021, 04:28 am »
While I am here I might as well tell a horror story. My father recently passed away and my brother and sister were cleaning out his house before sale. Deep in the basement unconnected to anything I found two huge square cabinets. They almost looked like end tables. There was fabric on the front fact and around the sides. The back was ugly ply wood with an old paper sticker on it. There were 2 sets (2) of plain steel screws. on each. There was no front Badge of any kind. Printed on the back were the letter B300.

So, yes, I knew they were speakers but how in the world could these be anything but old? 

So I put them in a dumpster and had them taken to the Dump!!! True story. and Hurts to think I never even tried to listen to them.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #212 on: 7 Oct 2021, 06:36 pm »
My own Dynaco FM-5 tuner.

At least it started life as a stock FM-5 back in the early 1980s. Upgraded with our own Super Tuner board set a few years later, then to our last new board set for that design, our Super Tuner Two.

I could not leave that alone though and about 10 years ago I swapped out all the current buffers on the circuit boards to LME49600 ultra low distortion types.

It is still in service here playing most every day (mostly on the one remaining public classical radio station in the area).  It still sounds really nice. Still worth listening too. I got that little Sony super trick digital tuner a few years ago.  Listened to it for a few days and then put it away.  It may have had all the bells and whistles and superior reception, but musically it was no contest to the highly reworked FM-5.

rcag_ils

« Reply #213 on: 12 Oct 2021, 02:30 am »
Large Advent

I just pulled them out earlier today from my basement where they have been sitting for the past 20 years. Checked the foam surround on the woofers that I had put on about 20 years ago and they were still good. I regret that I haven't given them enough listening time. So I fired them up in my system and WOW, with speakers like these, who needs the $5500 speakers of today? These have amazing sound at low volume level, good for late night listening without bothering anyone. Will post pics later when I have time.

Next project, the Tobin mod for my Bozak.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #214 on: 12 Oct 2021, 04:44 am »
From the late 60's, but with a reworked crossover by D. Richie...

Altec Flamencos

Digi-G

« Reply #215 on: 12 Oct 2021, 07:52 pm »
I don't listen to it very often but I have a silver-faced Pioneer Tuner TX-6800 hooked up.  Circa 1978.

Much, much easier to use than the digital tuner built into my Denon receiver.  Sounds better too.

jjss49

« Reply #216 on: 12 Oct 2021, 07:57 pm »
carver lightstar direct reference passive linestage - circa 1992-93

still have my micro seiki dd40 tt with ma 505 arm from 1977 ... but it is not my active tt

gene9p

« Reply #217 on: 17 Feb 2022, 03:57 pm »
from 1976 ..still working like a charm in my parents home..my first venture into "high end"..came with a dual 1226 turntable and AR speakers...the table and speakers are gone..ugh, but the receiver lives on

http://www.thevintageknob.org/onkyo-TX-2500.html

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #218 on: 17 Feb 2022, 04:50 pm »
Thorens TD-145 TT from 1976 and a Pioneer PL-55x TT from 1977.  Also have a Luxman T110 Tuner from the 70's and a Technics SU7600 integrated from 1977.  Currently, only the TT's are being used.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #219 on: 17 Feb 2022, 05:16 pm »
I have a Pioneer SA-8500 that is used for music on the patio. Had it gone through a few years ago and sounds great.
I believe it was produced in1975 or so.