845 Tube Amp

mca

845 Tube Amp
« on: 30 May 2010, 03:10 am »
Has anyone heard or own an 845 tube amp with their Daedalus speakers?

david12

Re: 845 Tube Amp
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2010, 06:34 am »
  Yes, at the moment I am using a Viva Solista , 22 watt, 845 SET, with my new Da-RMa's. It is a wonderful amp and makes a great sound, but I feel the frequency extremes, particularly the base, could be better.

I am a fan of Marty at Bound for Sound and I still remember a comment he made about the DA1's, some years ago. This was to the effect that the speakers were efficient and could be driven by low powered SET's, but that conventional coned as opposed to horn speakers, particularly with multiple drivers like the DA1, would open up with more power. A confirmation of that, maybe that Lou demonstrates his speakers with the 150 watt Modwright amp.

As it happens, I am going to audition the Emille K40 today, as the name implies, a 40watt tube amp. Next week I am going to listen to the Pathos Inpol, a 50watt Class A, tube/SS hybrid. I will report back about the benefits of more power

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2010, 03:49 pm »
I have some original DA-1's ,like what Marty heard in the shop now and the signature sound is there but no comparison to the new models. I don't feel these  need power to open up,  especially with the AP.
I often use SS amps because I like the slam and raw power, not because the speakers need them. have to run but I welcome this thread and will write more later.

thanks,
lou

david12

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2010, 09:18 pm »
   just to report back, the Emille K40, is in no small way, a step ahead of the Solista and I will probably be keeping it. There was a softness and lack of grip to the 845 amp, which has resolved and with better base too.The speakers really do sound very good indeed with the Emile, not that they sounded bad before of course.

mca

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2010, 11:29 pm »
That K40 is one sweet looking amp. Did you get it somewhere in the states?

david12

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2010, 12:22 am »
 No, in the UK, where I live. I think Emille have a presence in the US, but I am not sure.

Berto

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2010, 03:19 am »
Although not a 845, I highly recommend the Atma-sphere OTLs.  Every instrument and layer of music is completly delineated, great top to bottom end freq, and very fast all contribute to the most 3-D sound I've yet to hear.  When I first heard them I was pretty amazed at how transparent the sound was. :drool:

Better yet there customer service is as good as it gets. I know , I've called them about 4x since I got my MA-1s two weeks ago, and Like Lou, and Dan W. , Ralph is a pleasure to talk too. My monos do heat up the room (w/14 power tubes each side) too much in the summer. He explained I can run them with as lil as 4 power tubes as long as I reduce one of the fuses on each side, now that one con is a moot issue :thumb: