Hobbs X-Statik Rebuild & Upgrade

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Hobbs X-Statik Rebuild & Upgrade
« Reply #40 on: 1 Apr 2021, 02:28 pm »
Thanks guys! Im really happy with how they're coming along!
I glued up the base this morning, so its never coming off. Here's hoping I didnt make a mistake in the wiring... :wink:

Keep it up, Hobbs. I'm gonna put you to work on my next set of speakers  :lol:

LMAO I mean it would be a lot more fun than my day job... So I'm not against the idea... :lol:
Plus there's a bunch Danny's other speakers I'd love to build at some point too... X-Omni/MTM/SLS, the NX-Treme/Otica/MTM, not to mention the Super Mini & older N-3 models... esp if i can ever get that deep cup mod finished.. :p

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #41 on: 1 Apr 2021, 02:57 pm »
Are you going to get some OB subs as stands for the NX Studios?  If so, then they can also be used as a baseline for all the variations of the rest of the NX series as well (and the Super series, too).

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 1 Apr 2021, 03:02 pm »
That's the plan! My U-frame subs are great, but don't dig quite as deep as I'd like, but for the time being, I certainly can't complain! :D

Tyson

« Reply #43 on: 1 Apr 2021, 03:07 pm »
Oh did you already build out some servo OB subs, just in a U frame?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 1 Apr 2021, 03:17 pm »
Nah, I got them from Danny back in November, same day my AV123 X-Statiks arrived actually.

Theyre dual 8" servo towers. They work great in smaller/medium rooms, but not the best for larger rooms like the Dual 12" towers are.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 1 Apr 2021, 03:18 pm »
Accidentally quoted myself instead of editing the post.. lol

Tyson

« Reply #46 on: 1 Apr 2021, 04:08 pm »
Oh yeah, the dual 12's are a whole other level.  You'll be happy when you build them :)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 9 May 2021, 03:48 pm »
Been slowly plugging away at these, mostly filling, sanding & priming ad nauseum. And now that im back home, time to get some more work done.
Hoping to have these done before the end of the month.

I finally came up with a plan to hide the 6 mounting screws on the AV123 cabinet without removing them outright.
The heads of the bolts are 1/2", so I used a 1/2" drill bit to countersink the bolts a little further into the cabinet.
Worked like a charm! 8)

So far, I just puttied over the screws. just gotta let it dry, sand it flush, and finish with a skim coat and a lil sanding before a quick layer of primer.

Hopefully, the only way to tell the difference once they're done will be to look at the backs. The AV123 cabinet will have its original badge and a larger binding post cup that is surface mounted. The new cabinet will have a smaller flush mounted post cup.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #48 on: 10 May 2021, 06:02 am »
Thanks! I'm really happy with how they're turning out!

I actually just finished up the bass circuits too!  :thumb:

And while these boards were printing, I used up the last of my spray primer & paint to cover the woofer motor structure, I'll give it a another quick coat tomorrow, if possible, then a couple layers of clear. They're looking great so far, tbh! Only painting the two woofers that will be in the OB portion, the remaining two are the original covered models.

Next up, Mid circuits boards!  :thumb:

Hi Hobbs excuse my ignorance but did you us iron core inductors in the bass section of the new cross over? Is that what the Xstatics use?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 10 May 2021, 12:18 pm »
Hi Hobbs excuse my ignorance but did you us iron core inductors in the bass section of the new cross over? Is that what the Xstatics use?

Yup! That's the standard part used for the bass section of the X-Statik. Laminated iron core inductors are good quality, esp at these higher values.

Trying to make/use an air core inductor as the same value would be both very expensive as well as incredibly massive & heavy.
Plus typical issues like signal smearing, esp where these are used, is less of an issue, since the wavelengths below 200Hz are so long when compared to the mid & treble sections.

The mid and tweeter sections all use air-core inductors where it matters most. :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 14 May 2021, 11:41 pm »
Okay! Between work, weather & such, I'm finally making some progress on these again. Mostly just sanding, refilling & sanding again, but i got a quick coat of primer on the AV123 tower.
Can't even tell the bolts are hidden in there~ :thumb:

Gunna wait for this to dry, and start working on cutting the norez for this cabinet and getting the crossovers mounted & wired up.

Tho I'm gunna be moving in the next couple weeks, so most of my free time will be spent boxing things up and sorting things to trash, donate or sell ASAP.

So it'll probably be a bit before I can get them finished. But all that will be left is painting, clear coating and final assembly~  :green:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 19 May 2021, 12:13 am »
Got my first couple coats of black lacquer on!  :thumb:

Gunna let it sit out here for a bit to make sure it's properly hardened before I try to handle it and bring it onto the back porch.

Gunna give it a light sanding tomorrow and a couple more coats before I start on the 2nd cabinet.

delnia19

« Reply #52 on: 19 May 2021, 03:52 pm »
Very good thread. Was curious about these speakers. Now interested! Any reviews abouts how these sound?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #53 on: 19 May 2021, 06:58 pm »
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/av123-x-statik-loudspeaker-2

Mind you this is for the stock AV123 version.  A crossover upgrade with Sonicaps takes away the slight grainy texture mentioned in the review.

I've been enjoying mine for over 10 years.  Even at current pricing they are a steal.

Chewbacca

« Reply #54 on: 19 May 2021, 07:21 pm »
Got my first couple coats of black lacquer on!  :thumb:

Gunna let it sit out here for a bit to make sure it's properly hardened before I try to handle it and bring it onto the back porch.

Gunna give it a light sanding tomorrow and a couple more coats before I start on the 2nd cabinet.

Nice job Hobbs! Looks great! :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #55 on: 19 May 2021, 07:49 pm »
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/av123-x-statik-loudspeaker-2

Mind you this is for the stock AV123 version.  A crossover upgrade with Sonicaps takes away the slight grainy texture mentioned in the review.

I've been enjoying mine for over 10 years.  Even at current pricing they are a steal.

Yeah, I got to listen to them for a couple weeks before i had to give up one due to shipping damage, but it the stock AV123 models sounds very similar to the base X-LS but with a more clear and spacious midrange, and bass that digs a little deeper. Tho as mentioned, there's definitely a bit of gritty texture, esp in the treble.

I'm definitely excited to finish these bad boys up and see how the fully upgraded versions compare to my X-LS

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 19 May 2021, 11:30 pm »
2nd cabinet has is first couple coats on!  8)

Ill do another quick coat in about 20-30 minutes, then it'll be left to cure overnight. Ill lightly sand it tomorrow and hopefully get it's final primary coat. 
After that, it'll be down to clear coating both towers. And finishing the assembly! :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 19 May 2021, 11:32 pm »
Nice job Hobbs! Looks great! :thumb:

Thanks! I'm really happy with how they're turning out!  :thumb:

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #58 on: 26 May 2021, 01:35 am »
Yup! That's the standard part used for the bass section of the X-Statik. Laminated iron core inductors are good quality, esp at these higher values.

Trying to make/use an air core inductor as the same value would be both very expensive as well as incredibly massive & heavy.
Plus typical issues like signal smearing, esp where these are used, is less of an issue, since the wavelengths below 200Hz are so long when compared to the mid & treble sections.

The mid and tweeter sections all use air-core inductors where it matters most. :thumb:

Makes sense. Thanks Hobbs.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #59 on: 26 May 2021, 02:15 am »
Makes sense. Thanks Hobbs.
Hi Hobbs will you have them out into the room for listening and pushed back when not or a variation in between. Have you done your LOTS yet? :)

Cheers
SC