Two great new finds -- Michael Buble & Pink Martini

ekovalsky

A local audiophile came over today and as usual I found some great new music.  These are definitely worth picking up!

Michael Buble "Michael Buble"

Pink Martini "Sympathetique"

These are on Amazon and they have sound clips.  Recordings are both first rate.  Track #1 of Buble is the best version of "Fever" I've heard.  We listened to three tracks on "Sympathetique" and all were awesome.  Killer version of Bolero on there too.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Two great new finds -- Michael Buble & Pink Martini
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2005, 05:40 am »
Quote from: ekovalsky
A local audiophile came over today and as usual I found some great new music.  These are definitely worth picking up!

What type of music is that ? Catchy name...Pink Martini.... 8)

ekovalsky

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2005, 06:10 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
What type of music is that ? Catchy name...Pink Martini.... 8)

Lonewolf,

"Pink Martini" has a little of everything.  An editorial on Amazon summed it up pretty good

Somewhere between a 1930s Cuban dance orchestra, a classical chamber music ensemble, a Brazilian marching street band and Japanese film noir is the 12-piece Pink Martini.

Read the reviews on Amazon, there are a lot of them and most are pretty accurate.  I'd love to see them live.   From the CD I can see the band totally consumed by the music.  They're based in Portland, Oregan ... maybe someone here from that part of the country knows of them.  Fortunately the recording is very good -- I think it was taped live somewhere in Portland in 1996 or 1997.

Last weekend I heard a local 13-year-old girl named Talia perform live (she opened for Vienna Teng).  She was phenomenal and no doubt will be very famous one day.  I bought a CD from her and got it autographed.  Unfortunately it is the absolute worst recording I've ever heard -- completely unlistenable on my home system.  Sounds okay in the car and on my Verizon phone/mp3 player though :lol:

BeeBop

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2005, 10:27 am »
Michael Buble (pronounced Boo-bley) is a lot like Frank Sinatra only with better audio quality.

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2005, 03:10 pm »
...er, I agree that Michael sings some of the same songs that Sinatra made famous, and that he sings very well, and that the sound quality of his CD's are better than Sinatra's but the similarities end there.  IMO, Frank Sinatra is the best male singer who ever lived.  Although Buble would give the contestants on American or Canadian Idol a run for their money, I don't think you can ever compare him to Sinatra at any stage of his career.

On a similar note, my little cousin is an awesome hockey player.  He's been the best player on every team he's ever been on and among the best in every league he's been in.  His name is Jimmy Sansone and he recently received a scholorship to St. Mary's college in Minnesota.  In his age group, he's one of the top players in the Chicago area.  He can score and he's very tough.  By your logic, I guess you could call him a "smaller version of Gretsky, who is physically tougher".  

Just kidding, although he's very talented, I would never invoke the name of the Great One.  It's just not fair to Gretsky's talent, plus it's a standard that is totally unfair to any to apply to any player.  Same for Sinatra.  

I caught an interview with Placido Domingo a while back on 60 minutes.  the interviewer asked him who his favorite all time singer was.  It took Placido about one second to come up with an answer, it was Frank Sinatra.  He said he loved Frank because, although he was far from technically perfect, when he sang he conveyed his emotion better than any other singer that Domingo had ever heard.  High praise from a man who is regarded by many as one of the best singers of his time.  

Sorry to hijack this one, I'm also a fan of Buble and feel he's a fine young singer.  The world needs more people like this who can carry on the tradition of singing some of my favorite songs.  Plus, this guy has a bit of an edge that seems to be missing from many modern singers.  The music, although old, sounds fresh.  I'm also a very big fan of Madelyn Perreaux.  At the moment, she's my favorite.

Cheers!

J

eico1

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2005, 06:37 pm »
Someone got me Pink Martini knowing I am a big Doris Day fan(big band days)...but great version of Que Sera, Sera!

steve

gitarretyp

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2005, 07:46 pm »
For those of you that like pink martini's first album, you should check-out their second album "Hang on Little Tomato." Although i really like the first album, i think their second album is even better.

Also, they're currently on tour to support their new album. http://www.pinkmartini.com/

BeeBop

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2005, 08:17 pm »
Quote from: jackman
...er, I agree that Michael sings some of the same songs that Sinatra made famous, and that he sings very well, and that the sound quality of his CD's are better than Sinatra's...

Good grief. He SOUNDS a lot like Sinatra. Actually I prefer his version of "Come Fly With Me" to Sinatra's.

Brad

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2005, 11:02 pm »
I've been listening to Pink Martini all afternoon from their website.
Thanks for the tip - I'll be buying at least one of their CD's.

ekovalsky

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2005, 12:53 am »
Quote from: Brad
I've been listening to Pink Martini all afternoon from their website.
Thanks for the tip - I'll be buying at least one of their CD's.

"Sympathetique" is awesome.  I've listened to it several times already.  I purchased their second disc "Hang on Little Tomato" today and hope it is as good.

Brad

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2005, 01:34 am »
I noticed that they are playing at the end of the month in Austin, with the Austin symphony orchestra - that should be a good show :D

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2005, 02:01 am »

These are on Amazon and they have sound clips.  Recordings are both first rate.  Track #1 of Buble is the best version of "Fever" I've heard.  We listened to three tracks on "Sympathetique" and all were awesome.  Killer version of Bolero on there too.

Hi Eric,

I thought I had mentioned this guy before, but it was buried in some other thread.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11090&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

ekovalsky

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2005, 02:26 am »
Quote from: John Casler
I thought I had mentioned this guy before, but it was buried in some other thread.http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11090&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

Indeed you did.  Too bad I missed that thread else I'd have been enjoying this disc for the last year !

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2005, 10:26 am »

A few months ago I purchased the new Jane Monheit cd and discovered that she sings a song ("I won't dance") with Michael Buble.  They sound great together!  Her new cd is quite good and also worth checking out IMO.

I also had the chance to see Jane live in Albany, NY, and was very impressed!  :inlove:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002JP4K0/qid=1115634235/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-2665434-9928903?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

gitarretyp

« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2005, 08:52 pm »
I noticed that they are playing at the end of the month in Austin, with the Austin symphony orchestra - that should be a good show :D

Yep, i already have third row center'ish seats for it  :D

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2005, 11:26 pm »
Along similar lines is the Pepe & the Bottle Blondes - Latenight Betty. Pepe sang backup and lead on a few cuts of the Sympathetique CD.

I had fun torturing SoCal audiophiles with this CD at Saturday's gathering.

WerTicus

gitarretyp

« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2005, 07:18 pm »
Quote from: gitarretyp

Yep, i already have third row center'ish seats for it  :D

The Pink Martini was last night, and it was fantastic. I highly recommend you guys check them out if they're playing in your area Tour Dates

ekovalsky

« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2005, 10:25 pm »
I wish they were coming to Phoenix.  They do have a scheduled tour date in Los Angeles in September, maybe I'll go...

Merky

« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2005, 09:06 pm »
Maybe I am the only one who has this impression...

I have heard Buble's "It's Time" CD and he uses a lot of brass backup but the CD quality just can't carry it - too bright. Is this just me?