Virtue One.2 - First Impressions

se-riously

Virtue One.2 - First Impressions
« on: 29 Apr 2010, 07:26 am »
So I received the One.2 last week, but didn't get a chance to open the package until today.  First thing I did was open the case and make sure that the soft start fix was added (which it was) and the jumper set to full range.

After a mere 20 minutes of listening (I was using the pre-outs from my Onkyo Pro PR-SC885 for a quick test to make sure everything works) on the GR Research OB-5's, I was thinking to myself this amp is ridiculously good.  Definitely too good to believe.  Low noise floor (I'm expecting even better w/ batteries) and excellent dynamics.  I thought to myself, damn it sounds way too good with a stock power supply for just burn-in purposes, and it makes me question going to battery power.  So being the skeptic that I am, I checked the power supply and confirmed that it shouldn't have sounded this good.  That's because the amp came with a Mepos STDA65-S09 switching power supply, which is an upgraded power supply (30V, 80W) even though I only paid for the economy supply.  Seth - I'm happy to return what I didn't pay for and receive a stock one in its place (provided you pay for shipping  :wink:).

More impressions to come, after I try out the 'sub out' tomorrow...  But I do have a couple of questions:

1)  I see a total of 4 caps that could be replaced with Sonicaps (which I prefer).  Do I replace all 4 or just 2 if I will be using the sub out?
2)  The Two.2 uses a larger reserve cap (27000uF versus 22000uF on the One.2).  Is this cap a twist-and-remove, or is it soldered and hot-glued to the board?  I'm thinking of putting in the larger cap since I'll be replacing the input caps anyway.  Also, is 27000uF the max that can be used?

Thanks in advance.....

wsturner

Re: Virtue One.2 - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2010, 02:38 pm »
se-riously You are discovering what others here have experienced. The ONE.2 performs WAY!!! above what it is priced at.

dvenardos

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2010, 03:42 pm »
Not a definitive answer because I have the Classic Two and not the new One.2.
I believe the second set of caps if for use when using the high pass filter. One set for full range and the second set if you move the jumper to filter out the low end.

You can up the capacitance as high as you want, you just hit the point of diminishing marginal returns at some point. The capacitance in the amp smooths out voltage fluctuations and provides reserve power for large dynamic peaks.

se-riously

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2010, 05:39 pm »
Not a definitive answer because I have the Classic Two and not the new One.2.
I believe the second set of caps if for use when using the high pass filter. One set for full range and the second set if you move the jumper to filter out the low end.

You can up the capacitance as high as you want, you just hit the point of diminishing marginal returns at some point. The capacitance in the amp smooths out voltage fluctuations and provides reserve power for large dynamic peaks.

Thanks.  I think I was able to answer my own question, after reading the owner's manual.   :duh:  For the One.2 and Two.2, the position of the jumpers determine which caps are being used:  2.2uF for full range (highlighted in purple) and 0.1uF for high pass filtering (highlighted in red).

Regarding the reserve cap, if it's just twist-and-pull, it may be a cheap mod to improve the dynamics without spending a lot of money.  The caps are around $8 on digi-key, which is less than a pricey fuse.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:02 pm »
You got it!  My shipper Marcel giveth and he taketh.  Somebody was short a volume knob yesterday and now a power supply rich!  With a first impression like that, please keep the PSU unless you upgrade and then we can swap and settle up... It's a great supply isn't it?  80w but sounds really wonderful!

About the reserve cap... you can go as big as you want but 35mm x 50mm is all that will fit.  I have some extra of those red ones (custom, made for us, 50v) from the TWO.2 run.  In fact, Jason has some and you can offer him an egg mcmuffin + shipping or something to get one from him (no charge) while supplies last.  Let me warn you though... desoldering the big cap is not for novices.  There are also diminishing returns.  A battery supply is like a huge cap itself... so you'll probably be OK with the one in there.

se-riously

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2010, 07:09 pm »
Thanks Seth!  PM sent to Jason T.  I've never changed a big cap before, but I may try.  If not, I may have a TV repair shop do it.  I figure that the big cap gives the amp even greater flexibility although, if I try the sub out and decide to use it, I may not actually discharge the cap anyway.  Hmmm.... More to think about.....

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2010, 07:21 pm »
The big electrolytic cap matters... it does, but it's already oversized and beyond more bass (which the higher current supplies are giving you in spades)... the sonic character isn't as significant as that imparted by the DC blocking (ie. input caps) that you pointed out. 

James has bypassed a 2.2uF Supreme with a Silver 0.2uF, or something like that.. the overall capacitance is 2.4uF... but the sonic character is different.  It's as if you soldered the ends of our 2.2uF  and 0.1 together in the same places.  They're HUGE... but really great sounding apparently.  I'll leave the explainin' to James.

se-riously

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2010, 08:39 pm »
The big electrolytic cap matters... it does, but it's already oversized and beyond more bass (which the higher current supplies are giving you in spades)... the sonic character isn't as significant as that imparted by the DC blocking (ie. input caps) that you pointed out. 

James has bypassed a 2.2uF Supreme with a Silver 0.2uF, or something like that.. the overall capacitance is 2.4uF... but the sonic character is different.  It's as if you soldered the ends of our 2.2uF  and 0.1 together in the same places.  They're HUGE... but really great sounding apparently.  I'll leave the explainin' to James.

James is doing something similar to what Danny prefers when running full range, which is a 2.2uF Gen1 Sonicap that's bypassed with a .01uF Sonicap Platinum.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2010, 08:51 pm »
Yeah, that sounds right.  James T explained it to me yesterday and strongly countered my suggestion that it was snake-oil.  Seems totally legit.

dvenardos

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:37 pm »
There has been quite of bit over on Danny's circle on the sonicap platinum bypass caps and people with ears that I trust have unanimously had good things to say about using them.

Yeah, that sounds right.  James T explained it to me yesterday and strongly countered my suggestion that it was snake-oil.  Seems totally legit.